MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Report: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Wanderlei Silva booked for UFC 116 on July 3 in Las Vegas   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
ThaAxeMurderer7 » Posted 1/16/08 9:55:00PM

Former DREAM and K-1 star Yoshihiro Akiyama (13-1) may finally get the chance to test his sexiness against the ferocity of Wanderlei Silva (33-10-1) when the two reportedly square off at UFC 116 on July 3 in Las Vegas.

Fighter's Only announced the proposed match-up earlier today.

A world class Judoka, Akiyama made his name in K-1 Hero’s, compiling an undefeated record of 11-0 with one No Contest. After FEG pulled the plug on Hero’s, he fought twice in the newly formed DREAM in 2008 before signing with Zuffa.

Link

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

i knew this fight would be in vegas and not canada
damm i am not gonna make the trip in july
gotta go with wandy, mr sexy barely got by belcher, and with a july between fights there might be cage rust
man i am looking forward to this fight, might be co main event

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

FOTN hopefully. Wandy taking the decision.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

Wanderlei is lucky it's not a sexyness contest.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by Kpro

This is true

On a side note, Kpro...I'm only 1 win away from you updating your signature

chickmagnet » Posted 7/5/07 2:53:00PM

Wandy by tko. I was very impressed by wands last win..

shotokansun » Posted 3/20/10 5:09:00PM

This is going to be an absolute war. I am a fan of both fighters and really don't have a one that I am going to root for during the fight, but rather I am just looking to see a very exciting fight in general.

Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

Wanderlei should win and I hope he does for real, I like the guy and hope he can find new success at MW.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Kpro

This is true

On a side note, Kpro...I'm only 1 win away from you updating your signature

I'll just change it after every event to 1 win more than your total to maintain accuracy

Actually, I'm too lazy for that, so maybe I'll just change it to "only Playground member with the username Kpro".

tepid55 » Posted 2/4/07 2:11:00PM

I think Akiyama can win a decision with his Judo skills and top control.

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

I think Akiyama can win a decision on the feet.

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSS!

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

Akiyama is very solid middleweight, Wandy is in for a long night if he can't find the range on Akiyama. I think Wandy will get the decision but I would not be surprised to see a split decision.

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Posted by sbulldavid

Akiyama is very solid middleweight, Wandy is in for a long night if he can't find the range on Akiyama. I think Wandy will get the decision but I would not be surprised to see a split decision.

This.

I think this is a pretty competitive matchup; Akiyama lands combinations when he counters, and I think he could easily land way more strikes than Silva doing that, picking up a decision. I'll still pick Silva, but I don't think Wanderlei will steamroll the Sexyama.

I wonder if Akiyama training out of Xtreme Couture will make him want to take the fight to the ground, where he would seemingly hold a few advantages of The Axe Murderer.

icantthinkofanything » Posted 1/16/09 11:38:00PM

This will be a war. I am excited fr this fight.

Sexyama (who is really good MW fighter)barely beat Belcher, in fact I thought belcher seyama was a draw, or belcher won a SD. However besides the Belcher fight Sexyama has good victories against Manhoef and Kang etc.
Belcher is better than people give him credit for. He fought two top 10 mw's while they were hyped (Kang, Sexyama), he beat Wilson (who Nate great got big props 4 beating) Ed Herman and Jorge Santiago. Belcher has always had tougher fights than most other MW's imo.
Since Wandy looked so much improved after getting his operation and original training coach, I think he will get the Knock out VS. Sexyama. The only knock on Wandy is that vs Rich Franklin and Bisping, he waited until the last second to get the knockout. He should not wait so long next time to bull rush his opponent, or he could have lost a ud to Bisping imo. And Wandys takedowns are good, he should keep those and his leg kicks popping off to stay unpredictable.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]