MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Cro Cop: "I Should’ve Quit After I Won Pride FC"   [View Full Version]
emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Legendary mixed martial arts fighter, Mirko Cro Cop, reflects on his submission (verbal) loss to Junior dos Santos at UFC 103: “Franklin vs. Belfort” from the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, on Sept. 19. He was beaten to the punch, and pretty much beat up, in what essentially turned out to be a striking match for two-plus rounds. The Croatian waved off the Brazilian in the third after eating a brutal knee to the face that wiped out his vision. It marked his third loss inside the Octagon in five attempts — a far cry from the world beater who was scalping his opponents just three years ago under the Pride FC banner.

STORY

Aaronno9 » Posted 10/10/07 2:09:00PM

Very tough to read as a Mirko fan.

Junior24 » Posted 3/9/07 3:04:00PM

I wish he would give 205 a shot. The HW's in UFC are just too big, strong, and fast for him. He would be a beast at 205

tallica62 » Posted 6/22/07 2:18:00AM

i want just 1 more left head kick...just 1 more

dangerfield » Posted 6/25/08 8:43:00AM

Its a very sad read, it was for me anyway, Cro Cop is a legend. Plain and simple. He was one of the greatest fighters of his day, exceptionally exciting and one of my all time favourite fighters, he'll be missed by me and I'm sure others but everyone has their time (maybe even Randy lol).

I want to see him fight once more. I'd like to see him fight Mir before he retires but if he wants to go out on his sword after this fights its his decision.

His Ko's over Wandi, Aleksander E, and Vovchanchyn are some of the best, as was his k-1 ko of Bob Sapp, the man beat Remy Bonjasky (sp?) in k-1.

Hope he enjoys whatever it is he'll do now. and that he continues to train Goran Reljic, I see big things for this guy, one to watch for the future for sure. If it wasn't for his injury he'd be talked about as much as jon jones I honestly believe that

Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

Shitty to see him go, would have liked to see him leave on top.

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

this pic says it all, its heartbreaking to see my favorite fighter go out like he has, but he has been one of the most exciting fighters to watch of all time IMO, and has nothing to hang his head about. every great athlete gets to the point where they just arent who they used to be.

Brain_Smasher » Posted 1/27/07 9:19:00PM

This really sucks to hear. Cop is one of the fighters i love to see win. Because when he does its exciting to see. But i dont see age as his down fall. Its game plan and his own mental block like he said. Once your are beaten in MMA the blue print is out on you. You have to change your game and adjust to each fighter. Pride was a entirely different game. He was successful there for many reasons and its not because he was so much better then. The first thing to go with age is the ability to take a punch and speed. He can still take good punishment and not get KOed so i doubt his body is breaking down. Look at Chuck and Randy for 2 guys who cant take even close to the punch they used to or avoid punches like they used too. As for Mirkos speed. Well he never made any attempt to do anything to measure his speed. He got beat to the punch because he didnt punch not because he was slow. He didnt land the high kick because the guy had reach on him and Santos knew the kick was coming because Mirko didnt set it up.

Mirko has good boxing and using it was his best chance vs Santos. He would have gotten off first on the bigger guy with wide punches. At the same time tested Santos chin a little since he has yet to be hit in his other UFC fights. But i think he is a little scared to get hit (mental block) so he wont use his hands verses most fighters.

I hope he dont quit. He has said he is quitting after each loss but he dont so i think he will still fight. He needs to realize it isnt his age but his game plan and that he is fighting guys who are better than anyone he has faced before. These are not guys who have been kept at the top just because of name value but new blood who are ranked because they are that good. Being a pure kicker dont work in the UFC. He has to get his other parts of his game to a high enough level he can use it. Im sure his BJJ is decent as is his wrestling but it isnt used. Its no threat. He also needs to get his cardio up. Santos was the bigger fighter and did all the work yet Mirko still tired out faster.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Posted by cowcatcher

this pic says it all, its heartbreaking to see my favorite fighter go out like he has, but he has been one of the most exciting fighters to watch of all time IMO, and has nothing to hang his head about. every great athlete gets to the point where they just arent who they used to be.

Agreed. I can't say that I've always been a Cro Cop fan but I do respect everything he's accomplished and all that he's done for the sport. It's a sad day to see an MMA legend call it quits. In the end, I hope he does what he wants to do and not what others want him to do.

WAR MIRKO

D0wnUnd6e6r » Posted 9/13/07 5:12:00PM

ive never been a crocop fan at all, but i do feel for the guy. going out like that is just heartbreaking to see.

mrsmiley » Posted 4/12/07 4:37:00PM

CC lost his killer instinct.
But their's a lot more to life than fighting,and I think Mirko probably just needs to take some time to enjoy himself.

breakdown5 » Posted 1/15/07 7:35:00PM

A serious bummer. Cro Cop is a legend.

XblacksheepX » Posted 5/6/07 6:11:00PM

when you watch older fights of his pride days, you can see that he was a different fighter the last couple of fights. It's not only his lack of speed and cardio, that he had. It's first and foremost, that he became way too predictible. Left high kick and left straight punch only doesn't win mma fights anymore. He wasn't mixing it up, he didn't set the kicks and punches up. and this is essential for a good and successful striking game. And if you look closely, the technique also lacked a little on what crocop had in older days.. I guess the knee injury was part of the problem. And i would also assume, that his training camps in croatia could have been better somewhere else, but this is speculation.

After all, he had a great carrier and ends in the history books as a fighting legend. Whatelse can you ask for.

zephead » Posted 1/16/07 5:32:00PM

Thanks for the memory's Mirko. when you fought, you kept me on the edge of the seat. You're a true champion. You know it's time for you to go and you make no excuses.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

[View Full Version of this Page]