MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Josh Gross: Anderson Silva Wants to Fight at Heavyweight   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Anderson Silva wants big-money event fights. And he's willing to work at heavyweight to make sure they happen.

Not only that, they already had an opponent in mind: Frank Mir.

Disinterested by middleweight contenders Nathan Marquardt, Demian Maia and Dan Henderson, and unwilling to fight close friend Lyoto Machida at light heavyweight -- where Silva could conceivably knock off challengers and make a disaster out of the UFC's marquee division -- "The Spider" needs new, challenging scenarios to stay motivated. A move to heavyweight would certainly achieve that, and according to Silva's manager Ed Soares, the UFC was receptive to the idea.

STORY

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Awesome.

heck let em take lesnar.see how he fares.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

Hmmm.....I don't think I see A. Silva doing to well at HW. At MW he is the king, at LHW he is a beast, but at HW he is small. Even if he does gain say 25 lbs, he would only be about 230 which is a small UFC HW. Silva's bread and butter is that speed and accuracy, I just don't see him doing well against guys like Herring, Kongo, Gonzaga....much less the high end HWs. I think Silva is just looking at finishing things up and retiring. Personally I think he should give Nate and Dan both rematches, then if he has the fights on contract a big LHW fight like say Rampage or Shogun.

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Posted by jae_1833

Hmmm.....I don't think I see A. Silva doing to well at HW. At MW he is the king, at LHW he is a beast, but at HW he is small. Even if he does gain say 25 lbs, he would only be about 230 which is a small UFC HW. Silva's bread and butter is that speed and accuracy, I just don't see him doing well against guys like Herring, Kongo, Gonzaga....much less the high end HWs. I think Silva is just looking at finishing things up and retiring. Personally I think he should give Nate and Dan both rematches, then if he has the fights on contract a big LHW fight like say Rampage or Shogun.

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

Then drop the MW title if you're not motivated to fight the people deserving of a title shot there.

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

this looks to me like hes eying a big money fight with randy not too far down the road.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Then drop the MW title if you're not motivated to fight the people deserving of a title shot there.

+1

I'm tired of hearing about what Anderson wants to do. Hell, I'm tired of hearing about Anderson, period.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Honestly they need to just find a definite contender for him at middle weight first. Have the winner of Mai vs Nate fight Dan Henderson. That's the only way to make a number 1 contender. Then when he beats which ever one of them talk about lhw or hw. Who cares really I don't see any one beating anderson at any weight.

seanfu » Posted 11/4/07 10:24:00AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

+1

I'm tired of hearing about what Anderson wants to do. Hell, I'm tired of hearing about Anderson, period.

Anderson Silva could beat Fedor and Brock in a handicap tornado tagteam ladder match . He would knock out Fedor and make Brock tap via indian burn.

Anderson Silva's so slick he makes GSP look like velcro.

Anderson Silva can have my babies.

mkiv9secsupra » Posted 1/30/07 1:49:00AM

Anderson, Anderson, Anderson....tisk tisk... you are the MIDDLEWEIGHT king, not the king of all fighters. You are going to get rag dolled against the huge HW.

Let GG have him if he really wants a HW fight

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA » Posted 1/8/08 1:42:00AM

SI.com confirmed that Silva's representatives had spoken with Zuffa about the heralded UFC middleweight champion moving up to heavyweight for the first time in his career.

Dont see where it says anderson wouldn't be willing to fight middle weight contenders . He most likely wants the mir fight to evenge Nogs loss . UFC doesnt want anderson knocking off number 1 contenders for machida . Just more " news" bs taken out of context .

adamsb » Posted 5/22/07 6:11:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

Honestly they need to just find a definite contender for him at middle weight first. Have the winner of Mai vs Nate fight Dan Henderson. That's the only way to make a number 1 contender. Then when he beats which ever one of them talk about lhw or hw. Who cares really I don't see any one beating anderson at any weight.

o god anderson is a dominant fighter but lets be relistic hes going to be vary small he needs to stick to MW and LHW so to say you dont see him loseing at any weight is carzy any fighter can be beat on any day

nickcuc547 » Posted 1/27/07 12:52:00PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

+1

haha, as long as he keeps embarrasing the best the sport has to offer, I'm sorry to say you will be hearing from him. And his fanboys, like myself.

StorminYourman » Posted 1/24/07 5:45:00PM

I am stoked for this!
I say let the man challenge himself.
He could win the super Hulk touney if he was involved!

Hendo67 » Posted 11/18/08 1:59:00PM

Why Mir? seriously, why not someone who will give Anderson trouble like Lesnar, like Velasquez, like Cro-Cop...

Why Mir? he just got throttled...

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]