MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Mixed Martial Arts Makes Its Way to High School   [View Full Version]
scoozna » Posted 1/25/07 12:53:00PM

WINCHESTER, Mass. — At the high school in this small, pretty and proper-looking town near Boston, a student was being choked by another student — with the school’s permission. Marcelo Siqueira, left, is a world-class competitor in martial arts who has been a guest instructor for Winchester High School's mixed martial arts club.

Just another meeting of the Winchester High mixed martial arts club, which may be the only of its kind in the country.

Article

jgtribbett » Posted 3/15/07 6:33:00PM

that is awsome

cmb19932 » Posted 6/4/08 11:29:00AM

guess where im moving ........i wish

rabbit915 » Posted 10/23/07 3:00:00PM

Its an interesting idea but i think youd be better off just doing it at a private gym. It says right in the article that they arent allowed to practice striking at a person just at pads. Thats going to seriously limit your ability to train effectively. You could get around all the legal red tape by just doing it with out getting the school involved.

Now a school run BJJ program, that i could see.

downs1418 » Posted 4/5/07 11:32:00AM

MMA has been taught as a PE elective for the past two years in Minden, LA. The kids are taught ju jitsu and striking (with pads of course). The first year, the class had about 10 kids. When the new year started, the class tripled in size to 30.

For those of you who argue about not having the proper training with pads, I think that you could not have kids openly spar with each other. Mothers would be appalled that their kids could get hit. Openly sparring would be lawsuit city with some overprotective, annoying dipstick of a mother suing a district for a little blood that came from her son's nose. The district would be forced to get rid of the program and then where would we be?

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

Kids can certainly learn from hitting pads, although I agree their learning will be limited. Still, free MMA through high school and then join a gym straight out of high school? If they had the right wrestling/jiu jitsu/striking training they could be ready to fight in a year on the amateur circuit.

Naturaldisaster » Posted 4/8/07 4:17:00PM

why couldnt my old school have somethin like that? maybe i would have actually worked hard to get good grades if they had a program like that.

Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

Posted by rabbit915

Its an interesting idea but i think youd be better off just doing it at a private gym. It says right in the article that they arent allowed to practice striking at a person just at pads. Thats going to seriously limit your ability to train effectively. You could get around all the legal red tape by just doing it with out getting the school involved.

Now a school run BJJ program, that i could see. [/QUOTE

The school I went to had a JJ program.

haggiswashere » Posted 7/30/07 3:48:00PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

why couldnt my old school have somethin like that? maybe i would have actually worked hard to get good grades if they had a program like that.

lol for real. I probably wouldn't have dropped out....

Pskinner_mma314 » Posted 8/2/08 4:16:00PM

Posted by downs1418

For those of you who argue about not having the proper training with pads, I think that you could not have kids openly spar with each other. Mothers would be appalled that their kids could get hit. Openly sparring would be lawsuit city with some overprotective, annoying dipstick of a mother suing a district for a little blood that came from her son's nose. The district would be forced to get rid of the program and then where would we be?

Took the words right outta my mouth

Pskinner_mma314 » Posted 8/2/08 4:16:00PM

I love the idea of this though, its pretty cool. At my high school, we didn't even have wrestling, which is probably why I have a figurative writers block when it comes to some of my training in mma. The problem I see though is a bunch of immature high school, hormone infested, punkass kids who just watched never back down would pick fights all the time at school and I think the program would be very short-lived at most schools, because of what was said before, overproctective mothers who flip out over a bloody nose.

[View Full Version of this Page]