MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
The Appeal of Georges St. Pierre Demands a Move to Middleweight   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

There's something special about Georges St. Pierre. Every time he fights, I'm left in awe by his performance. Last night he fought a 200 pound man who Josh Koscheck could not take down. Mohammed Lawal, an excellent wrestler in his own right, did not think St. Pierre would be able to take Alves down. He was wrong. St. Pierre was able to take him down almost at will, and did it even with a bad groin injury in the last two rounds.

St. Pierre's run has been filled with fights that raised doubts. Would he crack under the pressure against Serra? Could he handle Fitch's tenacity and wrestling ability? Could he deal with Penn's quicker boxing and legendary jiu-jitsu? Could he take down a guy nobody else could, and if not how could he deal with a superior striker on paper? Since his loss to Matt Serra, he's answered every question with a resounding yes.

CONTINUED...

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

We could only hope it would make 185 that much deeper and would make 170 more interseting. I think after saturday night that Anderson GSP would be the biggest fight ever and I think GSP would win.

zephead » Posted 1/16/07 5:32:00PM

GSP is amazing. He beats people at their own games and when he's done, he invents games. Who is left at 170 that has a chance?

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Nightmare27 » Posted 1/22/07 8:46:00PM

Its not that I dont think that GSP has cleaned out the WW division, its just that after Silva vs Griffin I hope Anderson does a little more work at MW. I think that Henderson vs Silva 2 would be good not to mention the Marquart vs Maia winner.

Posted by Nightmare27

Its not that I dont think that GSP has cleaned out the WW division, its just that after Silva vs Griffin I hope Anderson does a little more work at MW. I think that Henderson vs Silva 2 would be good not to mention the Marquart vs Maia winner.

I agree all great fights but you can't tell me GSP Anderson isn't the one you would be most intrested in. By the way Dan Henderson is my fav fighter and I still want GSP Anderson to go down. I also wouldn't have a problem with GSP proving himself with one good win at 185 so say Dan gets the title shot and GSP Maia fight cause I don't think Marquart and GSP will fight I we would get to see DAN Anderson 2 and GSP probably keep a fight on the feet cause the ground is no place to be with Maia.

SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

GSP said it himself after the fight if he was to move up he's want to do it sensibly. He walks around at 185ish now which would leave him with a massive size disadvantage to most of the MW devision.
I honestly think he'd still run through some of the top contenders if not all of them, but if he was to move up I'd like to see him take on some of the contenders before he fought Silva.
Its only fair that he gets time to adjust to the weight before they throw him the champion. Just like they are doing with Silva at LHW.
If he moves up and does it how he wants I honestly could see him steamrolling Anderson and becoming the greatest MMA fighter of all time. I'd even have him above Fedor as the greatest of all time no questions asked.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

tdietel01 » Posted 1/25/08 3:18:00PM

why cant they do a catch weight with no title on the line. Nobody want one guy to hold 2 belts because there isnt enough time in a year for the title to be defended. is 178 too weird of a catch weight? I know anderson walks around alot heavier than that, would that put him at a big disadvantage?

tmas » Posted 6/15/07 2:09:00AM

no catch weight Anderson walks around at 215+ he would have trouble making anything less then 185. GSP walks around about 190 he said, and he wants to fight at MW at some point he said he would have to bulk up and add some weight 10-15 lbs.

Irish_Pride » Posted 7/12/09 7:13:00PM

Posted by SmileR

I honestly think he'd still run through some of the top contenders if not all of them, but if he was to move up I'd like to see him take on some of the contenders before he fought Silva.
Its only fair that he gets time to adjust to the weight before they throw him the champion. Just like they are doing with Silva at LHW.

I would love to see GSP fight against Anderson, but I completely agree with SmileR. I think GSP should fight some contenders at MW before just jumping in there against Silva as his first fight at 185. Let him figh some other guys first like Bisping or Maia. Then, once he feels good at 185 put him up against Silva. It will only make the fight even better.

marcus1 » Posted 6/29/09 3:56:00PM

GSP should stop worrying about his legacy and start thinking about finishing fights! I'm not trying to knock the guy but who wants to watch the champ lay 'n' pray his way through the division? Anderson Silva does not go to decision! It does not matter who they put in front of him. If GSP wants to be the best he needs to look to end fights!

telnights » Posted 6/21/07 4:17:00PM

Posted by marcus1

GSP should stop worrying about his legacy and start thinking about finishing fights! I'm not trying to knock the guy but who wants to watch the champ lay 'n' pray his way through the division? Anderson Silva does not go to decision! It does not matter who they put in front of him. If GSP wants to be the best he needs to look to end fights!

Your new so I will let this almost troll post slide. GSP wasn't LnP that's like people saying Lesnar LnP Mir when he was clearly controlling Mir and landing very good and hard shots. GSP landed a lot of good shots on the ground and was controlling Alves from start to finish, The hole time GSP was on the ground he was working to improve position and working his GnP. He did all this and was doing it injured for half of the fight.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Posted by marcus1

Anderson Silva does not go to decision! It does not matter who they put in front of him.

...unless it's Thales Leites. Or Lee Murray. Or Jeremy Horn. Or Alexander Otsuka. Or Hayato Sakurai. Or Tetsuji Kato. Or Luiz Azeredo.

But other than those, Anderson Silva does not go to decision!

marcus1 » Posted 6/29/09 3:56:00PM

Sorry. He's went to decision 7 of the 28 times he's fought.... My bad.

Posted by marcus1

Sorry. He's went to decision 7 of the 28 times he's fought.... My bad.

Hes fresh off a decsion and was on his way to one with Cote. Both of those men where said to not have a chance to make it out of the first round. GSP goes to a decision with Alves who many thought would take the belt and there is a problem? He made BJ Penn Quit. Think.....Type.....Post

cmill21 » Posted 5/27/07 4:09:00PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by marcus1

Your new so I will let this almost troll post slide. GSP wasn't LnP that's like people saying Lesnar LnP Mir when he was clearly controlling Mir and landing very good and hard shots. GSP landed a lot of good shots on the ground and was controlling Alves from start to finish, The hole time GSP was on the ground he was working to improve position and working his GnP. He did all this and was doing it injured for half of the fight.

It wasn't a LnP, but man he bores the hell outta me.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]