MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Report: Kenny Florian vs Takanori Gomi Possible for UFC Fight Night 22   [View Full Version]
RhythmAndStyle » Posted 1/25/08 3:12:00PM

Takanori Gomi could make his UFC debut against unsuccessful lightweight challenger Kenny Florian at UFC Fight Night 22, Fighters Only was told this week. The event takes place in North Carolina on March 31st.

Link

EvenFlow » Posted 11/9/08 6:40:00PM

The people Gomi's fought recently isnt going to get him ready for a guy like Kenny. This fight makes no sense at all other than to get Kenny a win and make Gomi look bad in his debut. I cant believe this fight is coming up so much. Sounds like the Zuffa boys wanna ruin Gomi for not signing in 2007 to unify the belts. It reminds me of that Pride vs UFC crap that happened when Pride folded and thier general distain for Pride fighters at that point for being their competitor.

Gomi vs Fisher/Stephens/Stout was there for them and they wanna make this...cmon.

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Florian's been gunning for Gomi forever. Gomi's looking for the fast track to a title shot.

It'll be interesting to see if Gomi can keep Florian at a distance and turn this into a fight built on who has the superior striking. If he can notch a victory over Florian, he will not be far off a shot at Penn, like he desires. (I got Florian though.)

IriShame » Posted 3/25/08 7:48:00PM

Posted by EvenFlow

The people Gomi's fought recently isnt going to get him ready for a guy like Kenny. This fight makes no sense at all other than to get Kenny a win and make Gomi look bad in his debut. I cant believe this fight is coming up so much. Sounds like the Zuffa boys wanna ruin Gomi for not signing in 2007 to unify the belts. It reminds me of that Pride vs UFC crap that happened when Pride folded and thier general distain for Pride fighters at that point for being their competitor.

Gomi vs Fisher/Stephens/Stout was there for them and they wanna make this...cmon.

I totally agree. They're throwing him to the wolves here. Why not try to build him up and have a legimately marketable japanese star?

Jimbo » Posted 4/18/07 11:22:00PM

i hope Gomi stomps Florian into the ground.

StriderXero » Posted 9/2/07 3:37:00PM

though Gomi prolly isn't the same fighter as before, Gomi could definately win this fight standing up. If he's able to scramble well enough, he could win this fight.

I think Kenny will still take this, but wont be suprised at all with Gomi with the W.

I'm willing to bet that they want to give Kenny a title shot at Boston.

I'm hoping Gomi gets a mid lvl guy first. I dont think they should throw this guy into the front line so quickly. They should build him up first.

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

Posted by EvenFlow

I actually think that the UFC is doing this to hopefully make Gomi an instant contender for BJ's title.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by EvenFlow

I actually think that the UFC is doing this to hopefully make Gomi an instant contender for BJ's title.

I think it's a pay thing. When a guy comes in with a decent paycheck, they make him earn his keep.

DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

According to Florian, False.

Article

[View Full Version of this Page]