MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Q&A with UFC president Dana White   [View Full Version]
emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Irrepressible UFC president Dana White paid a visit to Yahoo! Sports recently and sat down for a talk on a wide range of subjects, from his opinion on Kimbo Slice to whether he wants his children to become fighters to which WEC fight he most wants to see. Here’s a transcript of the conversation:

Dave Doyle: We heard your video blog was coming back.

Dana White: I’m the Brett Favre of video blogging. I don’t know who’s retired and come back more times, me or him.

I live a pretty crazy lifestyle. You tuned into my video blogs and there’s jets and there’s cars and I’m making big-money bets with guys and [expletive] around with my friends and having fun.

Everyone loved the video blogs, but some people started writing letters like, “I’m about to lose my home.” I got letters like “Me and my daughters are going out on the street, and you’re betting more money on who can last on a treadmill for five minutes than I’ll make in two months.” It’s kind of like, “Whoa,” like a slap to me and slaps me back to reality, that people are hurting out there. It really messed me up for awhile. Three years ago, my video blogs would have been fun because everyone was making money and everything was great, the unemployment rate was down.

More From Dave DoyleRankings: Reinstatement for McCarthy? Sep 24, 2009 ADVERTISEMENT

DD: So why did you bring it back?

DW: Everyone has been messaging me, everyone wants me to bring the video blogs back, from fans to [UFC co-owner] Lorenzo [Fertitta], these things pull a quarter-million hits just on YouTube. My video blog rates higher than most television shows do.

I’m just going to be more conscious of what goes up there. I’m not trying to run around and flaunt my life, “Oh, look at this and look at that,” I just want it to be fun.

The reality is, behind the scenes (footage) isn’t all that exciting. I’m not going around 24 hours a day shooting craps on the corner with guys. I’m sitting in my car going to the next [expletive] interview. How much of that can you watch?

There were times when you’d look on my blogs and there would be comments, “Hey douchebag, put the fighters on here instead of you.” At the end of the day, I’m a fight promoter. My job is to go out, make it interesting and entertaining for the people, do anything I can to promote the fight. People got into the blog and there was this awareness that I was going out and doing all the stuff for the fight on Saturday. But for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, it’s not like all [expletive] excitement and I’m doing [expletive] that you want to watch on YouTube.

CONTINUED...

[View Full Version of this Page]