MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
Edgar-Penn Fight Metric   [View Full Version]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
hippysmacker » Posted 1/15/07 9:10:00PM

Posted by TimW001

Why are people not outraged over this. People were so pissed with Machida/Shogun and that was a really close fight. This fight was fairly one sided, BJ won AT LEAST three rounds. How are people not really pissed over this.

50-45 Edgar is BS. That is completely inappropriate. That judge deserves to be dissolved of his duties.

. The place I watched it ,the whole place booed the decison. I started laughing when Edgar raised his hands. At BEST I think he won the 4th and 5th, but I still would give the 4th to BJ too. IMO the whole Pride/UFC nutthuggery thing had something to do with the insanity after the Shogun fight( thought Shogun won myself) , but I am glad people are being less hyperbolic this time.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

Posted by TimW001

Why are people not outraged over this. People were so pissed with Machida/Shogun and that was a really close fight. This fight was fairly one sided, BJ won AT LEAST three rounds. How are people not really pissed over this.

50-45 Edgar is BS. That is completely inappropriate. That judge deserves to be dissolved of his duties.

Probably because something like this happens literally every single event and people are just tired of complaining.

I know I am. I have made probably dozens of posts about the state of officiating in MMA, but I pretty much just gave up. I haven't paid for a UFC since the Shogun-Machida fight and I don't intend to pay for any future events until something changes.

Also, I won't pay for any card featuring Anderson Silva even if I were to change my mind about paying for the UFC in general. The only thing that a company will listen to is dollars and cents, so that's the only way we can really send a message that they need to fix something.

BeeR » Posted 6/28/09 1:36:00PM

. you dont give a close round to a guy because he's the champ, whoever said that is rediculous. Edgar won the last 3 rounds and the fight. Thats why people arent furious, nobody was robbed.
BJ wont take a rematch, he was more focused on moving up to 170 win or lose.

50-45 is a horrible score, but I can see where he was coming from BJ didnt press the action at all, but he still won the first two rounds and hopefully that judge is now out of work

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

Penn got credited for a lot of shots that Edgar was moving away from and maybe that's why some people saw BJ dominating, Edgar was hitting BJ flush and he was fairly dominant in rounds 4 and 5, I only seen one round that I felt BJ won outright and I thought he stole another round, but I never seen enough to warrant a Penn victory. I don't believe in giving a round to somebody because they are the champ, that is their job to defend the title. Ask Rampage about going into a title fight without a gameplan.

jgtribbett » Posted 3/15/07 6:33:00PM

i wish i wouldn't have looked at this, cause now i'm mad. all it takes is one set of evidence to back me up and i'll never let this "loss" go and now that i've seen some evidence.. edgar doesn't deserve to be champ.
on the plus side, atleaste this opens up some different matches at the highest level of LW

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Penn got credited for a lot of shots that Edgar was moving away from and maybe that's why some people saw BJ dominating, Edgar was hitting BJ flush and he was fairly dominant in rounds 4 and 5, I only seen one round that I felt BJ won outright and I thought he stole another round, but I never seen enough to warrant a Penn victory. I don't believe in giving a round to somebody because they are the champ, that is their job to defend the title. Ask Rampage about going into a title fight without a gameplan.

BJ landed almost twice as many strikes as Frankie in the first...and almost 3 times as many in the second. As far as Frankie dominating round 4, he landed 1 more strike than BJ. There's a big difference between throwing a punch and landing a punch.

BeeR » Posted 6/28/09 1:36:00PM

Throwing shots is attacking, wich BJ barely did, frankie attacked the entire fight wether he was landing or not and it won hin the fight plain and simple.
It doesnt matter anyway, BJ will move up, maynard will beat Edgar the Florian will win the title from maynard.

haggiswashere » Posted 7/30/07 3:48:00PM

I had BJ win round 1 and 2 and Edgar winning 4 and 5 with the 3rd being really close but edgar has a slight edge. Very close entertaining fight. I had to rewatch it this morning to see if I was just being dumb last night but I scored it the same for Edgar. Way close though. BJ ended the fight sulking in his corner like he knew as well. I dunno I'm just saying. Its what happens when you leave it close. Rematch? Maybe BJ will change it up and beat him.

Dasklown » Posted 6/21/07 6:02:00PM

Wow i'm pretty surprised at most of the posts in this thread. I watched the fights at my house with 5 of my friends. All of us thought that Edgar won the fight but we were convinced they would give the decision to Penn because a belt was on the line. When they announced Edgar won, we were all very shocked but pleased to see the outcome.

AchillesHeel » Posted 2/3/07 10:04:00AM

I hate to question anyone's professionalism without due cause, but I can't help but wonder if the judges were scoring the fight based on the fact that Edgar wasn't getting his ass kicked like everybody else who's fought BJ lately. That is, a fighter like GSP, Penn or Anderson Silva could appear to be losing a fight that's close, because we're so accustomed to seeing them dominate. Some people reacted to Andrei Arvloski's performance against Fedor the same way - some people say that Arlovski was winning before Fedor turned his lights out. The fact that Fedor didn't fold up Arlovski and Brett Rogers like lawn chairs is, for some people, evidence that Fedor isn't the fighter he used to be, when the fact is, Fedor's legend was partly spawned from the fact that his opponents have pushed him around, slammed him on his head, and knocked him silly and he's still won.

I think it's okay that these near-superheroes labor under higher expectations from the fans, but it would be a big problem if the judges or referees started to follow suit. Another example from yesterday: Was Dan Miragliotta acting within his authority to threaten Anderson Silva with a point reduction for stalling? I don't know if he was. In all of the UFC fights I've ever seen (several hundred, by now), I don't recall ever seeing a ref do that before.

I also wonder if the judges might have given Edgar inappropriate credit for his movement. I assume the judges don't watch the broadcast, but I have to wonder how far from Rogan and Goldberg they sit. Rogan was praising Edgar's superior movement, how he was moving laterally, and changing up a lot so that B.J. couldn't anticipate which way he was going to go. It could become something like the boxing equivalent of "lay n' pray", when a wrestler takes his opponent down, gets top position, and then does nothing - it looks like he's out-performing his opponent, and in a way he is. Edgar's movement was better than BJ's, but movement isn't something fighters should be credited for in scoring, it should just be a means to an end. If I got into a sparring match with, say, Roy Jones Jr, he'd make a guy like me look utterly foolish without having to land a single punch - but if it were a real boxing match, he'd have to do more than just make me look silly.

chickmagnet » Posted 7/5/07 2:53:00PM

anyone who thinks Edgar won is insane

TimW001 » Posted 3/30/07 6:31:00PM

Posted by chickmagnet

anyone who thinks Edgar won is insane

Yes.

jimmypockets » Posted 1/16/07 1:27:00AM

I think all of you BJ Penn fans need to sit back for a minute and rewatch the fight. While it was a close fight, there is no doubt that Frankie Edgar won that fight off of CARDIO and SPEED. In my opinion, BJ beat himself by not training properly. BJ's work ethic has came into question in the past and I believe we got to see this problem show it's ugly face again. BJ is BJ and like Anderson Silva.......HE IS HIS OWN WORST ENEMY. As GSP would say...."I am not impressed with his performance". Frank Edgar deserves respect for his win especially since it was achieved through HARD WORK. BJ needs to focus more on beating up other people instead of always beating himself.

XB Live Gamertags- J1mMy PoCkEtS, Th3 Barncat

Lord_Lenny » Posted 3/31/07 6:09:00PM

Posted by BeeR

Throwing shots is attacking, wich BJ barely did, frankie attacked the entire fight wether he was landing or not and it won hin the fight plain and simple.
It doesnt matter anyway, BJ will move up, maynard will beat Edgar the Florian will win the title from maynard.

So you're saying that throwing shots unsuccessfully should be rewarded over more shots landed? BJ stalked him the majority of the fight, which may not look as aggressive as Frankie's foot movement, going in and out but i don't buy the statement that he was more aggressive. BJ got the best of about 90% of the exchanges in rounds 1-3. Round 4 was super super close, Frankie got the takedown in this one i think, and did nothing from it which shouldn't count for much more than a solid punch and i judged it 10-10. Round 5 was the only one i had going for Edgar but to say it was dominant is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as 50-45 for Edgar

All that being said, you shouldn't have to beat the champ dominantly to win a round, that argument is bogus. Whoever wins the round should be rewarded the round. If it was too close to call, give it a 10-10. Believe it or not, that's what they are made for.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

IMO BJ Penn is the best fighter in the world pound for pound, but he did not win that fight, I don't know how fight metric records their stats, but stats are just stats, I watched BJ partially land a jab here and there but he never followed up with anything, Edgar was landing cleaner punches and more combos, you can't reward BJ for not getting taken down, and you can't judge fights on a formula, this isn't Olympic boxing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

[View Full Version of this Page]