MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
WWE's Bobby Lashley signs with American Fight League   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
CantAndleDaRiddum » Posted 12/14/07 5:25:00PM

Former World Wrestling Entertainment performer and decorated amateur wrestler Bobby Lashley is the latest signing for the Kentucky-based American Fight League.

A source close to the 31-year-old told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Lashley will be introduced as an AFL signee -- perhaps the organization's biggest to date -- during tonight's "Bulletproof" show at Phillips Arena in Atlanta.

Rumors of Lashley's possible transition into MMA heated up over the past month, but few expected such a high-profile figure to sign with an organization so new to the national scene.

AFL officials declined to comment today, but one executive said some "major signings" will be announced at tonight's show, which features a main event between AFL lightweight champ and former UFC fighter Diego Saraiva.

Terms of Lashley's contract aren't known, but it's expected to be a non-exclusive deal.

Lashley, a two-time NAIA national wrestling champion while at Missouri Valley College, also won two armed-forces titles while serving in the U.S. Army. He signed with the WWE in 2003 and debuted with the organization in 2005. His character won titles in both the WWE and Extreme Championship Wrestling organizations.http://mmajunkie.com/news/4460/wwes-bobby-lashley-signs-with-american-fight-league.mma

chubbud22 » Posted 1/22/07 5:21:00PM

Lashly vs Lesner LMAO. That would be some good stuff

CantAndleDaRiddum » Posted 12/14/07 5:25:00PM

Posted by chubbud22

Lashly vs Lesner LMAO. That would be some good stuff

it'd b the 1st legit fight between pro wrestlers i've ever seen

bigbubbano23 » Posted 10/26/07 10:31:00PM

ah i hope he signs with ufc after he gets a few good wins.

Mchubb316 » Posted 2/14/07 2:00:00PM

I wonder who Lashley is training with. Brock had some good people to train with when he was making the transition. No doubt Lashley will be strong, and have good wrestling.

ohiostate1016 » Posted 9/20/07 12:33:00PM

I've never heard of American Fight League. And I doubt that I'm the only one.

gartface » Posted 7/29/07 7:00:00PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

It's weird, because my brother who is not very knowledgeable about MMA called me today saying he got front row tickets at work for the American Fight League event tonight. I had no idea what it was, and I was pretty shocked to see it on the front page here.

And for Lashley vs. Lesnar...isn't Lashley back down to 170?

thatfedorsohotrightnow » Posted 2/13/07 6:18:00PM

"His character won titles in both the WWE and Extreme Championship Wrestling organizations"

Well, he must be a good young MMA prospect then. Yawn

Raykill » Posted 4/2/08 11:29:00AM

Thats cool, I think this guy could do some damage.

chubbud22 » Posted 1/22/07 5:21:00PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by ohiostate1016

It's weird, because my brother who is not very knowledgeable about MMA called me today saying he got front row tickets at work for the American Fight League event tonight. I had no idea what it was, and I was pretty shocked to see it on the front page here.

And for Lashley vs. Lesnar...isn't Lashley back down to 170?

I have no idea bro; I did not know Lashley cut weight, or anything. If he is 170 he will be strong for his weight class.

CornishMMA » Posted 2/27/07 10:43:00AM

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

"His character won titles in both the WWE and Extreme Championship Wrestling organizations"

knew there would be 1 hater, i get the joke but its just padding and general info to the article, people really shouldnt be snobby about guys from WWE etc making it in mma, they are wrestlers, which is the best base for mma impo, i wouldnt be surprised to see this guy do well

juanez13 » Posted 7/12/07 9:54:00PM

Posted by CornishMMA

knew there would be 1 hater, i get the joke but its just padding and general info to the article, people really shouldnt be snobby about guys from WWE etc making it in mma, they are wrestlers, which is the best base for mma impo, i wouldnt be surprised to see this guy do well

My yawn had more to do with the fact Lashley is almost 32. Don't see his background and age translating well. Also, the size he wrestled at in college was radically different from his WWE days.

Also he will be fighting 100% pure cans in a promotion I have never heard of. That equals yawn.

I don't hate on Lesnar or Kimbo. I hate on a case by case basis.

Posted by CornishMMA

I am a hater for not caring about an actor coming to a small promotion?

My problem with listing "titles won" in WWE is that it makes it sound like it is an accomplishment in sports. It is not. The focus should be on Lashley's real credentials.

whardin19 » Posted 7/25/07 9:08:00PM

Good to hear. I've heard in many articles he is taking this very seriously. After some good wins in the AFL he could have a ticket to the UFC next. Down the road Lashley vs. Lesnar could be a cash cow. Can't wait to see what he can do in MMA.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]