MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Lackluster UFC 103 loss for "Cro Cop" could prove Filipovic's last in organization   [View Full Version]
scobac » Posted 9/9/07 5:01:00PM

DALLAS – While Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic's (25-7-2 MMA, 2-3 UFC) career-long reputation in combat sports as a feared striker will likely always be remembered, the Croatian undoubtedly wishes his time in the UFC be quickly forgotten.

Link

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

I don't know who that was in the Octagon on Saturday night, but it definitely wasn't Crocop. If he can't return to his old self then he just needs to hang them up IMO.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

I think he is kind of like Lidell (and many others), where yes the physical age and ring age are starting to take affect, but that also there is a change of gaurd going down in front of our very eyes. Many of our current generation of "Great" fighters are getting to this point in there carreer. Their game is too established to change, there is to much tape on them, they are getting old, and with all of the wars they have been in they don't have anything left to prove so the hunger is dwindling. Soon we will be seeing a lot of retirements....Lidell, Wand, Randy, Tito, Mirko, maybe even Fedor....

Brain_Smasher » Posted 1/27/07 9:19:00PM

I tried to tell everyone Santos was going to smash Mirko and i almost got Banned. HAHAHA

wrona666 » Posted 6/21/07 3:31:00PM

CC got completely dominated........I almost felt bad for him........

Wallass » Posted 10/7/08 5:39:00PM

I dont know why you almost got banned for saying Dos Sanots would win but since the fight was announced ive been favouring Dos Santos. Never even crossed my mind that he wouldnt win. Cro Cop is done, the Gonzaga fight ended his career and he'll never be able to return, the best he can hope for is to go to Japan get a couple wins to try to erase the mess of his last fights and retire. Truly one of the greats this sort has to offer though and we should not forget then.

SamPan » Posted 2/17/09 12:13:00AM

Time for Cro Cop to quit. I hope Dos Santos gets Velasques now

Posted by Wallass

I dont know why you almost got banned for saying Dos Sanots would win but since the fight was announced ive been favouring Dos Santos. Never even crossed my mind that he wouldnt win. Cro Cop is done, the Gonzaga fight ended his career and he'll never be able to return, the best he can hope for is to go to Japan get a couple wins to try to erase the mess of his last fights and retire. Truly one of the greats this sort has to offer though and we should not forget then.

A bunch of Cro Cop fan boys got mad at my opinion and then my assessment of Mirkos skills, his weakness', was called "fighter bashing". HAHAHA

telnights » Posted 6/21/07 4:17:00PM

Posted by Jackelope

I don't know who that was in the Octagon on Saturday night, but it definitely wasn't Crocop. If he can't return to his old self then he just needs to hang them up IMO.

I was almost ring side and must say CC looked slow and predictable. He didn't setup any comps up or anything even close to a real attack. That looked like him in there but wasn't the CC of old. I think its time he hang them up. That's not to take anything from Santos who did look good. I just don't see CC being able to beat any of the top 10 HWs out there right now and I thinks itw ould be better for him and his health if he got out now.

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

to me imo mirko never got accustomed to the octagon.

that being said.in this fight it looked like he had trouble getting caught on the fence.dos santos took advantage obviously.

and another thing that i noticed to was mirko being slow and not wanting to engage.i THOUGHT this was due to a body shot he received during the 1st but since i havent read anybody saying this than im starting to second guess my theory

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

The first great MMA fighters are starting to get or already are old. Cro Cop is just one of them.

I had Dos Santos winning that fight via decision because I thought the last thing Cro Cop would lose would be his ability to defend; he looked terrible even with that Saturday night. Ever since the open weight grand prix, his entire gameplan is landing a LHK (even against Sanchez), and now that he's slower and less willing to engage in order to properly set one up, it's rarely going to work and surely never will against even slightly competent strikers.

Its the same Mirko it has always been. Im sure he may be a little slower than he used to be but its the same flaws he has always had. He can not get his kicks off verses anyone who makes him move. Unless you are 250+ lbs and dont move he cant kick you. It takes time to plant your feet and throw a kick to the head. Even more time for a HW to do it. Any mobile fighter will be able to avoid it. Mirko never used his hands. Something he has neglected for all but a handful of his MMA fights. I also believe he is intimidated by lots of the people who beat him. When he fights a 1xD fighter who he knows he can kill like Al Turk and Coleman he comes out guns blazing with his hands. When he fights Gonzaga, Fedor, Kongo, Santos, etc and even many of the people he landed a kick on. He goes into a shell. He is always moving away covering up and not throwing punches just a kigh kick now and then. He dont work as hard in the ring as he did early in his career in K1.

He cant kick you when you are moving. He cant do anything whne you get inside on him. So he tries to shove you away to create distance. Santos had reach on his and Mirko wasnt willing to work hard enough with ring movement and punches to get in range and set his kicks up. He isnt fighting overrated HWs like Herring and others he got in Pride where he can come in throw 1 kick and collect a pay check.

ThereIis » Posted 7/7/09 1:41:00PM

I cant believe he got wrecked like that. He is so done. http://www.msg.com/fightclub/ufc-103-recap.html

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

cro cop is done.. but a cro cop vs big nog is still intriguing!!

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

but a cro cop vs big nog is still intriguing!!

Not at all, in my opinion. Nog would wreck him.

[View Full Version of this Page]