MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Off Topic > Off Topic
What to watch during the television writers' strike...   [View Full Version]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

The strike is just about over! The union's expected to approve a new contract Tuesday which will have writers back at work Wednesday. Let's enjoy the 4 months of upcoming labor peace because SAG (Screen Actors' Guild) has to go through it in June when their contract's up.

Brick » Posted 1/30/07 8:53:00PM

Don't get too attached to BG. Because of the writers strike, they aren't showing the entire last season this Spring like they had planned. They only filmed 10 episodes with the rest to be shown in 2009 -- if ever. They may not even finish the series now because of the writers strike. Damn it.

hippysmacker » Posted 1/15/07 9:10:00PM

I also like Terminator: the Sarah Connor chronicles.
I have a rule that I won't watch a brand new show for 4 episodes. i just Tivo it and if it gets cancelled, I never got a chance to get into it, and get pissed when its cancelled. I made this rule after Smith and The Black Donnelys both got cancelled. 2 awesome shows that prove the network execs are hippys in need of a smacking. Anyway,I couldn't wait and watched the premeier and Tvoed the next 5. watched them all Monday,and I think it's great.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

AchillesHeel » Posted 2/3/07 10:04:00AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I also like Terminator: the Sarah Connor chronicles.

I'm still on the fence about this one, both in terms of how good it is and in terms of whether it will get canceled prematurely.

I imagine the "stoic warrior" must be a difficult archetype to write a character-driven drama around, and a television show can't just be nonstop action the way a movie like Terminator or T2 can. Sarah resists being fleshed out as a 3-dimensional character too quickly. If she suddenly became less sullen and paranoid and single-minded in her mission to protect John, it would destroy all credibility (which is why they had to destroy her relationship with her boyfriend so quickly). Blade: The Series had the same problem; they actually introduced a whole new character who was easier to write than Blade, and she essentially became the main character of the show.

In Sarah Connor, John is the obvious choice to become the locus of the show, but I just don't find him all that compelling. I actually think the FBI agent and Sarah's ex, the paramedic, are more charismatic and interesting than John is. The last episode had Sarah shoving the paramedic out the door of her life, but I hope he sticks around and gets into trouble.

The teenage-babe-Terminator is more of plot device than a character ("sometimes they go bad; no one knows why"), although there's a lot of room for the old Pinocchio thing; exploring what it means to be human, etc, like Data in Star Trek: The Next Generation. And of course she's a perfect device for any random acts of carnage they want to throw in. This is The Terminator, after all... it can't be all character development...

AchillesHeel » Posted 2/3/07 10:04:00AM

Posted by Brick

Don't get too attached to BG. Because of the writers strike, they aren't showing the entire last season this Spring like they had planned. They only filmed 10 episodes with the rest to be shown in 2009 -- if ever. They may not even finish the series now because of the writers strike. Damn it.

Hrm. Yeah, I'm a little nervous. Keeping my fingers crossed, I guess.

DCRage » Posted 8/3/07 12:38:00PM

The strike is finally over as of a week ago, so Hollywood is slowly but surely getting back to work. I'm happy because some of my favorite shows (namely My Name Is Earl and The Big Bang Theory) will be back with more episodes this season an da couple already got picked up for next season. It'll be at least a week or so before the new contract kicks in, assuming it was ratified by the full union (I think it was).

Pages: 1 2 [3]

[View Full Version of this Page]