MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
The 25 Toughest Athletes (w/ 2 faces you might recognize)   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Let's start a barroom argument. Who are the toughest athletes in sports? Well, hang on a second. How do you define tough? The ability to take and deliver a shot or ten? To play hurt and still play well? The utter refusal to give in to pressure, circumstance, or more physically imposing foe? To dominate one's opponents or even one's sport? How about the ability to overcome serious personal setbacks, such as a dire injury or illness, and return to the highest level of performance? How about sheer longevity in a punishing, demanding game?

We've considered all of those things while sorting through long lists of worthy candidates. Our Top 25 (in order, says us) contains some surprising choices. We've also put together a list of current notables in the four major pro sports and a photo gallery of the greatest old school toughs -- legends who are no longer active, surely to the relief of their beleaguered foes.

Link

Although my list would look a little different , I think this is a huge step for MMA.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

What, no love for Andy Wang?!

PS...WAR BOB SANDERS!

babytater03 » Posted 8/28/07 10:32:00AM

if that list is in order...imao that is seriously skewed for making the #1 Tiger Woods. I mean really. OTHER than golf, wtf is he tough at? Making a TON of money? (Bring on the haters, doesn't hurt me any)

Sports Illustrated.

7 out of 10 for your "Toughest Athletes".

D0wnUnd6e6r » Posted 9/13/07 5:12:00PM

not a big tennis fan or anything but I don't understand how they came up with having Nadal in there and not Federer (don't even like either of em' , just common sense)

nastshabast » Posted 5/24/07 1:04:00AM

WAR CHARA!!!!!

Red-Dragon » Posted 6/23/07 8:48:00AM

Should be relabelled as toughest 25 athletes in the world who compete in sports watched by America. When will they accept that the world is a far larger place than the USA.

An example to make my point is the amount of American Footballers there were. Note that there was not one Rugby player and Rugby is more or less the same thing but without the padded protection . They were a huge suit of protective armour so how any American Footballer can be considered tough is behond me

Also why Pavlik and not Calzaghe?

As said in a previous post why Nadal and not Federor?

krthll1 » Posted 8/13/07 9:09:00PM

Posted by babytater03

if that list is in order...imao that is seriously skewed for making the #1 Tiger Woods. I mean really. OTHER than golf, wtf is he tough at? Making a TON of money? (Bring on the haters, doesn't hurt me any)

Sports Illustrated.

Dude Tiger woods should be #1 because he has golfed with bad cases of food poisoning and not to mention he dominates more than anderson silva does. And thats saying a lot.

CactusBob » Posted 11/28/07 2:47:00PM

Posted by krthll1

Posted by babytater03

Sports Illustrated.

Dude Tiger woods should be #1 because he has golfed with bad cases of food poisoning and not to mention he dominates more than anderson silva does. And thats saying a lot.

He dominates...at golf. I don't consider Golf a sport, nor to I consider one who golfs to be an athlete. I hate sports illustrated anyway...

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Should be relabelled as toughest 25 athletes in the world who compete in sports watched by America. When will they accept that the world is a far larger place than the USA.

An example to make my point is the amount of American Footballers there were. Note that there was not one Rugby player and Rugby is more or less the same thing but without the padded protection . They were a huge suit of protective armour so how any American Footballer can be considered tough is behond me

seriously how can they not include a rugby player let alone havin most of the list with them on it. iv played a shitload of sports and rugby is easly the most physically demandin

krthll1 » Posted 8/13/07 9:09:00PM

Posted by CactusBob

Posted by krthll1

Posted by babytater03

Sports Illustrated.

He dominates...at golf. I don't consider Golf a sport, nor to I consider one who golfs to be an athlete. I hate sports illustrated anyway...

Golf is a recognized sport. By most people is this country so that ends that. Plus you look at tiger woods and tell me he is not an athlete. Plus lets have some one go to work with food poisoning. Hardly anyone works with food poisoning.

Red-Dragon » Posted 6/23/07 8:48:00AM

Posted by Manak

Posted by Red-Dragon

seriously how can they not include a rugby player let alone havin most of the list with them on it. iv played a shitload of sports and rugby is easly the most physically demandin

Right On Bruvva

Jackelope » Posted 1/30/07 10:59:00AM

When you're talking about TOUGHNESS I don't think domination of the sport should be involved. I think it should be about how TOUGH someone is.

Their old school list is much better. Guys like Dick Butkus, Rulon Gardner, Lance Armstrong. Not dudes who puked a couple times on a golf course and kept golfing. Hell, 50% of the golfers I know puke every time they play just from beer drinking

Posted by Jackelope

When you're talking about TOUGHNESS I don't think domination of the sport should be involved. I think it should be about how TOUGH someone is.

Their old school list is much better. Guys like Dick Butkus, Rulon Gardner, Lance Armstrong. Not dudes who puked a couple times on a golf course and kept golfing. Hell, 50% of the golfers I know puke every time they play just from beer drinking

I agree...they're comparing feeling a little queasy to getting punched in the face.

jiujitsufreak74 » Posted 9/24/07 7:28:00PM

this is HUGE for MMA. i am so happy that 2 of the top 10 were from MMA. i disagree with Fedor's defining moment but i am still glad to see MMA get represented. man, this made my day

and for tiger woods...i have to say Golf...yes Golf...out of all the sports has the most pressure in it. i can honestly say i believe golf is the sport with the most intangible factors to overcome and to dominate the sport for so long and overcoming those intangibles is toughness to me. i probably wouldn't rank him as number one but the list was well done in general. again...i am psyched that both Anderson and Fedor were in the top 10...Anderson was in the top 3 for crying out loud!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]