MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Exclusive: Eddie Alvarez to fight Andre Dida in first round of DREAM lightweight Grand Prix   [View Full Version]
juanez13 » Posted 7/12/07 9:54:00PM

Eddie Alvarez confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com (www.FiveOuncesOfPain.com) on Thursday afternoon that he has signed a contract to participate in DREAM’s lightweight Grand Prix.

"The fight is 100 percent,” began Alvarez. “I just got a call from my manager, Monte Cox, everything is underway. Everything is approved and I will be heading over there (Japan) on the 10th to fight in the lightweight Grand Prix. I’m excited.”

"Monte (Cox) talked it over with EliteXC and EliteXC was happy to work with DREAM,” Alvarez responded when asked if special permission was needed to compete in a tournament that could require Alvarez to fight on three separate DREAM shows. “I’m sure they want to do business with them in the future so I’m sure they are more than happy to lend me over and let me do the fight.”

WOW!

The tournament, which features many of the world’s top lightweights, now includes:

LW GP 1st Round Fights:
J.Z. Calvan vs. Shinya Aoki
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Black Mamba
Kazuyuki Miyata vs. Luis Buscape
Koutetsu Boku vs. Joachim Hansen
Eddie alvarez vs Andre dida

plus ................
Mitsuhiro Ishida
Caol Uno
Gilbert Melendez
Artur Oumakhanov
Jung Bukyung

ufc88 » Posted 7/15/07 2:11:00AM

Gil Melendez is not in the tourny anymore he wants to focus on one project at a time according to his interview on tagg radio. He wants to defend his strikeforce title but Masvidal dropped out.

Him wanting to finish this project gives the impression he wants to goto the ufc

babalu2720 » Posted 2/1/07 8:55:00PM

Nice, Alvarez is an exciting up and coming fighter, this will finally give him well deserved exposure, but I don't know if he is ready at this point to beat Dida.

loller90278 » Posted 1/16/07 3:05:00PM

im glad pro-elite and dream are working together -- that could only result in good things happening!

this is a good test for both fighters, an under appreciated alvarez against an unknown (to most) andre dida. if they both put on a good showing, they shouldn't hang their heads

wolfman » Posted 6/22/07 2:06:00PM

Damn, this card is looking pretty GODLY.

CornishMMA » Posted 2/27/07 10:43:00AM

Posted by wolfman

Damn, this card is looking pretty GODLY.

That it is, we thought we would get a LW tourney like this just before PRIDE was sold, its been a long wait but i think it will end up being worth a while, so many great fights but i still think JZ will blitz Aoki, striking beats BJJ sometimes is all

Vietnamese_Guy » Posted 1/24/07 3:17:00PM

this card makes me want to cry, and to think i might get it free on HDNET

[View Full Version of this Page]