MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Larry Merchant claims Affliction paid Oscar De La Hoya $5 million …   [View Full Version]
MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

… to attend and help promote “Day of Reckoning” — a venture that his Golden Boy Promotions backed — rather than sit ringside at a big boxing match that aired on HBO that same night.

Here’s the Merchant rant via MMA Insider Blog:

“A celebrity who is here in bronze only [referring to a bronze statue of Oscar De La Hoya that stands outside the Staples Center]. Oscar De La Hoya, the live version, is in nearby Anaheim, where his company got a $5 million fee from a t-shirt maker so that he would be personally involved the promotion of a mixed martial arts show.It would take that much, Jim, to get me to go to one of those things.”

LINK

MattHughesRules » Posted 1/24/07 7:05:00PM

This is expected out of a guy like Merchant. He is so blinded by the history of the fight game that he refuses to accept anything new. He is afraid that mma is going to take over.....and in time it will. I like boxing and consider myself a fan but mma is a far better and more exciting product. As far as the 5 mill for Oscar goes, I can't really comment because I know nothing about it. He looked like he was having a blast though so maybe it was an investment well spent if he gets on board with mma and shows up at future events.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Get paid 5 mil to go watch a Big MMA event. Who wouldnt do it?

motorboatensob » Posted 1/29/07 3:59:00PM

Doesn't make since why would you pay your top fighter and HW champ 300,000.00 and then pay some over the hill boxer $5mill to set and watch. Larry Merchant is a dumb a!!

breakdown5 » Posted 1/15/07 7:35:00PM

This company is bleeding money. Not a good investment. Who cares if De La Hoya is at the event. You saw him a couple of times on TV and thats it. Definitely money well spent.

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

I don't see this being true. Maybe golden boys cut was to be 5 million only if Oscar was ring side but there is no way they would simply pay him 5 million for just showing up.

Oscar De La Hoya is worth the money........according to Bloody Elbow.

Makes sense what he's saying.

Ulfhethnar6 » Posted 11/3/08 1:40:00PM

Posted by breakdown5

This company is bleeding money. Not a good investment. Who cares if De La Hoya is at the event. You saw him a couple of times on TV and thats it. Definitely money well spent.

Bobby Green cared.

UNTRUE

[View Full Version of this Page]