MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Herschel Walker: I'm not going to be heavyweight champ -- but I am going to be competitive   [View Full Version]
RhythmAndStyle » Posted 1/25/08 3:12:00PM

I love martial arts. I've loved it for years. I love the sport of it. When I saw MMA years ago, I fell in love with it. They've cleaned it up so much that it is now a mainstream sport, and I wanted to get involved in it. There are incredible athletes doing it, and I want to consider myself a good athlete, and that's the reason I want to do it. I'm not stepping into this sport, fighting for a belt, `Oh, I want to be heavyweight champion.' No. At the age I'm at right now, I'm getting into a sport that I consider one of the toughest sports out there, and I'm going to be competitive.

Link

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

its good that he knows he will never contend. Props to Herschel for being a man and admitting it.

Giant_Ochai » Posted 5/19/09 7:57:00PM

Posted by george112

its good that he knows he will never contend. Props to Herschel for being a man and admitting it.

At the same time I hope he isn't just expecting to be fed can after can.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by george112

At the same time I hope he isn't just expecting to be fed can after can.

I don't see any reason for him to take on wrestlers with any semblance of a rounded skill-set. So he's basically a heavyweight Cung Le without the competitive professional background.

I think Walker can carve out a nice niche facing fighters who will trade with him and also believe at this point in time, that his MMA skills are underrated.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

I think he'll be very competitive as long as he doesn't get fancy with his TKD, and believe this, Herschel Walker is an athlete and I'm not talking as a football player, but he is an athlete on par with Bruce Lee, this guy is even at 47 is capable of big things.

IowaWrestling » Posted 9/1/09 9:54:00AM

the posts on here are ridiculous, we have yet to see him fight and your calling him a heavyweight Cung Le, are you serious? That is a joke, Cung Le has been fighting his whole life, long before he was in MMA. He is a name that strikeforce can market. They will feed him multiple cans and feed him victories so they can keep people believing he is something that he is not. It is to bad because Im sure there is a heavyweight who does have aspirations of trying to be a champ and he is taking a spot away from that individual. So go ahead and believe hes awesome after he makes short work of this dude. I feel like they need him and Kimbo to fight. Both around 215 and both are far from real Mixed Martial Artists!

xdanish020 » Posted 9/22/08 2:18:00AM

At least he is realistic.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

Posted by IowaWrestling

the posts on here are ridiculous, we have yet to see him fight and your calling him a heavyweight Cung Le, are you serious? That is a joke, Cung Le has been fighting his whole life, long before he was in MMA. He is a name that strikeforce can market. They will feed him multiple cans and feed him victories so they can keep people believing he is something that he is not. It is to bad because Im sure there is a heavyweight who does have aspirations of trying to be a champ and he is taking a spot away from that individual. So go ahead and believe hes awesome after he makes short work of this dude. I feel like they need him and Kimbo to fight. Both around 215 and both are far from real Mixed Martial Artists!

Read posts. The heavyweight Cung Le comparison was only comparing that they both won't be facing opponents with solid wrestling pedigrees. That has nothing to do with skillset.

ncordless » Posted 4/8/07 11:09:00PM

People can bag on Herchel all they want, but if you hear the news coming out of AKA, he is really gaining the respect of people there for being as dedicated and in as good of physical condition for a man of 47. I read the other day that he is the second best conditioned HW they got there and has been a blessing for Cain as someone to train cardio with.

Cdellorso » Posted 7/6/07 10:54:00PM

1st fight and already a candidate for the senior division.......

Goodrich
Frye
tank
coleman
Kerr
couture

[View Full Version of this Page]