MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Gomi and UFC Deal Falls through   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
DevonFoxy » Posted 6/27/07 1:57:00PM

Link

FiveOuncesOfPain.com first became aware of the story when a source close to Frankie Edgar revealed that the lightweight contender had been offered and accepted a potential bout vs. Gomi. The fight fell through after the UFC was unable to secure a contract with PRIDE’s final reigning lightweight champion.

There is no word as to why a deal with Gomi was unable to be completed and whether there’s a chance that talks between both sides will resume in the future.

ocho-cinco » Posted 5/16/07 12:40:00PM

I thought Dana promised us all the best fighters in the world?

quezocrema0032 » Posted 7/15/07 12:46:00AM

i would have picked edgar on the upset ... Edgar is the future of the 155 pound divsion ... all be it he wouldnt have stopped Gomi but a decsion win would have been impresive

TimW001 » Posted 3/30/07 6:31:00PM

^ Same.

And I really want Gomi in the UFC.

Mackavelli » Posted 1/25/07 5:04:00PM

No surprise there. Gomi is one of the biggest draws in Japan and a lightweight theres no way the UFC would have paid enough to sign him. Same with kid. Unless the UFC goes to japan again theyre not gonna get the top japanese guys.

Mayhem13 » Posted 6/28/07 1:10:00AM

I would have loved to see that fight, I would probably pick Edgar to win a decision via strength/wrestling...and just controlling the fight...but you can never count Gomi out with his hands...he could KO any LW out there if he catches em

NineDuce » Posted 1/26/08 4:51:00PM

what a shocker gomi dosnt wanna lose another fight

candynuts » Posted 12/6/07 1:36:00PM

Id go with Gomi. Edgar doesnt really have the submission game to beat him, and Gomi's standup is better.

C'mon Gomi get in the UFC already!

Kracker_Jap » Posted 12/27/07 9:23:00PM

Posted by ocho-cinco

He tried......

But not a big surprise that another top pride title holder that just so happens to ranked #1 on mma weekly turns down the chance to prove his ranking

Manfred » Posted 2/3/07 11:32:00AM

Posted by ocho-cinco

Dana specifically has mentioined getting Gomi even months before the PRIDE buyout. Wonder what kind of clauses were in HIS contract?

cloppio » Posted 7/6/07 1:18:00AM

bummer

jomatty » Posted 7/13/07 9:07:00AM

once again the consensus seems to be that the ufc has made a fair offer and another overrated fighter has decided to act unreasonably. am i the only one that thinks this might not be the whole story?

Styles » Posted 9/13/07 6:01:00PM

Gomi would get destroyed by the top 5 guys in the UFC... anyone who thinks differently obviously dont know the way things work all that well. UFC dont need Gomi nor is it a wise investment. Let Gomi's career float up ***** creek.

Now Kid on the other hand, that is someone that Zuffa needs to get ahold of. Yamamoto/Faber sounds better then Fedor/Couture.

THE_DRiZzLE » Posted 6/18/07 5:01:00AM

Posted by jomatty

once again the consensus seems to be that the ufc has made a fair offer and another overrated fighter has decided to act unreasonably. am i the only one that thinks this might not be the whole story?

you are not alone.. i feel there is more than meets the eye you could say..

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

why am i not surprised that once again dana has not been able to seal the deal, even without gomi the lightweight division is already stacked, the ufc will sign some names not as big as fedor or gomi, but i think by the end of the year we will see some more pride guys i hope mark hunt would sign

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]