MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Melvin Guillard vs. Thiago Tavares in the works for UFC 114 in May   [View Full Version]
RhythmAndStyle » Posted 1/25/08 3:12:00PM

Slugger Melvin Guillard's (23-8-2 MMA, 6-4 UFC) tour of the UFC lightweight division's best submission fighters isn't over just yet.MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the organization that Guillard and Brazilian Thiago Tavares (14-3-1 MMA, 4-3-1 UFC) have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 114.

Link

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

I smell a close decision win for guillard??

hate4thestate » Posted 9/4/09 12:12:00AM

are they trying to get guillard out of the ufc?

RyanC » Posted 8/25/09 5:08:00PM

Posted by hate4thestate

I don't understand why they keep giving him jiu jitsu guys. It's like they are forcing him to deal with his weakness head on.

kevietre » Posted 6/29/07 1:36:00AM

Should be a very fast paced fight. Guillard should be able to nuetralize the submission attempts by Tavares and he has a lot more power. If Wiman can KO Tavares, Guillard definitely can.

Sir_Karl » Posted 9/7/07 9:27:00PM

I am so glad Cote is back. He should have no problems knocking Belcher out. I kind of like Belcher too. Oh well though. Cote is the man!!!

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

tavares hasn't subbed anyone in years
won't be guillard, at least this gives hima motivation to work on ground game the last 2 years
keep getting sub guys,

karn501 » Posted 12/7/09 1:09:00PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I am so glad Cote is back. He should have no problems knocking Belcher out. I kind of like Belcher too. Oh well though. Cote is the man!!!

wtf does that have to do with anything

xdanish020 » Posted 9/22/08 2:18:00AM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by hate4thestate

I don't understand why they keep giving him jiu jitsu guys. It's like they are forcing him to deal with his weakness head on.

That's the only way he's gonna get better.....

They did the same thing with Brian Stann, gave him a bunch of wrestlers...

Now the real question is, is Tavares a better or worse version of Torres? I still think Torres won that fight and I think Tavares has a similiar skill set, except he may have a weaker chin (Wiman KO'd him)...so if Tavares isn't able to hold Melvin down on the mat and control him, he could wind up getting KO'd.

Gonna have to think long and hard about this one..

NatedawgThaM » Posted 6/25/07 5:46:00PM

I love how their throwing him in with BJJ guys since that has obviously been his clear weakness and in the UFC you better fix that quick and their forcing him too.

Thiago doesn't have near the skills of Gleison & Torres IMHO with taking guys down, especially since their also bigger and stronger too, and Melvin's got pretty good takedown defense or get back up. Melvin knocks him out in the 1st I think.

EvenFlow » Posted 11/9/08 6:40:00PM

Most might know how I feel about Guillard but I see him getting a highlight reel knockout for a couple reasons. Torres is better, Tavares is not as strong as Torres or Guillard and Tavares always seems to disappoint.

[View Full Version of this Page]