MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Former Heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia ready to return to the UFC   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
ThaAxeMurderer7 » Posted 1/16/08 9:55:00PM

Former heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia wants to return to the place where he first found major success.

The former two-time title-holder, who left the UFC in early 2008 after mutually agreeing with the organization to terminate his contract, has lost three straight fights, which included an embarrassing nine-second knockout loss to 48-year-old boxer Ray Mercer in June.

Link

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

You have a LONG way to go, Timmeh.

ThaAxeMurderer7 » Posted 1/16/08 9:55:00PM

Posted by emfleek

You have a LONG way to go, Timmeh.

No kidding, huh? If he loses to Jason Riley, we may never see "Big Tim" back in the octagon ever again. I know a lot of people don't care for Sylvia but he was a former heavyweight champion and I think it would be a great story for him to climb back to the top.

Gogoplatapus » Posted 7/24/09 6:01:00PM

Timmy better pray for another heavyweight season of TUF.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

"There'd be some great fights if I was back in the UFC. Me against Frank (Mir), me against (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira, me against Randy (Couture). Those three right there. The two guys I lost to (Nogueira and Couture) that were all great fights the first time."

This statement confused me a bit. He lost to all 3 of them, not just 2. Also, the only reason the Randy fight was great was because an old man roughed Tim up for 25 minutes...it was not great in the sense that it was competitive. So, I'm not sure why anyone would want to see a second fight.

scoozna » Posted 1/25/07 12:53:00PM

Posted by grappler0000

Also, the only reason the Randy fight was great was because an old man roughed Tim up for 25 minutes..

...so true, and let us not forget how un-inspiring his fights were prior to the losing streak that led to his exit. I don't see Dana bringing him back, I think he's a liability.

roger » Posted 1/18/08 11:56:00PM

hopfully his ground game has gotten alot better. or he will be gone in no time

mrsmiley » Posted 4/12/07 4:37:00PM

I give Sylvia credit for being a UFC champion,but I never was a fan of his.
The guy has got skills,but after his last fight i'm starting to really think those skills are on a decline.Anyone you fight is going to have a punchers chance of finishing you,but a huge loss like that puts you back a few notches regardless of who you are
He's lost 4 out of his last 5 fights,and on the exception of the fight with Nog he was compleltly out of the game in those 4 bouts.
Hell even in the fight with Minotauro,Nog was pretty much just taking shots waiting for his opening. Pretty much what we would expect of Nog.

I'm not against Syliva coming back,but he's not ready.
He's going to have to win a few fights and do it in convincing fashion before they'll even consider brining big timmy back.

Rush » Posted 1/31/07 10:42:00PM

Posted by grappler0000

This statement confused me a bit. He lost to all 3 of them, not just 2. Also, the only reason the Randy fight was great was because an old man roughed Tim up for 25 minutes...it was not great in the sense that it was competitive. So, I'm not sure why anyone would want to see a second fight.

He must not consider his loss to Mir a loss (remember he did feel the stoppage was premature/unwarranted)

xburbx » Posted 6/21/07 5:17:00PM

ha. DANA DONT TAKE HIM. They did take Baroni so who knows

Bowen50 » Posted 6/21/07 12:42:00PM

The HW division has changed a lot since he left. with all the guys that have been signed and some that have emerged as up and comers there aren't many fights in the UFC Sylvia can win in my opinion. Todd Duffee looks like a promising prospect. Dos Santos has emerged as a threat. Cro Cop has been resigned, we'll see how he does against Dos Santos. Signings of Rothwell and Russow have added more depth. the new season of TUF is going to add some decent talent. Then you have guys like Gonzaga, Kongo, Hardonk, and Herring who are close to the top, about gatekeeper status. Now there's the top of the heap with Lesnar, Nog, Mir, Carwin, Velasquez, and Couture. i'm almost positive Dana isn't going to sign him but that would be one hell of a mountain to climb for Sylvia right now.

Hendo67 » Posted 11/18/08 1:59:00PM

LOL!, i guess he brings Popularity... but that's about it.

Giant_Ochai » Posted 5/19/09 7:57:00PM

I think he deserves another shot in the UFC. They can put him in with tough guys and make him earn it.

finnish_line » Posted 8/16/07 8:54:00AM

Dana, think of it like the Holocaust: Never Again!

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by Hendo67

LOL!, i guess he brings Popularity... but that's about it.

Well, popularity probably isn't the best word to use...a known fighter would probably be a better way to describe him. And keeping a known fighter from signing with Strikeforce is the only reason I could see this happening...but with his recent losses, I'm sure the UFC would feel they'd lose credibility by signing him at the moment. I know Tim said that he wanted to retire in the UFC, but he's got some proving to do before that happens.

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]