MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Rumor: Varner-Cerrone 2 Maybe Next With Henderson Hurt   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

Although Benson Henderson beat Donald Cerrone last week to win the WEC Interim Lightweight Title and apparently ruin plans for a Cerrone-Jamie Varner rematch, it seems those plans may be un-ruined now. On ESPN's "MMA Live" this week, guest host and Cerrone teammate Rashad Evans said it looks like Cerrone gets the next title shot despite the loss because Henderson could be out longer than expected (and longer than WEC wants to wait) due to an eye injury suffered in the fight.

Article

Khaos » Posted 6/27/07 8:20:00PM

If they were to make the fight, I disagree with it, the Iterim title fight was the eliminater, so push the fight back a little, there is no need to have it in December, and Cerrone shouldn't get a shot after a loss.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

This is where the WEC's lack of recognizable stars becomes a huge factor. Time to invest in marketing more fighters...

And for early '10 to come around so they can implement the Flyweight division.

xdanish020 » Posted 9/22/08 2:18:00AM

Wouldn't mind this at all......seems logical is Henderson is hurt, plus if Cowboy beats Varner, it sets up a great rematch between Cowboy and Benson.

And this is a big money fight for WEC. It may not be quite on the level of Faber-Pulver 1 but there is very real heat between these guys and they want to kick each other's ass badly. Maybe now they'll be able to stop ducking each other (at least that's what Cerrone claims Varner is doing) and settle things in the cage. It's certainly one I want to see.

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

Pretty crappy deal for Henderson if this goes down... I just can't see the WEC going through with this. I'd love to see this fight, though...so I dunno how disappointed I really am for Henderson.

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

What!?!

why would Cerrone get to fight for the title after losing to Henderson!?!
There is no way that a fighter coming of a loss should get a title shot! Not even in this situation..... If you get championship fights for losing then what's the reward for winning? Apparently the reward is the same as if you lost, so why bust your ass trying to win.

This would just be wrong.

Posted by State_Champ

What!?!

There is no way that a fighter coming of a loss should get a title shot! Not even in this situation..... If you get championship fights for losing then what's the reward for winning? Apparently the reward is the same as if you lost, so why bust your ass trying to win.

Maybe because Henderson was in the hospital getting an IV immediately after the fight and his left eye was completely swollen shut. I'm not calling him a bitch by any means, but if those were his consequences for fighting in a 5 rd fight....I mean he said it himself, "let's hope we never have to do that again".....while Cowboy is ALWAYS GAME. Not to mention, it was a close fight, decision could have gone either way.

If you don't see why Cerrone would get hte shot at this point then you haven't followed the WEC LW picture enough.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by State_Champ

What!?!

BJ got a title shot after losing to GSP.

Just sayin'.

Nightmare27 » Posted 1/22/07 8:46:00PM

While it doesnt seem right, I gotta say that I wouldnt mind seeing that fight go down again.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

I don't have a problem with it.

What other fight among unbooked fighters is gonna headline the WEC card in December and get halfway decent ratings?

Anything with Faber, but he won't return until probably January. Only other person they could do it with now is Torres.

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Posted by Kpro

What other fight among unbooked fighters is gonna headline the WEC card in December and get halfway decent ratings?

There's still an issue of whether or not Cerrone, who lost his last fight, deserves the challenge. The last time I can remember a fighter coming off a loss fighting for a major title (within Zuffa promotions) was Henderson challenging Anderson Silva, and before that I don't remember any at all except B.J. Penn.

Maybe the Pettis/McCullough fight should have happened sooner.

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Kpro

There's still an issue of whether or not Cerrone, who lost his last fight, deserves the challenge. The last time I can remember a fighter coming off a loss fighting for a major title (within Zuffa promotions) was Henderson challenging Anderson Silva, and before that I don't remember any at all except B.J. Penn.

Maybe the Pettis/McCullough fight should have happened sooner.

Razor Rob barely got by Marcus Hicks, who got destroyed by Varner...if he beats Pettis you really think he deserves the shot over Cerrone? (who also beat Razor Rob)

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]