MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Josh Koscheck vs Frank Trigg possible for UFC 103 on Sept. 26; Matt Hughes also in the mix   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

Top-ranked welterweight contender, Josh Koscheck (12-4), and former number one division contender, Frank Trigg (19-6), are in talks to battle it out for 170-pound supremacy at UFC 103 on Sept. 26.

MMAmania.com learned earlier today about the likely match up; however, a venue is still unknown at this time (locations in the United Kingdom and Las Vegas are under under consideration) for the event. In addition, nine-time division kingpin, Matt Hughes, is also lurking in the shadows as a possible opponent for Koscheck … albeit on the outside.

When reached for comment, Koscheck indicated that he didn’t have a preference, saying “I’ll fight either one of those guys. Line them up back-to-back so I can beat one and then move onto the other. It’s nothing personal against them — Trigg and Hughes are both great fighters and a fight with either one of those guys would be a great show for the fans. And that is what it’s all about. I want big fights against big names, guys who will motivate me to train harder than ever before — Trigg and Hughes are those types of guys.”

“Kos” broke his toe back in April while training for his 170-pound match up with Chris Wilson at UFC 98, which would have marked his fourth fight in six months. The wrestling phenom is already back at full strength after spending the past few months on the disabled list, itching to return from the sidelines and get back to his winning ways.

Koscheck was recently upended when he walked into a Paulo Thiago uppercut at UFC 95: “Sanchez vs. Stevenson” last February. The referee jumped in to stop the action in the first round after Koscheck hit the canvas, which several onlookers, including Koscheck, felt was a premature stoppage.

He will no doubt look to exact revenge on his next opponent, which could very well be the the 37-year-old veteran welterweight who just this week signed a contract to return to the organization.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

I think Koscheck can beat both Trigg and Hughes! Good match up either way in my opinion.

KaibaThedon » Posted 3/25/09 9:45:00PM

Koscheck via 30-27 Unanimous... unless he walks into another uppercut!

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

I want to see Koscheck vs Hughes. Lets see hughes try and strike with Kos.

And then Fitch vs Trigg.

I don't see how a fight with Hughes should even be considered. Hughes decisively won the first two fights and now the only thing that could come of it is Trigg can say he beat Hughes in the twilight of his career, even then he's still 2-1 down.

I think the Kos fight makes the most sense and I'd love to see if Trigg can still hang with that level of competition. Kos could do with a win after getting KO'd an if Trigg beats Kos he's instantly a contender and established with the new UFC crowd.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

I dont think there was any talk of Trigg vs Hughes again.

They are saying Kos vs Trigg or Kos vs Hughes.

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I dont think there was any talk of Trigg vs Hughes again.

They are saying Kos vs Trigg or Kos vs Hughes.

ooohhhh, never mind then.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

I'm loving it . Thats the only Trigg fight I care to see . I hate Kos but I respect his game , he's a quicker , stronger version of Trigg , he even has him beat in the mouth department . Koschek is the best gate keeper in the game right now . Trigg wasn't Hughes gate keeper he was his floor mat . He's the most overated fighter this side of Diego Sanchez . Hope he gets a foot up his ass .

ravanunen » Posted 1/2/09 5:11:00AM

I think Kos will win either

Trigg's been fighting at 185 for his past 9 fights or so, and he's 37, so that weight cut will substantially affect his conditioning imo. Also Kos is just a better fighter, and has never lost two consecutive fights

Hughes isn't nearly as good at striking as Kos, and Kos's wrestling is too good for hughes to beat him by just keeping him on the ground, and on top of that, Kos trains with Dave Camrillo, so he's got some good bjj skills

kopower » Posted 7/3/07 12:31:00AM

Kos by destruction no matter which of the two it is. He is superior to both of them now

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Mayhem13 » Posted 6/28/07 1:10:00AM

I would like to see Kos vs Trigg.. I think Kos would win, and has the better stand-up of the two..even if it mainly consists of only an overhand right...

He is also quicker and stronger..
I think he would win an unanimous decision...but it wouldnt be a complete onesideed fight

DevonFoxy » Posted 6/27/07 1:57:00PM

I agree with the majority that he would beat both soundly. I would rather him fight Hughes because I'm a fan of both and when Kos did beat him he would probably get a title shot with the way things are going with Shogun beating Chuck and getting a title shot....lol.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

I'd rather see Koscheck fight Hughes; Trigg as a future opponent maybe.

I don't want to see Trigg's first fight in 4 years at 170, at age 37 against a title contender. Too many reasons for him to not perform at his peak with how hard it'll be to cut the weight for him. Hes already gone on record a year or two ago that it was too difficult on his body to make 170, it doesn't get easier with an added year or two.

MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

I would also rather see Kos fight Hughes.

I've gained a lot of respect for Koscheck just recently with his attitude towards taking ANY fight the UFC offers him.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

right now it looks like a done deal with kos meeting trigg at ufc 103 according to mmaweekly.com

good fight, but i do think kos will knock trigg out

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]