MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Memo to WEC: Doing a PPV in May Is Asking for Disaster   [View Full Version]
RhythmAndStyle » Posted 1/25/08 3:12:00PM

I've long been a skeptic of the WEC's prospects for PPV, but I understand why they need to start running PPV events. If they can't succeed on PPV they won't be financially viable in the long haul, and they can't count on Zuffa subsidizing them just to keep Versus occupied forever. However, May is a bad month for an obvious reason: there is way too much competition for the WEC to succeed in May.

Link

Giant_Ochai » Posted 5/19/09 7:57:00PM

2 UFCs and Mosley/Mayweather. It would be absurd for the WEC to try to go PPV in May. There's no way the WEC can come up with a 5-fight card worth paying at least $40 for.

xdanish020 » Posted 9/22/08 2:18:00AM

I agree, even w/ Aldo and Faber headlining it, at $44.95 a pop, I think they're going to be disappointed with the results.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by xdanish020

I agree, even w/ Aldo and Faber headlining it, at $44.95 a pop, I think they're going to be disappointed with the results.

I only skimmed the article so I'm not sure whether 44.95 is an assumed price or not. If they are smart, it will not be that expensive. I would say 29.95 at the most will yield the best results.

whhh88 » Posted 2/24/07 6:42:00PM

I spent the last fifteen minutes searching for a prior article on WEC doing a PPV, but I am 98% certain Reed Harris mentioned they would only charge $30 for a WEC PPV.

I think at $19.95, they could make an absolute killing, with the HD broadcast priced at $29.95.

Just my two cents though.

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by xdanish020

I only skimmed the article so I'm not sure whether 44.95 is an assumed price or not. If they are smart, it will not be that expensive. I would say 29.95 at the most will yield the best results.

I read a few days ago when they first announced it Reed Harris said something about it being $44.95 and justified it by saying they are UFC fighters, just 10 lbs lighter, or something along those lines.

You're right tho, if they made it 19.95 or 24.95 like the Strikeforce event tonight I think they'd be more successful.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

Cool, I think it's a great idea!

So who's got the link to watch for free?

Posted by whhh88

I spent the last fifteen minutes searching for a prior article on WEC doing a PPV, but I am 98% certain Reed Harris mentioned they would only charge $30 for a WEC PPV.

I think at $19.95, they could make an absolute killing, with the HD broadcast priced at $29.95.

Just my two cents though.

fast forward to 7:15

link

Naturaldisaster » Posted 4/8/07 4:17:00PM

bottom line....WEC isnt worth payin more than the $15 I have to pay to have the versus package, it sure as hell isnt worth payin $45 for. so if they go to ppv that will be the last of the wec that i watch

Playground_Samurai » Posted 1/28/07 4:36:00PM

Coming from the lower middle class. With all the UFC ppv's I pay for I feel I am entitled to all the free UFN's, TUF Finales, and WEC cards that are on basic cable. It may be a false sense of entitlement, but I just say this because I pay for way more fights than I get to see for free. I personally will not pay for a WEC PPV. I will watch it via stream or on the net the next day.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

two ufc cards plus a 45 dollar worthy wec fight
i would never pay 45 bucks to watch any wec card ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[View Full Version of this Page]