MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
Andre Gusmao vs. Antonio Mendes set for UFC 93 on Jan. 17   [View Full Version]
Purge » Posted 12/23/07 2:43:00PM

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/10/14/andre-gusmao-vs-antonio-mendes-set-for-ufc-93-on-jan-17/

UFC 93 on January 17 from the O2 in Dublin, Ireland is shaping up to be a showcase for light heavyweights. With headlining bouts between Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson (to be contested at 205 pounds) and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Mark Coleman already set, an intriguing clash at 205 between Andre Gusmao and Antonio Mendes has also been added to the card.

The news of Gusmao vs. Mendes at UFC 93 is according to a report in the Oct. 13 print edition of the Wrestling Observer.

Gusmao trains out of Renzo Gracie’s gym in New York and will look to redeem himself after suffering the first loss of his professional career in his UFC debut this past August at UFC 87.

Originally scheduled to face Tomasz Drwal, Gusmao was instead paired up on short notice with fellow-East Coast fighter Jon Jones, a true rookie to MMA who trains out of Team Bomb Squad.

Despite being heavily favored, Gusmao’s training in the Brazilian arts of jiu-jitsu and Capoeira proved to be no match for the athletic Jones, who walked away with a unanimous decision victory in an upset. The loss dropped the former IFL light heavyweight’s record to 5-1.

Like Gusmao, Mendes is both a native of Brazil and also coming off a loss in his UFC debut. His record fell to 15-3 after submitting to punches from Thiago Silva at 2:24 of round 1 at UFC 84 this past May.

Prior to signing with the UFC, Mendes made a name for himself Internationally competing for promotions such as Poland’s KSW and Russia’s M-1. His last win took place during an M-1 and MFC co-promotion in July of 2007 when he recorded a second round TKO over Kiril “Baby Fedor” Sidelnikov of Red Devil Fight Team fame.

It’s currently uncertain whether the Gusmao vs. Mendes matchup will be a part of UFC 93’s non-televised preliminary card or the televised main card.

Wolfenstein » Posted 12/13/07 3:31:00AM

Sounds like a great edition. Antonio Mendes looked like he had some awesome standup until he was taken down and mounted by Thiago Silva.

Andre didn't really look like the guy I saw fighting in the IFL. Hopefully he comes out of training camp this time around a little better prepared for the UFC jitters.

nickcuc547 » Posted 1/27/07 12:52:00PM

I was wondering where mendes went, he looked good against thiago silva, thought he was going to beat him for a minute. i think he beats gusmao, probably knocks him out.

Naturaldisaster » Posted 4/8/07 4:17:00PM

I was lookin forward to seein mendes fight again.

DevonFoxy » Posted 6/27/07 1:57:00PM

Gusmao looked like the illegal shots got to him mebbe? Idk it was frustrating seeing such a good fighter fight like that but I think nerves had alot to do with it. Im not giving up on him just yet and will be taking him by UD.

Fearless915 » Posted 9/2/08 12:57:00PM

I want to see Antonio Mendes fight he looked like he had some excellent power and I think he is just another edition to the light heavyweight division. I believe he will be pretty good as he starts to train for more high caliber players.

Nitrus » Posted 6/21/07 6:50:00PM

Antonio Mendes has serious skills in stand-up, if this fight keep on their feet, Mendes will take this one.

copcopps » Posted 4/4/08 4:46:00PM

Posted by Nitrus

Antonio Mendes has serious skills in stand-up, if this fight keep on their feet, Mendes will take this one.

higdon10 » Posted 7/6/07 2:00:00PM

Posted by Nitrus

[View Full Version of this Page]