MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
Maia calling out Bisping   [View Full Version]
nickcuc547 » Posted 1/27/07 12:52:00PM

While it won't happen I would still love to see this fight. While I admit I am a big Bisping apologist I think Maia will run through him. Maia has some of the best jiu jitsu I have ever seen if not the best. He locks in those submissions so quickly and doesn't have much trouble taking the fight to the ground. This guy is the next superstar in the mw division and we could see him with the belt around his waist after silva retires.

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

I don't know if it will be as easy as some might think. Bisping has excellent takedown defense, an incredible amount of cardio, and pretty crisp (although not very flashy) boxing. I think he would tool around Maia on the feet for the first bit and while he may eventually get taken down, he's proven to be pretty good at getting back up. He did well against Rashad and Hamill who are both pretty good wrestlers.

Still, like Joe said something to the effect of last night- "If Demian Maia gets you on the ground, it is death." <-- Not sure that's an exact quote, but it was something like that

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Yes Go Maia!

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

maia obviously wants to fight in a main event or co-main event and knows where the money is, and he called out a good guy to get that money and notoriety. unfortunately im not sure bisping is going to have another fight anytime soon with his TUF coaching coming up, so maia will have to settle for a leites or marquardt or someone along those lines for his next fight. still, maia is going to give a lot of people problems, and like someone said earlier, he might just be "the guy" after anderson hangs em up.

juanez13 » Posted 7/12/07 9:54:00PM

Posted by Jackelope

I don't know if it will be as easy as some might think. Bisping has excellent takedown defense, an incredible amount of cardio, and pretty crisp (although not very flashy) boxing. I think he would tool around Maia on the feet for the first bit and while he may eventually get taken down, he's proven to be pretty good at getting back up. He did well against Rashad and Hamill who are both pretty good wrestlers.

Still, like Joe said something to the effect of last night- "If Demian Maia gets you on the ground, it is death." <-- Not sure that's an exact quote, but it was something like that

He got taken down by McCarthy pretty easily, and almost got caught in an arm bar. Even if Maia cant take him down with a shot right away, he'll just pull guard and sweep him from there. Bisping is a good fighter, but i would most definitely pick Maia to win this fight.

The fight is possible, as Maia is now being thrown around as a possible coach on TUF 9 along side Bisping.

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Jackelope

He got taken down by McCarthy pretty easily, and almost got caught in an arm bar. Even if Maia cant take him down with a shot right away, he'll just pull guard and sweep him from there. Bisping is a good fighter, but i would most definitely pick Maia to win this fight.

The fight is possible, as Maia is now being thrown around as a possible coach on TUF 9 along side Bisping.

Don't get me wrong, bro.. I'm not saying Bisping will win. Or that Maia will win for that matter. I'm just saying it may not be as easy of a pick as some think. Bisping is a hard worker who usually comes in with a good game plan. Although he doesn't show it often he's somewhat savvy in BJJ, too.

wolfman » Posted 6/22/07 2:06:00PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Jackelope

Honestly, this was pretty much spot on what I was thinking. Really good points juanez13. Bisping will not get finished as quickly as Quarry, but I still see him getting finished at some point. I think he finishes Bisping late in the 2nd round.

higdon10 » Posted 7/6/07 2:00:00PM

I think hes gonna get Thales Leites next.

missypie » Posted 5/10/07 5:52:00PM

It just wouldn't make sense for him to be coaching the "U.S." team on TUF unfortunately. Another reason why the concept of U.S. vs. U.K. is not a good idea, it limits the coaching possibilities greatly.

Leites or Marquardt would make the most sense at this point with the winner of either match getting a title shot.

Khaos » Posted 6/27/07 8:20:00PM

If the fight happens, Maia will wear Bisping down on the ground and submit him in the third round.

RedCloud » Posted 10/4/07 12:22:00PM

No Matter what it will be a good fight.
Maia just wants the same love Bisping gets.
iIthink he deserves it.

Im still going nuts over the Dustin Hazelett Submission, Jeez Louise!

[View Full Version of this Page]