MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Report: 23 MMA Fighters Failed California Drug Tests in the Past 12 Months   [View Full Version]
disorderlyvision » Posted 2/22/07 12:49:00PM

link

just like the title says

Manfred » Posted 2/3/07 11:32:00AM

Couldn't get your link to work, but Google found me this article: LINK

California Fighting for Drug-Free Competition in Boxing, Mixed Martial Arts

12:11 AM PST on Tuesday, February 27, 2007

By DAVID A. AVILA
The Press-Enterprise

With mandatory drug and steroid testing poised to begin next month, a state official revealed that 52 professional boxers and mixed martial arts fighters, including Cesar Gracie, Hector Camacho Jr., Bas Rutten and Alfonso Gomez, failed drug tests last year......

When did BAS fail a drug test? He only fought Villarael last year and I don't remember hearing he failed a drug test. Did I miss something? Same goes for Gracie.

I don't follow boxing so I don't know about the other two.

creativedestruction » Posted 1/25/07 12:03:00AM

What did Bas test for? I never heard that either.

disorderlyvision » Posted 2/22/07 12:49:00PM

try this link

sorry about that this link should work

ffforgottenx » Posted 1/25/07 8:56:00AM

bas tested positive for hydrocodone, morphine, and benadryl.. pain medications.. if you ask me, it was probably for his knee or something else that was injured in training.. but i guess i can see how it would be a performance enhancer..

how about your boy cesar gracie testing positive for the ganja?
i'm surprised how many of these fighters smoke up..

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

im really not too surprised to see so many guys smoking in mma just based on the percentage of people in general that do, not to mention theyre in a business that requires them to have the adrenaline going so high so often(training, fighting, etc) that i can see them using it to mellow out

madmarck » Posted 1/24/07 5:55:00PM

Posted by ffforgottenx

bas tested positive for hydrocodone, morphine, and benadryl.. pain medications.. if you ask me, it was probably for his knee or something else that was injured in training.. but i guess i can see how it would be a performance enhancer..

how about your boy cesar gracie testing positive for the ganja?
i'm surprised how many of these fighters smoke up..

Yeah i read that and it said Bas tested postive for Benadryl and my first though was............ isnt that legal? As well Morphine is legal is it not? (when used in hospitals)

Rush » Posted 1/31/07 10:42:00PM

Morphine is legal to an extent, but so are certain steriods, when used for specific medicinal purposes.

Morphine is an opiate and since it's a pain killer, I can understand why they would ban it in a combat sport (where pain plays a role in the outcome)

As for MMA athletes smoking pot, I just don't get it. I don't understand why they would put their health in jeopardy like that.

Mind you in some cases, just being in the vicinity of people that smoke pot can cause you to test positive for it (from the second hand smoke)

[View Full Version of this Page]