MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Sources: EliteXC considering Lawler versus Villasenor for Nov. 8   [View Full Version]
Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

linkage

Despite EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler (16-4) stating he might take the remainder of the year off after a July victory over Scott Smith, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that Lawler may return as soon as November.

Sources close to the bout today revealed to that a rematch between Lawler and Joey Villasenor (26-6) is "pretty much a done deal" for EliteXC's Nov. 8 card. The event is scheduled for broadcast on premium-cable network Showtime.

EliteXC Vice-President Jared Shaw's recent comments to MMAjunkie.com would seem to confirm the possible match-up.

"Joe [Villasenor] will definitely be appearing sometime in the fall," Shaw said. "And he's definitely in line for a world title shot."

Although Villasenor recently lost the opportunity to fight in front of his hometown after the cancellation of EliteXC's Sept. 20 show in New Mexico, the Albuquerque-native may now have an opportunity for both a title and revenge.

Lawler and Villasenor have faced each other once before. In Oct. 2006 Lawler stunned Villasenor with a flying knee en route to a 22-second TKO victory. Villasenor recently told MMAjunkie.com he would love a second opportunity with Lawler.

"[Lawler] caught me with his first right, he dazed me, and the rest is history," Villasenor said. "Ever since that night I think about it and him all the time. ... I would really like the opportunity to compete against him again."

Lawler has won five-straight bouts and is currently WAMMA's fifth-ranked middleweight. The fight would be Lawler's third title defense in less than six months.

Lawler's potential early return to action could signal EliteXC's commitment to building momentum within the financially-burdened ProElite brand. Recent SEC filings have shown huge financial losses for the company.

With heavyweight champion Antonio Silva out following a drug-test failure and lightweight champion KJ Noons unwillingness to fight Nick Diaz, the company was in need of another title fight to market after their Oct. 4 CBS broadcast.

nickcuc547 » Posted 1/27/07 12:52:00PM

good decision if it happens, villasenor is a tough guy and it should be a close and entertaining fight. i gotta say lawler wins but it's going to be close.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

If Joey tries to bang with Lawler he's getting KTFOed!!!!! 2nd Round!!!

Bowen50 » Posted 6/21/07 12:42:00PM

Joey's got some HEAVY hands. this is a tough fight to call in my opinion. i might go with Joey. he has been very impressive in his last couple of preformances and he trains out of a great camp. don't be surprised if Lawler gets KTFO'd.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

lawler just seems unstoppable right now. but i think it will be a more exciting fight than the fight one, a good stand up war. Lawler round 3 tko or late round 2.

jocka » Posted 9/6/07 12:47:00PM

This is one guy that should be back in the UFC but oh well am just happy to see him fight again. Lawler Late 1st rd tko

tarantula » Posted 5/30/07 2:03:00PM

Yeah, Joey in the 2nd round with a rage of flurrys. remember how Diaz out boxed Lawler in the UFC? Scott Smith even had him wobbling in there first fight. Well Joey's hands are better than all of the above. And is damn ready for a title shot, and that flying knee.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

I just don't see Joey's chin holding out. He'll go to sleep just like last time, Lawler outboxed a lot of guys lately, including Ninja who was the last guy to KO Joey. MMAmath I know, but history does tend to repeat itself!

[View Full Version of this Page]