MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Tito Ortiz to Affliction MMA official   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz has officially ended his turbulent tenure with the most popular mixed martial arts promotion in the world, opting to sign with upstart Affliction MMA and reuniting with his on screen “boss,” Donald Trump, from the “Apprentice.”

No specific details of the contract were revealed at this time; however, the “Huntington Beach Bad Boy” told SportsIllustrated.com that deal is “like no other.”

Here’s a snip:

“I guarantee you that my contract will be like no other. It will be a ground-breaking record contract for sure, without a doubt. There’s so much money to be made right now in mixed martial arts and it’s all about the fighters trying to make that money. It’s going to be a long-term deal where I put my heart and soul into the company and help build them. That’s something I’m interested in doing. They’re going to bring me on, not just as a fighter but also doing some of the back work also.”

That “back work” likely includes an opportunity to somehow help grow the business behind the scenes. Ortiz — one of the most recognizable and controversial faces in the sport — has been a part of several of the top-grossing pay-per-view (PPV) events ever.

He can likely leverage that star power to contribute to the success of the promotion.

The interesting thing here is that Ortiz is clearly set to likely make a lot of money, which is not uncommon within Affliction MMA. For its first show, in fact, the promotion shelled out an astounding collective payroll that exceeded $3.3 million, cutting into any potential profit significantly.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

DiabloFreak56 » Posted 5/6/08 7:18:00PM

TITO VS BELFORT!!!!!

xphycorx » Posted 7/3/07 12:48:00AM

tito/babalu will be great. both are some of my favorite fighters of all time. depending on which babalu shows up will determine who wins the fight. if he fights like his last fight he'll probably win.

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

yeah they're definitely going to try to use him as a promotional tool. Smart move on their part. I'm guessing they're going to feed him a couple of fighters they know he can beat at first. Right now it's all about building up the interest in Affliction and Fedor being injured is really going to hurt them in that department so picking up Tito is a smart idea.

cmill21 » Posted 5/27/07 4:09:00PM

Fantastic signing. Guys always on tv, his gf is probably the most known girl of men ages 18-45 and he's definetly well known among all mma fans. I do not like Tito, but that guy sells tickets.

juanez13 » Posted 7/12/07 9:54:00PM

Posted by DiabloFreak56

TITO VS BELFORT!!!!!

IMO more like Tito vs Babalu, with Sobral calling him out + Vitor being a middleweight now i doubt it'll happen, and tbh i rather not see it happen, want Vitor to continue on his way to a success in the MW division and moving up would only side track him.

I'd say this is how Tito matches up in affliction->
1st fight-> Babalu
2nd fight-> If he wins he'll get Lil Nog
3rd fight-> Arona (hopeful thinking that Arona signs with Affliction)

juanez13 » Posted 7/12/07 9:54:00PM

Wonder how much they'll be paying Tito...I'm guessing once the numbers are released(after his first fight) it'll be something along 400-500k, but i'm sure he'll get something like 500k to 1mil as signing bonus.

If they dont draw big #'s in this next show they'll be in some big trouble, really hope Tito brings those numbers up.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

haha tito thinks he's going to get paid from affliction. ok so he might and help run the company down. Let's face it, I dont see ortiz as a top guy anymore. With the lack of depth in Affliction, ortiz won't beat babalu or lil nog. then nobody will want to see affliction throw lesser fighters at ortiz.

cmill21 » Posted 5/27/07 4:09:00PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

haha tito thinks he's going to get paid from affliction. ok so he might and help run the company down. Let's face it, I dont see ortiz as a top guy anymore. With the lack of depth in Affliction, ortiz won't beat babalu or lil nog. then nobody will want to see affliction throw lesser fighters at ortiz.

Casuals will want to see Tito beat up a can. Casuals is what Affliction is trying to draw now, they know how many hardcore fans they will get after their first card, now they want the big pull from casuals.

Mchubb316 » Posted 2/14/07 2:00:00PM

I also think Tito will fight Sobral. They seem to have some bad blood, with them talking about each other. They can hype this fight, you know Tito will market it up. I wonder if Tito will bring back some of his crazy entrances?

coldchillin » Posted 6/29/07 11:55:00AM

I think it's a great signing for Affliction, I can see Ortiz building up a lot of drama to the fight and making it real personal with Babalu. I'm looking forward to it.

so ortiz is going to fight whitehead or edwin. when babalu is calling him out. I dont think tito is going to take the fight against a can. Fans want to see ortiz in a big fight that will draw fans instead of affliction paying him a bunch of money to fight a can. Affliction needs to test ortiz and see if he is worth all the money. I dont think he will be.

loller90278 » Posted 1/16/07 3:05:00PM

well, if it's worth anything, i think whitehead can beat ortiz in a decision.

bigbubbano23 » Posted 10/26/07 10:31:00PM

affliction is only getting bigger. the ufc needs to step it up and pay thier fighters better. If they lose huerta thats it.

well fighters could be coming back to ufc, because the other orgs are having problems. Elitexc,affliction and dream.

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]