MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Drew Fickett fiasco puts Elite XC title fight against Jake Shields in doubt   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

Drew Fickett and Jake Shields were supposed to hook ‘em up at “Return of the King” this past weekend to crown the first-ever 170-pound champion for the mixed martial arts promotion.

However, Fickett had to withdraw from the June 14 fight because of an alleged injury, postponing the bout for the second time (an injury to Shields was the reason for the first cancellation).

This where things get a little funny.

It seems the injury to Fickett’s knee — his reason for bowing out of the fight against Shields at the Hawaii show — wasn’t as bad as he originally thought.

At least not severe enough to keep him from fighting on June 7.

Apparently “The Master” — without Pro Elite’s knowledge — competed in local a Rage in the Cage 111 event one week prior to the Elite XC show, submitting Jeff Horlacher with a first round guillotine.

So here’s the question: How can a fighter be fit enough to fight on June 7, but not June 14?

Even if Fickett thought he could defeat Horlacher at less than 100 percent it still makes no sense. Or, perhaps he felt his non-exclusive contract meant he was just free to fight whoever and wherever without telling anybody.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

wolfman » Posted 6/22/07 2:06:00PM

This fight is never going to happen.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

prolly cus fickett knew jake was going to beat him down.

Frost_777 » Posted 5/19/08 4:52:00PM

Ya i think this was a really stupid idea from fickett no matter the reason, i hope this fight does happen but it doesn't seem likely :(

Jesse_Canadian_MMA » Posted 1/11/08 5:48:00PM

shields all the way anyway.

misses1112 » Posted 9/1/07 1:19:00AM

Posted by wolfman

This fight is never going to happen.

LOL, THANK YOU!!!

is it still cool to scream "night rider" over and over again...

oh, my bad that was never cool!!!

jimmypockets » Posted 1/16/07 1:27:00AM

Yeah I could really care less. Shields is on his way up and Fickett is fighting dudes named Horlacher. In my eyes Fickett is the only one losing out in this deal.

XB Live Gamertags- J1mMy PoCkEtS, Th3 Barncat

Mchubb316 » Posted 2/14/07 2:00:00PM

Do they strip him of the belt, and find Shields an opponent and have them fight for the vacant title, and make Fickett win a couple of fights before giving him a shot at the title? There has to be some sort of penalty for this. I would say book the fight for there July show and if Fickett can't fight, then have Shields, and someone else fight for a vacant belt.

On a serious note, did Drew ever find his sombrero?

xtra_chewy » Posted 5/17/07 3:16:00AM

yes, and your Black Keys av is nice too jimmypockets

???

xtra_chewy » Posted 5/17/07 3:16:00AM

jimmypockets...av is nice, too...?

holt8081 » Posted 6/25/07 12:06:00AM

Drew Fickett wow I almost forgot about that guy........oh wait no I did forget about that guy.

gartface » Posted 7/29/07 7:00:00PM

I think he has a great shot of beating Jake Shields if this fight ever goes down.

DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

Posted by Mchubb316

Do they strip him of the belt, and find Shields an opponent and have them fight for the vacant title, and make Fickett win a couple of fights before giving him a shot at the title? There has to be some sort of penalty for this. I would say book the fight for there July show and if Fickett can't fight, then have Shields, and someone else fight for a vacant belt.

The article on Mania says Shields will fight on the 7/26 EXC event (next CBS Saturday card). Opponent TBA but they're talking about Nick Thompson and IFL Welterweight Champion Jay Hieron.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]