MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Vera to fight Reese Andy on July 19th   [View Full Version]
grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Anderson Silva is about to make the jump.

The UFC middleweight champion has accepted an invitation to move up to the light heavyweight division for a bout with James Irvin at an impromptu UFC event July 19 in Las Vegas. Heavyweight prospect Brandon Vera has also agreed to make a move in the opposite direction -- he'll face former International Fight League rep Reese Andy in a co-featured bout at 205 pounds, multiple sources have confirmed to Sherdog.com.

The event, which is being assembled on five weeks' notice, will air live on Spike TV the same night that Affliction Entertainment hosts its first pay-per-view card, "Banned," at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Link

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

isnt wandy supposed to be fighting Thiago or Machida on this card as well?

Mayhem13 » Posted 6/28/07 1:10:00AM

Wanderlei was supposed to face Vera, but turned it down due to lack of time for training.

Vera takes this by TKO in the 2nd

juanez13 » Posted 7/12/07 9:54:00PM

Posted by Pookie

isnt wandy supposed to be fighting Thiago or Machida on this card as well?

No, he was offered a fight with Vera, but didnt take it because of insufficient time to prepare for the fight... But IMO i think is better for him not to take that offer...

Anyways, this event could actually be interesnting. Defenately Affliction has the better card, but this might work on taking away the casual fans away from Affliction.

Sir_Karl » Posted 9/7/07 9:27:00PM

I am watching both!

Wolfenstein » Posted 12/13/07 3:31:00AM

Wow, I'm shocked Anderson is going to fight one of the best strikers at 205lbs (Irvin). Reese against Vera...a little less exciting. You can't really fault the matchup as it is impromptu but I would have thought a top tier LHW would have stepped up.

The UFC is really trying to take out Affliction from the get-go. At the same time you can see why competition is so important. It makes for better fights, the UFC could probably make a lot more shows on free TV.

roman » Posted 1/28/07 5:06:00PM

You should change your title to Silva-Irvin because that is the bigger news here. Should be very very interesting considering the Sandmans heavy heavy hands. I am now really pumped for this last minute sabotage. I am still definitley getting Affliction though. Fedor-Big Tim is a super fight and the rest of the card is extremely impressive.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by roman

You should change your title to Silva-Irvin because that is the bigger news here. Should be very very interesting considering the Sandmans heavy heavy hands. I am now really pumped for this last minute sabotage. I am still definitley getting Affliction though. Fedor-Big Tim is a super fight and the rest of the card is extremely impressive.

You are correct. Silva-Irvin is bigger news, but that match was already reported. I posted this particular article because Vera's opponent had yet to be named.

lordicast » Posted 7/4/07 7:45:00PM

Posted by luke420187

Wow, I'm shocked Anderson is going to fight one of the best strikers at 205lbs (Irvin). Reese against Vera...a little less exciting. You can't really fault the matchup as it is impromptu but I would have thought a top tier LHW would have stepped up.

The UFC is really trying to take out Affliction from the get-go. At the same time you can see why competition is so important. It makes for better fights, the UFC could probably make a lot more shows on free TV.

Dude Irving is not a good striker watch that fight against hector ramirez he is so-so. while silva is perfection.

Silva 1RD KO 00:34

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Vera is in a must win situation.

MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

people are losing patience with him...

Mchubb316 » Posted 2/14/07 2:00:00PM

I think Anderson destroys Irvin, and Vera beats Reese rather easily. I think it is a good effort for the UFC to steal people away from Affliction, but will not do as well as they think. I will watch both, thank god for DVR. Hoperully the UFC makes this card stacked so they will compete a little with Affliction.

CornishMMA » Posted 2/27/07 10:43:00AM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

people are losing patience with him...

Errm WTF i could not disagree with you both anymore and im quite confused as to what you mean mmacca

Can you try and justify that cos i find it too easy to tear apart

Vera started off 4-0 in the UFC with consecutive KO wins against good HW fighters, so what if he broke his hand and couldnt fight at 100% against Sylvia, and then barely loses a 2nd fight .......................... LOL are you guys seriously saying that means he HAS to win this fight and ppl are losing patience, WTF is with that?!!!! How is 4-2 in the UFC terrible???

jgtribbett » Posted 3/15/07 6:33:00PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I am watching both!

yes.. metoo

rabbit915 » Posted 10/23/07 3:00:00PM

I think its odd that in his first fight at 205, they put Vera against a guy who fights at HW regularly. Wouldnt you just put it at HW then?

[View Full Version of this Page]