MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Georges St. Pierre, Thiago Alves: Two Huge Welterweights at UFC 100   [View Full Version]
babytater03 » Posted 8/28/07 10:32:00AM

UFC welterweight champion Georges St Pierre and No. 1 contender Thiago Alves, who will meet at UFC 100, aren't just the top two welterweights in the UFC. They might also be the two biggest. On a call Thursday to promote their upcoming fight, St. Pierre and Alves said they both weigh more than 190 pounds right now, just over two weeks out from a UFC 100 weigh-in for which they'll have to tip the scales at 170.

CLICK

three_days_of_grey » Posted 7/7/07 7:03:00PM

Not an issue for GSP. However, Alves has missed weight before. As soon ashtis fight was announced that was my concern: Can Alves even make weight and if so, how much will the cut affect him? Correct me if I am wr-wr-wr incorrect but if memory serves title fights don't even permit the usual 1 lb allowance. The difference in that 16 oz is potentially going into the 4th round of a title fight and feeding pigeons at the park with Travis Lutter. I have the feeling that the weight cut and the wrecking ball that GSP has been is going to be too much for him in the end.

-OUT-

Cdellorso » Posted 7/6/07 10:54:00PM

In a difference direction- Alves is the most skilled fighter he has fought??
RRRRREEEEAAALLLLY!!

Alves is a bad ass- but not more skilled than BJ- possibly not more "skilled" than fitch- Alves is a big dude and if if he makes weight- will lose badly to Gsp as his cut will burn him out before rd 3.....Gsp will not Slug with him and will wear him down wrestling rd 1 and 2

as long as we dont see a big punch early....GSP - all the way-

4u2nv » Posted 5/12/08 12:26:00PM

Posted by Cdellorso

In a difference direction- Alves is the most skilled fighter he has fought??
RRRRREEEEAAALLLLY!!

Alves is a bad ass- but not more skilled than BJ- possibly not more "skilled" than fitch- Alves is a big dude and if if he makes weight- will lose badly to Gsp as his cut will burn him out before rd 3.....Gsp will not Slug with him and will wear him down wrestling rd 1 and 2

as long as we dont see a big punch early....GSP - all the way-

Hahaha my thoughts exactly... My guess and u heard it first i don't think one of them one of them are going to make weight.

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

I agree... Alves is built for a 3 round all out war, not a 5 round war of attrition. The longer this fight goes the more it favors GSP. As with most any fight he takes.

That being said- mark my words- Alves will be very dangerous in the first two rounds. Knees, knees, knees.

[View Full Version of this Page]