Who wins
Forum Opinion Poll
Cane 18 53%
Sokoudjou 16 47%

Luiz Cane vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou at UFC 89   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

link

Two light heavyweights will look to join a crowded list of contenders when Luiz Cane (8-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (5-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) meet at UFC 89.

The event takes place Oct. 18 at The NIA in Birmingham, England.

The UFC today confirmed a handful of fights, including the Cane-Sokoudjou bout.

Cane, a knockout artist well-versed in submissions, made his octagon debut at UFC 78. Although he was clearly in control of his fight with James Irvin, Cane suffered a disqualification loss after tagging his opponent with an illegal knee.

Cane returned in June at UFC 85 and posted a quick TKO victory over Jason Lambert. It was his seventh knockout victory in eight career wins.

Sokoudjou, meanwhile, will look to reclaim some of the magic he found in PRIDE. After upset victories of Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Ricardo Arona, the Team Quest fighter made his octagon debut at UFC 79 and suffered a second-round submission loss (via arm-triangle choke) to Lyoto Machida.

The loss knocked Sokoudjou out of many top-10 rankings, but he rebounded in May with a TKO of Kazuhiro Nakamura at UFC 84. Sokoudjou battered his opponent with leg kicks, and Nakamura was unable to answer the bell for the second round.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Cane really impressed me with the lambert fight, but I want Sokoudjou to win this fight. I think he can do it.

D0wnUnd6e6r » Posted 9/13/07 5:12:00PM

I'll take Soko in this one.

juanez13 » Posted 7/12/07 9:54:00PM

If Soko stays standing Cane has a decent chance of getting the win. good match up, should be an exciting match.

gsquat » Posted 11/15/07 5:00:00PM

Cane's abilities are lesser known, which will make him an underdog. But thats ok. Soko is in trouble on the feet with this guy. I think I'm gonna have to go with Cane.

billycarnage » Posted 7/30/07 3:23:00PM

Cane is a great striker I was also very impressed. I think he will have a good chance standing with Soko. He has got the reach he is acurate and has KO power thats a combo very few fighters have (Liddell, Anderson Silva, Mike Swick, etc.) I like Cane in this one. He'll deliver the upset.

MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

My pick will be Cane also.

I'm not convinced by Soko yet and think Luis will exploit the holes in his game

Ordep » Posted 7/8/07 9:23:00PM

My pick : Cane

I'm glad they're not giving him Shogun just because he called it looking for a shortcut, let him fight and win to earn contender status in such a stacked division.

MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

Posted by Ordep

I'm glad they're not giving him Shogun just because he called it looking for a shortcut, let him fight and win to earn contender status in such a stacked division.

Agreed

Taylor8766 » Posted 6/24/07 5:32:00PM

Sokoudjou, is gunna win easy first rd ko, he's too strong for Cane, and alot quicker

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

wow, great match-up im confused.

loller90278 » Posted 1/16/07 3:05:00PM

is this like a #1 contenders match to fight shogun?

hard call to fight, but i'll take soko by SD

SweetTooth » Posted 7/15/08 2:56:00PM

Cane is gonna do well in The UFC.

Mchubb316 » Posted 2/14/07 2:00:00PM

Cane is good. Soko has not impressed me since joining the UFC. I like Soko, but think he will have trouble with Cane.

gsquat » Posted 11/15/07 5:00:00PM

Posted by Ordep

you got it.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]