MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Master Helio Gracie has passed away   [View Full Version]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
cmill21 » Posted 5/27/07 4:09:00PM

RIP< I hope your family continues to keep your legacy strong.

pv3Hpv3p » Posted 1/24/07 6:08:00PM

Rest in peace

casey64 » Posted 7/5/07 2:39:00PM

R.I.P, a terrible loss.

DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

Posted by cmill21

RIP< I hope your family continues to keep your legacy strong.

I think it's safe to say that will be the case. Wiki linked me to the Gracie Academy Website (gracieacademy.com) so I did a little research and it's very safe to say the Gracie legacy will continue for a VERY LONG time.

A couple of related links that might be of interest:
http://gracieacademy.com/family_tree.html

http://www.gracieacademy.com/ftc.htm

http://gracieacademy.com/generations.html

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

If Royce is the father of modern MMA then Helio is the Grandfather. The sport probably wouldn't have attained the popularity that it has without these guys.

A legend in life and death. R.I.P.

im2fast4u1981 » Posted 1/24/07 10:36:00PM

Sad day 4 the sport...The ufc is the house that gracie built.... RIP

jiujitsufreak74 » Posted 9/24/07 7:28:00PM

sad day for all who have learned the art that him and his brother founded. my condolences to the entire Gracie family.

Bowen50 » Posted 6/21/07 12:42:00PM

RIP Helio

breakdown5 » Posted 1/15/07 7:35:00PM

A true legend. A very sad day for the sport.

bigbubbano23 » Posted 10/26/07 10:31:00PM

R.I.P Helio, one of the greatest to ever live, and definitely one of the baddest mofo's of his time.

MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

Royce Gracie provided an open letter to Tatame regarding the recent passing of his father Helio. Here it is, in full:

Today my father, Helio, at the age of 95 passed on. I am honored to be the son of such a great man! He was an inspiration to me throughout my life. As a Grandmaster of Jiu-Jitsu and the father of "Vale Tudo" he brought Gracie Jiu-Jitsu to the forefront of martial arts. He was a man of small stature but his heart was that of a giant. He proved with Gracie Jiu-Jitsu that even a small man could overcome a bigger stronger opponent by using leverage and technique. He was truly an innovator. Just look around and you can see how his success gave birth to the sport of mixed martial arts that we all enjoy today. Many of you may think that the greatest thing my father ever gave me was Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. But I want all of you to know that I will remember him most for what he taught me off the matt. He taught me how to be a man, a husband and a father. He showed me how to be honorable, respectful and diligent. He taught me how to be a whole person. I ask that together we celebrate the remarkable life of my father, Helio Gracie. The greatest tribute you can to pay to my father is to continue to train and share Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, remembering to never lose sight of the fact that what you do off the matt counts more than what you do on the matt. Face life's challenges with confidence, dare to pursue your dreams and live to the fullest just as my father did. God bless us all! Royce

DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

This small bit comes from GRACIEMAG.com:
"GRACIEMAG.com provides the email gracie@graciemag.com to all who wish to send messages of solidarity to the Gracie Family at the moment of grief for the loss of Grandmaster Helio."

Helio Gracie Definitive Interview

Remembering Helio Gracie
Includes quotes form Demian Maia and Minotauro Nogueira.

telnights » Posted 6/21/07 4:17:00PM

This is truly a sad day for MMA as he was truly one of the founders of the sport and BJJ as we know it today. He changed the way a lot of people looked at martial arts. He will be missed...RIP Helio

MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

The Ultimate Fighting Championship will dedicate the 94th edition to the Brazilian Helio Gracie, patriarch of the Jiu-Jitsu, who passed away last Thursday, with 95 years old, in Itaipava, Rio de Janeiro. Before the beginning of the show, organizers will announce the tribute to the public at MGM Grand Garden Arena, in Las Vegas, USA.

"The legendary patriarch of jiu-jitsu’s first family, Helio Gracie, has passed away at the age of 95. The father of nine children, including UFC Hall of Famer Royce, the master of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu was revered throughout the world for his gentle manner off the mat and his amazing skill and technique on it. He will be sorely missed. The UFC sends its sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Helio Gracie", said the statement, released on UFC’s official site, on Thursday.

From Tatame.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]

[View Full Version of this Page]