MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Thiago Silva “I Want The Belt”   [View Full Version]
RhythmAndStyle » Posted 1/25/08 3:12:00PM

Two days after knocking Keith Jardine out on UFC 102, Thiago Silva was already training hard on American Top Team. Without thinking about rest, the Brazilian spoke with TATAME.com about his biggest objective on UFC. “I want the belt and I’m working hard for it. I get rest one day and it’s fine, I’ll start the battle if, when UFC call me, I’ll be ready“, said Thiago, who talked about his desire to fight Lyoto Machida again, the next title fight between Machida and Mauricio Shogun, the training with his old time rival, Luis “Banha“ Cane, Rogério Minotouro coming on UFC and more.

Link

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Why couldnt the Thiago Silva that KO'ed Jardine show up against Machida. Cause I had picked Silva over Machida.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Why couldnt the Thiago Silva that KO'ed Jardine show up against Machida. Cause I had picked Silva over Machida.

That Thiago did show up...but it still wasn't enough.

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

I can't wait to see Thiago Silva fight again.
I wouldn't mind seeing him face Forrest Griffin. Griffin was champ and is coming off a loss to one of the best fighters in the UFC while Thiago is coming off a win against a solid competitor in Jardine..... I say they should meet in the middle to see who stands where!

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

I'm glad he's hungry but just like Nate Marquardt he has to re-earn the #1 contender's spot. I think 2-3 wins in a row against solid competition should give him that spot. There are just to many top LHWs in the UFC to give Thiago an instant fight. It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the division, besides I am a huge fan but a win over Jardine isn't that huge....this isn't last year!

SamPan » Posted 2/17/09 12:13:00AM

When Rampage gets back, I want to see Thiago and him go head to head

Copenhagen » Posted 4/16/07 12:41:00PM

Posted by jae_1833

I'm glad he's hungry but just like Nate Marquardt he has to re-earn the #1 contender's spot. I think 2-3 wins in a row against solid competition should give him that spot. There are just to many top LHWs in the UFC to give Thiago an instant fight. It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the division, besides I am a huge fan but a win over Jardine isn't that huge....this isn't last year!

Remember, Thiago has never held the #1 contender spot, so it's not like he needs to get back into line. He was one win away from it in the Machida fight.
I say he is easily one knockout away from a title shot, depending on how Joe feels about him.

Mayhem13 » Posted 6/28/07 1:10:00AM

Id like to see Thiago vs "The Janitor"...Thiago would put the pressure on him, and make him fight.

Plus we could see how he does, when someone tries to put him on his back and wrestle.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

i predict a thiago silva vs rashad evans or griffin match jan 2nd in vegas!!!

haggiswashere » Posted 7/30/07 3:48:00PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

That Thiago did show up...but it still wasn't enough.

He lost because that Thiago showed up. The style matchup put Thiago at a disadvantage.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

Posted by Copenhagen

Posted by jae_1833

Remember, Thiago has never held the #1 contender spot, so it's not like he needs to get back into line. He was one win away from it in the Machida fight.
I say he is easily one knockout away from a title shot, depending on how Joe feels about him.

True on a technicallity....but still he needs to win at least one more to fight for the #1 contendars spot IMO. So 2 good wins for a title shot, 3 wins at the most. My reasoning is still because of how heavily stacked the division is.

Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

Rampage would destroy Silva. Way too strong and heavy handed.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Thiago is a very talented fighter but I'm not convinced he can consistently hang with the top dogs yet. Rashad would be a tough fight for him, maybe put him on his back or even knock him out standing. Thiago has good stand up but it's a kind of juggernaut style. His ground game is heralded yet he couldn't keep jardine on his back.

I think guys who can take a punch (or avoid one like machida and rashad) can give him a lot of trouble. He's not that fast standing and his defense is almost non existent.

That said I think he could eventually be a serious contender provided he continues to improve. Mainly foot work, blocking/avoiding punches, and refining his supposedly superior ground game.

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

I think guys who can take a punch (or avoid one like machida and rashad) can give him a lot of trouble. He's not that fast standing and his defense is almost non existent.

It's funny to see someone say that Rashad can avoid a punch after he just got brutally KOed.

telnights » Posted 6/21/07 4:17:00PM

I don't think his chances are any better than they were in the first fight.

[View Full Version of this Page]