MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Matt Serra plans on "Retiring" Matt Hughes   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
The_Italian_Stallion » Posted 5/13/08 4:43:00PM

Before butting heads as rival coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter 6," Matt Serra said he and fellow former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes were actually buddies and had plans to train together.

A bitter rivalry, though, soon replaced the budding bro-mance.

Now, after 18 months of waiting, Serra will finally get his chance to fight Hughes in May at UFC 98. Serra recently told MMAjunkie.com it is the "biggest fight of my career" and said he plans to "decapitate" Hughes on his way to victory.

LINK

I still think Hughes is going to wipe the floor with him and ironically probably retire HIM!

DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

Part of me doesn't want the fight to happen because I'm enjoying their trash talking too much.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

I'm hoping the stars align and we get another rare double-KO. Hell, let Shonie Carter referee the damn thing.

loller90278 » Posted 1/16/07 3:05:00PM

i wish the topic title ended after "retiring"

scoozna » Posted 1/25/07 12:53:00PM

Posted by emfleek

I'm hoping the stars align and we get another rare double-KO. Hell, let Shonie Carter referee the damn thing.

...lol...I'm hoping for Serra to gogoplata Hughes. Hughes won't want to stand with him, he'll want to GnP, Serra has those short legs and good flexibility. I have a dream! (It is MLK day after all).

HumanTarget » Posted 4/16/08 7:47:00PM

Lets be realistic people, Serra isn't going to beat Hughes. Serra does terrible against wrestlers and Hughes has good JJ as well. He will stay away from the submissions and pound his meatball head into the canvas.

Wolfenstein » Posted 12/13/07 3:31:00AM

I would love to see Serra retire Hughes, but I doubt it will happen. For someone with such a decorated BJJ background, you would expect Serra to have plenty of submission victories, but he hasn't had one in 7 years. If he had better offensive BJJ I would give him a better chance, but most likely he'll be on his back with his guard closed for the majority of the fight.

If Serra can keep it on the feet, I think he is the better striker. It's tough to pick against the X-factor though...the X-factor being that I think Serra wants this fight more than Hughes.

It doesn't look like Hughes's heart is really in MMA recently, but he's only lost to GSP, Alves, and BJ in the last four years and pretty much dominated the rest. He still has the talent to beat most top ten WW's.

Hoping for Serra, but going with the more likely result with Hughes by UD.

SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

I might be the only guy on here wanting Hughes to win! Something about the way Serra went about trash talking Hughes a few months back really got my back up.
Either way the smart money is on Hughes, the only way I can see Serra winning is a weird flash KO from nowhere... and we all know that doesn't happen.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

xtra_chewy » Posted 5/17/07 3:16:00AM

Posted by loller90278

motorboatensob » Posted 1/29/07 3:59:00PM

I was once a big Hughes fan and still am a little not because he has lost 2\3 but because he stopped training for fights. He stopped lifting training and being that big dominate WW that got him to the top. To much family, book deals and new gym stuff keeping him out of training. If he comes in like he once did I'll cheer for him I would like to see him go out in good fashion.

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

I think Alves already retired him, this fight is just a formality.

casey64 » Posted 7/5/07 2:39:00PM

Posted by loller90278

After this fight, he'll probly retire both will IMO, they should anyway.

nickcuc547 » Posted 1/27/07 12:52:00PM

hughes will out class serra, hughes is better in just about every department except for punching power.

Afflicted » Posted 8/17/08 4:21:00PM

I really hope that Matt Hughes comes out and destroys Matt Serra. I really dont like the guy at all, and would love to watch him suffer another beating. He talks too much for a guy who really isnt that good and only won the tilte with a lucky shot and then got dominated in the rematch.

Chuteboxer » Posted 3/24/07 2:47:00PM

Posted by SmileR

I might be the only guy on here wanting Hughes to win! Something about the way Serra went about trash talking Hughes a few months back really got my back up.

You're not the only one. I wasn't even aware Hughes and Serra were ever 'friends' because I would think Hughes would've mentioned that at some point if that was the case. So I'm guessing Serra's just playing this up a little more as well.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]