MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Referee Steve Mazzagatti insists all is well despite recent criticism   [View Full Version]
MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

Judging by the fall-out from December's "UFC 92: The Ultimate 2008," longtime referee Steve Mazzagatti did not have his best performance.

A perceived slow response to end both the Cheick Kongo vs. Mostapha al Turk and Rashad Evans vs. Forrest Griffin bouts led UFC President Dana White to say Mazzagatti was "a nice guy, but he's not a referee," at the post-event press conference.

LINK

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

I saw nothing wrong with either of the stoppages. The Al-turk fight could've ended a couple shots earlier, but it wasn't as bad as kenny and dana made it out to be. Both fighters were dazed but still conscious, and especially in a title fight, the champ should be given a reasonable chance to regain his composure.. I thought the Evans/Griffin fight was pretty much perfect.

I think the opinion that should ACTUALLY matter the most is the opinion of the guys in the cage. Kenny's opinion is valid, but I'd like to hear what Forrest and Al-Turk have to say about their own stoppages.

scpd400 » Posted 10/28/07 9:57:00PM

IMO Mazzagatti is a good ref. Has anyone seen Cecil Peoples ref. He sucks but sucks even more as a judge

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

Posted by Aether

I saw nothing wrong with either of the stoppages. The Al-turk fight could've ended a couple shots earlier, but it wasn't as bad as kenny and dana made it out to be. Both fighters were dazed but still conscious, and especially in a title fight, the champ should be given a reasonable chance to regain his composure.. I thought the Evans/Griffin fight was pretty much perfect.

I think the opinion that should ACTUALLY matter the most is the opinion of the guys in the cage. Kenny's opinion is valid, but I'd like to hear what Forrest and Al-Turk have to say about their own stoppages.

Agreed. Props on the way (if available)

Bobby-B-Bonkers » Posted 10/20/08 3:21:00PM

atleast Steve aint as bad as Herb

im2fast4u1981 » Posted 1/24/07 10:36:00PM

I agree with the last post....ive watched mma for over a decade...Herb Dean sucks.....He has had alot off bad calls....Mazzagatti isnt that bad....I also agree with the guy that said Peoples sucks as a ref....he is horrible

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

Sensei Cecil Peoples is a God amongst men. I will hear no ill spoken of him.

I'm Cecil Peoples... I'm sensei Cecil Peoples?!

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

I like late stoppages more than I like early stoppages and so do fighters. Anything said contradictory to that is political positioning to get legalized in more states.

[View Full Version of this Page]