MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Is Fedor Emelianenko or Josh Barnett the Kimbo Slice of Affliction?   [View Full Version]
emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

With Affliction: Trilogy collapsing around Tom Atencio's ears like a house of cards, two big questions need to be asked:

1 - Is this the end of Affliction as a ppv fight promoter?
2 - If so, who is more to blame? Josh Barnett for failing a drug test or the entire model of building an entire promotion around one fighter -- let's call it the Kimbo Slice model.

STORY

teddythetuna » Posted 1/16/07 5:06:00PM

Affliction is the Kimbo Slice of Affliction. They killed their own promotion.

Giant_Ochai » Posted 5/19/09 7:57:00PM

Posted by teddythetuna

Agreed. They've done a terrible job with such a great roster. I hope the fighters won't still be stuck in Affliction contracts after this.

scobac » Posted 9/9/07 5:01:00PM

Posted by teddythetuna

They have noone to blame but themselves. Barnett should get static for the failed test but Affliction should have had a back up for every fight on that card (especially the main event), that is just bad buss. Like Dana says time and time again he makes it look easy but is far from it, when will these other promotions learn this?

Styles » Posted 9/13/07 6:01:00PM

Posted by scobac

Posted by teddythetuna

They have noone to blame but themselves. Barnett should get static for the failed test but Affliction should have had a back up for every fight on that card (especially the main event), that is just bad buss. Like Dana says time and time again he makes it look easy but is far from it, when will these other promotions learn this?

I said this event would never happen with the type of card they were trying to do. I was ready to eat those words and be wrong but then this happens. An 18 fight card??? seriously??? Imagine all the money that went into that itselfs let alone the fact that 32 people trained their ass off and then less then 2-weeks prior, all that training, all that money, completely wasted.

On a side note, it woul dbe funny if Zuffa held a going away event for afflication and put 24 of those fighters to work... LOL

DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

1. As i just posted in another thread, yes.
2. No. That would be none other than TIMMAY!! The Seth Petruzelli was Ray Mercer.

sclasclemski » Posted 3/28/09 12:47:00PM

I recently posted the same thing mentioning Kimbo as well

telnights » Posted 6/21/07 4:17:00PM

Affliction issues are very clear.

1. Marketing! Marketing! Marketing! They didn't market their shows very well at all. When basing your hole company on PPV you have to market like crazy.

2. Over paying a large number of their fighters. Tim got payed 700k to get almost KOed and Subbed in less than 40 sec. He isn't the only fighter that was way over payed.

3. Basing their shows around one fighter. This cause tons of issue one major one it limits the number of shows you can put on. You cant just put on one show every 3-6 months because you wont promote an event without that one fighter. People want MMA without having to wait months to get it.

4. Trying to compete with the UFC right off the bat. You cant compete with them out of the gate it will take time to build your brand.

5. Very poor show production. No one wants to listen to guys that keeps repeating themselves and cant seam to even do an interview correctly.

6. Costly partnerships/ Co-promoting - Its was costing them money to have company's promote at their own event.

7. 1-6 leads up to this - Poor management - All these issue could have been avoided if they had someone that had half a clue of what they were doing.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

i agree

The-Don » Posted 11/11/07 7:40:00PM

not much more to be said.. they have the roster to rival the UFC. If I were not actively looking for the Affliction shows.. I never would have heard of them... Teh casual fan certianly would never have heard of an Affliction show... They should have done some smaller shows maybe with a TV deal to help promote the big PPV. maybe show a few of Fedors earlier fights on TV help create a Buzz around him.. so when the PPV comes up more then just the more hardcore fans would have been excited.

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

the situations are not remotely comparable IMO other than that Kimbo and Fedor were both the main draws for their respective companies. Gary Shaw was a crooked promoter who tried to milk an internet sensation for money and Affliction came into the market with a bad business plan spending too much money on the wrong things, not marketing themselves properly, and worst of all, setting themselves up as the most direct competitor of the UFC.

its a metaphor...the circumstances are clearly different but the fact is THE main event fight for Affliction and EliteXC was screwed up and that event basically was the last straw in these two promotions attempt at operating...I think its a fair comparison

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

I realize it's a metaphor..... A metaphor is a comparison, thus the comment "I don't think the situations are remotely comparable". I'm saying the metaphor makes no sense. It's apples and oranges.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one

[View Full Version of this Page]