MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Gilbert Melendez mulls move to UFC   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

Former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez (14-2) made it clear at last weekend’s “Strikeforce at the Mansion II” event that he has plans to win back the 155-pound title he lost to Josh Thomson back in June.

The loss to “The Punk” was only the second in a 16-fight career for the Cesar Gracie-trained standout. The other was to Japanese standout Mitsuhiro Ishida this past New Year’s Eve.

As it turns out, Ishida now competes under the Strikeforce banner as well, giving Melendez the perfect opportunity to avenge the two losses.

LINK

Branwest » Posted 7/14/07 1:42:00PM

I would love to see Melendez in the UFC. I think he's definately a top-10 lightweight and could make some things intersting. I think after a couple of years fighting more top-level fighters, he'll either become more dangerous or fall off the MMA map, which I doubt. I think he'll continue to improve. He's a tough, smart, dangerous fighter that is fun to watch. I can think of some very intersting matchups, stylistically, if he were in the UFC.

juanez13 » Posted 7/12/07 9:54:00PM

I always thought Gilbert was overrated, I dont think he'll make a big mark in the UFC, but at least he'll bring excitement.

I'd like to see Thompson back in the UFC too.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

i think it would be good for gilbert
i hope he makes the move

CantAndleDaRiddum » Posted 12/14/07 5:25:00PM

Posted by juanez13

I always thought Gilbert was overrated, I dont think he'll make a big mark in the UFC, but at least he'll bring excitement.

same here juanez

i by no means think he sucks, but he is nowhere close to the top tier of lw division

jgtribbett » Posted 3/15/07 6:33:00PM

bring melendez on.. more talent for thep pool, meaning better fights for us

jiujitsufreak74 » Posted 9/24/07 7:28:00PM

Posted by juanez13

i agree, barely top 20 imo. although, i would like to see him in the UFC and he would shake things up just a bit.

and if the UFC brought back Thompson their LW division would be pretty damn solid.

ufc88 » Posted 7/15/07 2:11:00AM

cmon think of the matchups

gilbert vs. roger huerta
gilbert vs clay guida II
gilbert vs kenny florian
gilbert vs joe daddy
gilbert vs. joe lauzon
gilbert vs. josh neer
gilbert vs. rich clementi
gilbert vs. frankie egar

the list goes on

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

This is a great idea it will be nice to see where he fits in the lightweight division. I personally dont believe Gilbert is a top 10 lightweight but hell id love for him to prove me wrong.

xtra_chewy » Posted 5/17/07 3:16:00AM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by juanez13

same here juanez

i by no means think he sucks, but he is nowhere close to the top tier of lw division

Second or third that.? IMO Melendez couldnt take any of the UFC's top 10 LW's.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

Gilbert is very good but definately not top 10 IMO....just doesn't have the record of defeated known opponents to me. Other than Clay Guida, who has he beaten to deserve that top 10 rating?

casey64 » Posted 7/5/07 2:39:00PM

I hope he makes this move, I would love to see him in the UFC.

MALICE » Posted 9/17/07 10:04:00PM

I'll keep it going. I agree, he is definitely not a top 10 LW. But it would be interesting to see him in the UFC. His style would make for some interesting match-ups.

JimiMak » Posted 1/24/07 9:31:00PM

i think Gilbert's great and underrated. I think he'd do himself well to move to the UFC.

jiujitsufreak74 » Posted 9/24/07 7:28:00PM

Posted by xtra_chewy

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by juanez13

same here juanez

Second or third that.? IMO Melendez couldnt take any of the UFC's top 10 LW's.

i wouldn't go that far. imo he is barely top 20, which means he is still better than 3 or 4 of the UFC's top ten guys. the UFC LW division is not as deep as people tend to think it is, and Melendez has experience with a lot of high quality fighters (Ishida, Kawajiri, Thompson, Guida). i'd say he would lose to BJ, Florian, Guida (in a re-match), Joe Daddy, Sherk and Tyson. however, all of those matches would be close and entertaining (save for the BJ one) and he has a chance to prove me wrong. it is just that a lot of people in the MMA community dislike the fact that Gilbert got hyped up way too much after his win over Kawajiri. he is a good fighter, but he won't be a UFC champion.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]