MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Following release from UFC, Eliot Marshall hopes to re-emerge in promotion this fall   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
ThaAxeMurderer7 » Posted 1/16/08 9:55:00PM

"The Ultimate Fighter 8" veteran Eliot Marshall (8-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) has been released from the UFC following his loss to Vladimir Matyushenko at UFC on Versus 1 this past Sunday.

Marshall blogged for MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during his training camp for the fight.

"It is what it is, man," Marshall said today. "What do you want me to say? It sucks. What can you do? It's my own fault, and that's how it goes."

Two judges gave the former contender Matyushenko scores of 30-27 with one judge dissenting with a score a 29-28 in favor of Marshall. Overall, the bout was characterized by a distinct lack of action, and several times the crowd implored the fighters to engage.

Link

ChokeUout » Posted 6/28/07 1:48:00PM

Why the hell is a guy who is started his UFC career with three straight wins being released after his first loss?

And a TUF alumn at that? They usually get longer leashes...

oh well

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by ChokeUout

Why the hell is a guy who is started his UFC career with three straight wins being released after his first loss?

oh well

Yeah, I'm not sure either. IMO, he was one of the top guys from his season.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

Two lackluster fights, and 205 is stacked, you got to bring fire or a big name to keep your job at 205. Come on did anybody see him ever being a top contender.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

I dont like this and he only lost a SD.
I mean Machida didnt turn many heads in the begining of his ufc career.

I would have rather seen Vera released.

ThaAxeMurderer7 » Posted 1/16/08 9:55:00PM

It sucks for Eliot that he got cut but I have no doubt that we will see him back in the octagon later this year. If he goes to some smaller promotions and wins (which he will) he will be back in no time.

Bloodhound » Posted 5/27/08 1:50:00PM

wow this is a surprise hes 2-1 in ufc

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

3 wins then a split loss gets you the boot??
or was it 3 lack luster fights in a row but still lil ryan jensen is still in the ufc
go figure!!

Taylor8766 » Posted 6/24/07 5:32:00PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I dont like this and he only lost a SD.

I would have rather seen Vera released.

I agree I would like to see Vera released I like him as a fighter but he hasnt impressed lately, and he should go to another org to get his confidence back, and I was really surprised to hear this considering Marshall is a good LHW and a SD lost should not result in his release, I think that he would do better in the UFC than Matuysenko will.

MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Two lackluster fights, and 205 is stacked, you got to bring fire or a big name to keep your job at 205. Come on did anybody see him ever being a top contender.

The likes of Jason Brilz and Eric Schaefer are still around though.....

SpiderSilva » Posted 7/10/07 6:44:00PM

I hate to see one of our local guys get cut. Even more after the show was in his back yard.

I was there and he(Marshall) really looked like he wasn't there to fight and "the Janitor" pretty much dominated him.

Hell he did good in one of the best smaller shows out there in ROF so IMO he will make his way back to the UFC

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

tallica62 » Posted 6/22/07 2:18:00AM

Posted by ChokeUout

oh well

i agree, but as someone else said..205 is stacked, and elliott marshall is not as marketable.. he just hasnt really created a buzz worth keeping around i guess

gartface » Posted 7/29/07 7:00:00PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Eliot Marshall didn't come into the UFC with wins over Rich Franklin, BJ Penn and Stephan Bonnar.

Eliot will be back, he just needs to build himself up outside the UFC.

Giant_Ochai » Posted 5/19/09 7:57:00PM

Marshall stops fighting when he's in with someone tough. The dude has a solid skill set, but he's another mental case. I do expect him to run through out-of-UFC opposition and be back as an opponent for someone late this year.

MMA-San » Posted 4/17/09 10:47:00PM

3 wins in a row and then a split decision loss against a top ranked opponent gets you the boot nowadays I guess.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]