MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Weak Paydays   [View Full Version]
grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Since one of the biggest names of the UFC, Randy Couture, walked away from the his belt last month, citing UFC president Dana White's inability to provide a little respect and a big Russian (Fedor Emelianenko, the only man the 44-year-old Couture wants to fight at this stage of his career) the MMA world has been buzzing. About respect and Russians, sure. But mostly about money.

Link

xburbx » Posted 6/21/07 5:17:00PM

Dana runs a business. He doesnt owe anyone anything. This is not a government run program where handouts are everywhere. Why would he pay employees more money than he has to? It doesnt make any business sense to give more money especially if guys continue to fight for low pay. The only time it will impact the UFC is if guys actually turn down fights at the mid to low fight levels because of pay. Even then it would have to be on a mass scale. Top level fighters wont turn down fights because they will always come to an agreement. Randi Couture is just an idiot. I blame the fighters who continue to fight and then go on to complain. I dont see any chains holding them in the ring. Nick Diaz bitched about Mayweather making so much money and how fighters should be show cased like boxers and make that kind of money. I am sure at some point they will be, but it is in the UFC's best financial interest to make that a very slow climb to get to that point. If everyone was paid in the millions to fight the UFC would have to start looking for more investors.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by xburbx

Randi Couture is just an idiot. I blame the fighters who continue to fight and then go on to complain. I dont see any chains holding them in the ring.

These are contradicting statements. He was the only one to actually walk away, rather than just stay and complain.

gspgnp » Posted 5/23/07 11:15:00AM

I'm tired of hearing people bitch about money. Randy is one of my heroes but I don't want to hear it from him either! Either fight for pride or get the f*** out of here! Money should not be an issue, especially if you are a multi millionaire. I have no pity for millionaires bitching about money,(just like the writer's strike.) Love the sport and what you are doing or quit! It's as simple as that! I know fighters deserve their fair share but it is Zuffa that is taking ALL of the risk by putting their capital investment on the line. The fighters have guaranteed paydays. Does the Zuffa have guaranteed PPV sales and ticket sales, I don't think so. The fact of the matter is that this is a business and if there is no profits in it for them, then we would not get to see any fight cards and then the fighters and us would really have something to complain about!

Darnok » Posted 9/10/07 6:37:00PM

Posted by gspgnp

I'm tired of hearing people bitch about money. Randy is one of my heroes but I don't want to hear it from him either! Either fight for pride or get the f*** out of here! Money should not be an issue, especially if you are a multi millionaire. I have no pity for millionaires bitching about money,(just like the writer's strike.) Love the sport and what you are doing or quit! It's as simple as that! I know fighters deserve their fair share but it is Zuffa that is taking ALL of the risk by putting their capital investment on the line. The fighters have guaranteed paydays. Does the Zuffa have guaranteed PPV sales and ticket sales, I don't think so. The fact of the matter is that this is a business and if there is no profits in it for them, then we would not get to see any fight cards and then the fighters and us would really have something to complain about!

Excellent point!

And just to add a bit more to your comments. As I have said before if the UFC pays the top fighter the same way they do in bowing 10 to 20 million. Than the UFC will become like boxing. There will be only one good fight per show and the rest will be crap bacause they cant afford to pay anybody else.

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

UFC is still to young to be givin out that kind of money to fighters, the profits comin in would not make up for the paydays, most of the tops fighters make 6 fig plus bounses along with sponsors they r livin pretty good plus all the perks they gets (despite what ppl think ufc does take care of it's fighter from my veiw), the ufc is not boxin, nfl, mlb, or nba. those sprots have been around forever just ask ppl who is tom brady and who is fedor? MMA is lookin long term to get estblished, then the paydays come.

gspgnp » Posted 5/23/07 11:15:00AM

Posted by Darnok

Excellent point!

And just to add a bit more to your comments. As I have said before if the UFC pays the top fighter the same way they do in bowing 10 to 20 million. Than the UFC will become like boxing. There will be only one good fight per show and the rest will be crap bacause they cant afford to pay anybody else.

Good point! I don't want to see one super fight followed by what resembles the undercard of a Cage Rage card.

stickyhash421 » Posted 11/15/07 5:05:00PM

Posted by grappler0000

Since one of the biggest names of the UFC, Randy Couture, walked away from the his belt last month, citing UFC president Dana White's inability to provide a little respect and a big Russian (Fedor Emelianenko, the only man the 44-year-old Couture wants to fight at this stage of his career) the MMA world has been buzzing. About respect and Russians, sure. But mostly about money.

Link

who gives a s--- its not like mma is a well paying job unless your well known and then you get fame syndrom and expect more and more and more, just more greedy idiots we dont need to see, if they really liked to fight than it wouldnt matter, the fighters i want to see just want to fight and beat the best, if moneys an issue, just freakin walk away.

xburbx » Posted 6/21/07 5:17:00PM

In my statement above I was talking about the mid - low level fighters that bitch and continue to fight not top fighters like Randi because usually at those top levels it never gets to a point that Randi got to. The reason is because there is a ton more money and fighters at that level really dont have much to bitch about. Sorry if the comments seemed to not make sense, I should have made more of a separation between my statements.

CornishMMA » Posted 2/27/07 10:43:00AM

Posted by xburbx

Dana runs a business. He doesnt owe anyone anything. This is not a government run program where handouts are everywhere. Why would he pay employees more money than he has to? etc etc etc

yes, but, the fertitas bought the ufc cos they love the sport, it wasnt to make big money, they can still make big money and pay the fighters a decent wage so they dont have to go and do crappy jobs when they are 40 odd and cant fight anymore!

[View Full Version of this Page]