MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Aleksander Calling For Barnett Rematch At Affliction 2   [View Full Version]
MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

Aleksander Emelianenko is calling for Josh Barnett to be his opponent when he fights for Affliction in January.

The Russian heavyweight spoke to Fighters Only on Saturday when he appeared in Nottingham for the UK leg of the M-1 Challenge tour.

Asked by Fighters Only editor-in-chief Ian ‘The Machine’ Freeman who he wanted to fight next, the Russian heavyweight said: “There is only one choice... Josh Barnett.”

Emelianenko and Barnett have some history, as they have fought each other once before in a PRIDE FC event that took place in 2006.

At first it was Emelianenko that had the edge as he pummelled Barnett around the ring, but the American was eventually able to force the fight to the floor and obtain a keylock submission.

LINK

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA » Posted 1/8/08 1:42:00AM

I dont think he liked how barnett called him out on the trash talking backstage at affliction 1 ,

CantAndleDaRiddum » Posted 12/14/07 5:25:00PM

a rmatch i'd love to see

make this happen!

Mchubb316 » Posted 2/14/07 2:00:00PM

I would love to see a rematch. As long as it stays standing, I like Aleks. If it goes to the ground again, I see something like the last time they fought happening.

Manfred » Posted 2/3/07 11:32:00AM

Alek's is ground game is under-rated. If he's in-shape and focused, he'll beat Barney in any position. He was fat and out of shape last time.

Either way, it's a much better fight than AE vs. headhunter

landstander » Posted 6/4/07 7:47:00AM

Barnett has the edge where ever it goes. Being the best American heavy weight, willing to fight anyone and always coming to fight, it surprises me that Barnett has such a such a small following.

Barnett by keylock again.

rabbit915 » Posted 10/23/07 3:00:00PM

Id pay to see that but i think id rather see both these guys versus Arlovski or Sylvia.

jocka » Posted 9/6/07 12:47:00PM

That would be an awsome fight but once again barnett would take this one. I do have a question has aleksander been cleared to fight in the US? Did he ever contract hepetitis or was that just a rumour?

The-Don » Posted 11/11/07 7:40:00PM

I was wondering the same thing... if it really was a passport issue or something and not the hep thing that would be great news.. getting Aleks and Fedor on the same card would be awesome

Branwest » Posted 7/14/07 1:42:00PM

Somebody please fill me in......I though he couldn't fight because he tested positive for Hep. Does that mean they'll still let him fight outside the country? Or was that not the reason he didn't fight in the last event? Forgive me, I haven't looked anything up about Aleksander.......

Manfred » Posted 2/3/07 11:32:00AM

Posted by Branwest

Somebody please fill me in......I though he couldn't fight because he tested positive for Hep. Does that mean they'll still let him fight outside the country? Or was that not the reason he didn't fight in the last event? Forgive me, I haven't looked anything up about Aleksander.......

According to the CSAC, he was pulled from the card due to medical reasons (which they can't disclose) and a CSAC rep said he will NEVER be able to fight in the US.

There were a lot rumors it was Hep B.

Aleks maintains that he was 2 days late to the US because his visa wasn't ready in time and he was denied because the paperwork was turned in late.

We shall see.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

I thought AA had the next shot at Barnett? It seems everyone wants a shot at Barnett, how about having Aleks fight Big Tim first. Then give him Barnett if he losses to AA, if not Barnett gets Fedor and the title shot.

MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

Posted by landstander

Barnett has the edge where ever it goes. Being the best American heavy weight, willing to fight anyone and always coming to fight, it surprises me that Barnett has such a such a small following.

Barnett by keylock again.

It's probably due to Barnett spending most of his career fighting in Japan.

He hasn't fought on home soil much at all really, so he's kind of gone unnoticed as MMA has exploded in popularity in these past couple of years.

HulkRage » Posted 9/4/07 1:38:00PM

I would love to see this fight, I think it would have much the same outcome. I would really like to see Aleks vs. Big Tim and Fedor vs. Barnett.

[View Full Version of this Page]