MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Randy Couture Picks Tim Sylvia Over Antonio Noguiera   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Randy Couture is, legally speaking, the UFC heavyweight champion. He recently declined an invitation to fight Antonio Noguiera however, stating that he has resigned from the UFC and wished to pursue a fight with consensus number one heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko. He has since battled UFC management in an intense, and very public war of words; and now faces a potential legal battle as well.

The latest spat between Couture and the UFC has to do with Couture's work as a cornerman at events held by organizations such as the IFL and HCF.

Couture has appearently recieved word from UFC officials that making appearences at such organizations is a breach of contract. Couture sat down with The Calgary Sun to discuss the situation in more detail and also weighted in on the upcoming battle between Noguiera and his replacement at UFC 81, Tim Sylvia.

Link

Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

I'm taking Sylvia as well but it's gonna be a good fight IMO.

tuvok500 » Posted 6/21/07 3:07:00PM

I am still going with Nog !!

Sylvia was on his back for 5 rd against Couture and now suddently he is hard to takedown ???

Funny !!

scoozna » Posted 1/25/07 12:53:00PM

Posted by tuvok500

Sylvia was on his back for 5 rd against Couture and now suddently he is hard to takedown ???

Funny !!

Well, if you read the article, it was Randy himself saying he was hard to take down. I'd be surprised if you though Nog's wrestling/takedowns is as good as Randy's.

Posted by scoozna

Posted by tuvok500

Funny !!

Well, if you read the article, it was Randy himself saying he was hard to take down. I'd be surprised if you though Nog's wrestling/takedowns is as good as Randy's.

Yeah, i know, Couture told that Sylvia was hard to takedown but he was able to take him down for 5 rd non stop, i mean, even if Couture is a better wrestler than Nog the point is that Sylvia is not that hard to takedown, even the small Vera with a broken hand took him down in rd 2 i think, of course he was unable to do some damage or to improve his position but Nog will be able to improve position and to keep Sylvia on the ground . Well, i hope !!

silverbullet » Posted 5/28/07 3:41:00PM

Posted by tuvok500

Funny !!

Couture is (used to be) an Olympic-level wrestler, and Vera is a really solid collegiate-level wrestler. Big Nog is not a wrestler at all. Vera got 1 TD on Sylvia if I recall correctly. Nog will have trouble taking this fight to the ground and if he does, I doubt he will be able to sub Tim very easily.

I'm a Sylvia fan so my vision is clouded, but I think he has a good chances against Big Nog.

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by tuvok500

Funny !!

Couture is (used to be) an Olympic-level wrestler, and Vera is a really solid collegiate-level wrestler. Big Nog is not a wrestler at all. Vera got 1 TD on Sylvia if I recall correctly. Nog will have trouble taking this fight to the ground and if he does, I doubt he will be able to sub Tim very easily.

I'm a Sylvia fan so my vision is clouded, but I think he has a good chances against Big Nog.

I agree , Sylvia's chance are good, i know that.

But basically, a lot of peoples seem to believe that if you are not a wrestler you can not take Sylvia down, i mean Monson was a top wrestler and he did not do so well but Mir and AA are not top wresler and they beated Tim anyways, it is MMA not Wrestling.

And Nog have a lot of experience, i like his chance in a 5 rd fight with a cage to pin down your opponent when he is on the ground.

I like Tim , i was having him winner against Vera and other fight but i think Nog will be ready and will have the tools to beat him.

cmill21 » Posted 5/27/07 4:09:00PM

Lol you guys are questioning nogs ability to find a way to win? Tim has nothing in any area of skill over the Cro Cop that nog fought, besides sub defense(still not that great). Nog endured more punishment in multiple fights then Tim can dish out with his jab, and IMHO Nog is a better boxer. I think Nog has more ways to win, and if he makes it to the ground(I think he will) he'll sub tim relatively quick.

Vietnamese_Guy » Posted 1/24/07 3:17:00PM

nog by outboxing the crap out of sylvia

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

damm it, couture hasnt been wrong in pickin fights he did call GG over CC and alot of other figths but i still think nog has it because i feel he beats tim in every skill other than size and can take a beating but tim is still good and has a legitimate chance winnin the beat. nog 4 rd sub

cmill21 » Posted 5/27/07 4:09:00PM

Coutures record has a ton of missed picks on it, people just focus on the few upsets that he picked right.

kerazzle » Posted 2/17/07 4:21:00PM

CC is probably harder to takedown than Sylvia and Nog found a way. He only took him down once but th at was all he needed. Im not convinced of Sylvia's groundgame either.

D0wnUnd6e6r » Posted 9/13/07 5:12:00PM

Meh...he's wrong

wolfman » Posted 6/22/07 2:06:00PM

I don't know about you guys, but I have a bad feeling Tim is going to win another boring UD. I am picking him to win that way, I just don't see Nog being able to submit him. Don't get me wrong, Nog is clearly a seasoned veteran who has been in a lot of tough wars and clearly has the ability to sub him. Yet, I just don't see it happening.

Ordep » Posted 7/8/07 9:23:00PM

no takedown? then flying gogoplata

anyway.... Nog by Sub. or Decision

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]