MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
UFC Quick Quote: Jon Jones thinks Lyoto Machida is ‘very beatable’   [View Full Version]
emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

“I think Machida is getting a lot of hype, and I know he has lots of big wins over a lot of big fighters, and a lot of experience over me. I don’t think he’s Christ; I think he’s very beatable. They’re looking at him and his karate like he’s Bruce Lee. He’s not Bruce Lee. He’s very beatable. I honestly believe that a great Muay Thai champion will beat a great karate fighter any day; it’s been proven on lots of occasions. If Machida has (the belt) by the time I get to that level, I’ll be ready for him..."

CONTINUED...

RNC » Posted 9/5/07 7:26:00PM

Jon Jones is without a doubt a very talented young fighter, but he should try beating somebody whos even top 10 before he talks about the #1 LHW in the world.

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

Lyoto is not a karate fighter ppl need to get over that. The man is an MMA fighter and one of the best in the world. Jon Jones is a tough young kid but I think he should get some big wins under his belt before he even mentions Machida!!!

KUTTER » Posted 6/16/09 3:26:00PM

I got to say Machida REALLY impresses me. Ive been taking muay thai for about 2 years, which was night and day from karate as remember taking it as a kid. Honestly Machida had me evaluate the comparison. Although I still think muay thai blows deal significant more force, but karate style was difficult to telegraph.How can Jon Jones say "by time im at that level etc" but also say he "very beatable" lmao. Beatable sure, everyone is. But I think Jones needs step off his high horse.Acknowledges he NOT on Machida level yet, says he very beatable. He needs to look where show boating got Rasheed HUMILIATED

KaibaThedon » Posted 3/25/09 9:45:00PM

He would get "boned" by Machida... At least he doesn't talk in third person like Mayweather lol.

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Jones might not get a chance to beat machida if shogun does.

Jesse_Canadian_MMA » Posted 1/11/08 5:48:00PM

^^^^but shogun won't

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

anything can happen

XblacksheepX » Posted 5/6/07 6:11:00PM

Machida IS a karate fighter. He added wrestling and bjj to it, but karate IS his base. His stand up is pure karate. What seperates him from any other karate fighter before him in a mma cage is, that he is using karate timing, tactics and technique in a perfect way. in and out, countertiming, distance, elusiveness, timing the opponents off balance... non telegraphed karate kicks, on point strikes, foot sweeps and so on.... that is exactly what it's all about on a high level point karate competition. moving easy, working the distance and then suddenly concentrating all power and speed in one strike = karate!

muay thay fighting is very different. jones is a very good up and comer and i enjoy watching him fight, but here he doesn't know what he is talking about..

xphycorx » Posted 7/3/07 12:48:00AM

if jon jones gets a couple more consecutive wins, which i think he will, i hope he gets a shot at machida. he is so quick and explosive, i don't care how young and inexperienced he is. i think he has a better shot than most at beating machida.

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

Posted by sparky

Lyoto is not a karate fighter ppl need to get over that. The man is an MMA fighter and one of the best in the world. Jon Jones is a tough young kid but I think he should get some big wins under his belt before he even mentions Machida!!!

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by sparky

But Jones even says, "I know I have a lot of time before I get to that level of fighting him, but when I do, I definitely won’t be nervous or intimidated by him at all, and (I’ll be) ready to fight him." It's not like he's unaware of his position as a top-shelf prospect right now, and I don't blame him for saying he can beat somebody and that he thinks he knows what it takes to take the champion out. It's better than a fighter admitting defeat prematurely.

Can't wait for Jonny Bones to headkick Machida into oblivion next December at Madison Square Garden. (I can dream!)

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by sparky

But Jones even says, "I know I have a lot of time before I get to that level of fighting him, but when I do, I definitely won’t be nervous or intimidated by him at all, and (I’ll be) ready to fight him." It's not like he's unaware of his position as a top-shelf prospect right now, and I don't blame him for saying he can beat somebody and that he thinks he knows what it takes to take the champion out. It's better than a fighter admitting defeat prematurely.

Can't wait for Jonny Bones to headkick Machida into oblivion next December at Madison Square Garden. (I can dream!)

Yeah, my agreement was more directed at the first part of the post.

Lyoto is not a karate fighter ppl need to get over that. The man is an MMA fighter and one of the best in the world.

[View Full Version of this Page]