MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
Making the case for Evan Tanner to be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

During a public Q&A last week at the Sports USA Bar in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, UFC President Dana White revealed that the promotion is expected to decide soon on which fighter will be inducted into its Hall of Fame.

LINK

Manfred » Posted 2/3/07 11:32:00AM

Not to be cold-hearted, but if he hadn't died, would he inducted? Probably not. At least not yet. We've had a ton of HoF threads on here and his name is barely ever mentioned.

We tend to over-memorialize. I liked Tanner and his death was sad, but JFK wasn't one of the best presidents either.

TheNatural915 » Posted 11/14/08 3:23:00PM

I can see your point, but don't look at his recent career, years back he was a great fighter and if you remember Tanner by those days then yes he should be inducted.

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

I've been saying he should be a HoF since long before he was dead (just check the history on these forums)

The guy has a ton of fights in the UFC, and he's got a pretty good record in those fights. He helped build the sport and he was a champion, so why not?

ohiostate1016 » Posted 9/20/07 12:33:00PM

Like the guy said in the article, Tanner is a throwback to the days when the sport was in its infancy.

Tanner wasn't the greatest person out there, but he knew to quit when he lost control of his life. I like Tanner because he's a man who did it his way, and he's a man who always gave everything he had in each and every fight. He'd fight Anderson Silva the same way that he'd fight Andy Wang, and he'd probably get destroyed by Anderson but would destroy Wang. But he'd be in there against Silva, and there is no way in hell that he'd give up.

I think that Dana realizes what a pioneer Evan Tanner was, and he realizes that if he doesn't recognize Tanner that it may never happen. I see the UFC as a class organization, and I think they'll make the best move here.

War Tanner.

Wallass » Posted 10/7/08 5:39:00PM

Not to be cold-hearted, but if he hadn't died, would he inducted? Probably not. At least not yet. We've had a ton of HoF threads on here and his name is barely ever mentioned.

We tend to over-memorialize. I liked Tanner and his death was sad, but JFK wasn't one of the best presidents either.

I completely disagree. Tanner would have and should have made the hall of fame whether he died or not. He was the Middleweight champ and one of the best, in his prime. I think most people think that because he lost his last two fights in the ufc, that he was overated but he definitely deserves to be in there. I mean come on, Ken Shamrock is.

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

Posted by Wallass

I completely disagree. Tanner would have and should have made the hall of fame whether he died or not. He was the Middleweight champ and one of the best, in his prime. I think most people think that because he lost his last two fights in the ufc, that he was overated but he definitely deserves to be in there. I mean come on, Ken Shamrock is.

im sorry but this is just a terrible argument. "he was overrated but he deserves to be there"???????, if hes overrated then why should he get in? and to say ken is there so evan should be is ludicrous, ken every bit deserves to be in the HoF he was the original american pioneer of the sport.

as far as my opinion, im with jackelope, ive been saying since before evan died that he should be the next hall member after miletich. im glad that the author mentioned his fight with minowa which was a huge win at the time, and also the fact that he was the first neo blood pancrase champ. an american going overseas and getting recognition in a sport that was much bigger there than here at the time is a trailblazing thing and that along with the fact that he was a UFC champ, had as many fights in the octagon as almost anyone, and was one of the early well rounded fighters are reasons why evan should get in.

Franklinfan47 » Posted 5/20/07 4:03:00PM

Tanner was awesome, but I don't think he should be the HOF personally. He held the title once and didn't even defend it that many times. Tanner should be commended for his warrior spirit, and his positive outlook on life and in the octagon, but lets be honest, if he hadn't of died I doubt anyone would have even considered putting him in there. I don't even think Rich Franklin has an automatic spot yet, and he crushed Tanner twice. I mean look at my name.

Hendo67 » Posted 11/18/08 1:59:00PM

I agree with what most people stated above, If he hadn't have died he would not be inducted this year at least.
The same thing happened with Eddie Guerrero in the WWE, he died...and that same year he was inducted into the hall of fame.

Evan will eventually be there, I just don't think it should be now...let a year or two pass. IMO

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Wallass

im sorry but this is just a terrible argument. "he was overrated but he deserves to be there"???????, if hes overrated then why should he get in? and to say ken is there so evan should be is ludicrous, ken every bit deserves to be in the HoF he was the original american pioneer of the sport.

as far as my opinion, im with jackelope, ive been saying since before evan died that he should be the next hall member after miletich. im glad that the author mentioned his fight with minowa which was a huge win at the time, and also the fact that he was the first neo blood pancrase champ. an american going overseas and getting recognition in a sport that was much bigger there than here at the time is a trailblazing thing and that along with the fact that he was a UFC champ, had as many fights in the octagon as almost anyone, and was one of the early well rounded fighters are reasons why evan should get in.

Another thing is the win over David Terrell. I know it may not seem much to a fan now, but for those watching back then it was a huge upset. David Terrell was supposed to be the new breed of fighter, and Tanner completely embarassed him out there. Just demolished him. That was a huge victory IMO

I just think based on number of fights in the UFC, having held a belt, and what he did for the sport should be enough. Record in those fights completely aside. To be completely honest I'm a bit offended that people think he wouldn't be mentioned if he hadn't of died.

Then again, my sig is a quote from Evan Tanner. So assume my nut huggery if you will

jiujitsufreak74 » Posted 9/24/07 7:28:00PM

If they vote tank in, then Tanner should without a doubt get in.

from 2000 to February of 2005, his UFC record was 8-2, with wins over Lawler Baroni (x2) and David Terrell and his only two losses were to Tito and Franklin.

i personally don't think he should be in the HoF, but it is close enough where i wouldn't mind if he was put in.

Wallass » Posted 10/7/08 5:39:00PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Wallass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude re read things. And dont quote me on stuff I never said. I never said he was overated I said people think that. In this day of "What have you done for me lately?" And yeah that Terrel fight was awesome. One of the best comebacks of all time. Dont get so offensive buddy.

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

well i wasnt trying to be offensive or defensive(i think thats what you meant). i reread your post and it still doesnt make sense to me. i dont know anyone that said "he was overated but he definitely deserves to be in there"(thats a direct quote), it just doesnt make sense at all, and thats what i was getting at.

telnights » Posted 6/21/07 4:17:00PM

For anyone to say Tanner shouldn't be in the HOF or wouldn't be considered if he wasn't dead wasn't around in the early days of MMA. Tanner was a great fighter and a trail blazer in the sport. Slashing elbows back in the day were called Tanner elbows for a reason. Tanner is deserving of being in the hall of fame and was long before he passed.

Wolfenstein » Posted 12/13/07 3:31:00AM

"Some people think he was overrated, but he definetely deserves to be there" I think that was the quote, when you take "some people think" out it sounds a little different lol.

I'm with Manfred on this one. Evan never really dominated in the UFC. Dan Severn (was dominant), Ken Shamrock (pioneer), Royce Gracie (dominant), Mark Coleman (dominant), Randy Couture (has beaten some of the best). You look at those guys in the UFC HOF and they were absolutely dominating the UFC for a time, except for Ken who was a pioneer and the first Super Fight Champion. Evan's accomplishments in the UFC just don't come close to rivaling the current HOF fighters.

I have great admiration for Evan, but I just don't believe that his accomplishments in the UFC stack up to the other HOF members.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]