Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kazuhiro Nakamura @ UFC 76...

Print  
Posted By Message

Kastro

Standup Guy

Kastro Avatar

Career:474-316
Camp: The Tactical Underground
Chips:
He will be fighting Machida, personally I am surprised that nobody is talking about this bout...

I was surprised to see on the wagers that Kazuhiro is a big underdog, Machida no doubt is good and undefeated but Kazuhiro has faced a much higher level of opponents IMO...

Kazuhiro took Shogun to a close decision, he got a split decision with Nog, he went in there and fought against Josh Barnett, he absolutely dismantled Kevin Randleman, and he stood toe to toe with Wandy and fared pretty well despite tripping up in his own gi, Kazuhiro Nakamura is very underrated and IMO is going to hand Machida his first loss...

If you want a good wager for saturday this is it, the house on Nakamura!

Post #1   9/20/07 8:22:05PM   

Kastro

Standup Guy

Kastro Avatar

Career:474-316
Camp: The Tactical Underground
Chips:
Oh yah Nakamura by submission rd 3..

Post #2   9/20/07 8:23:09PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,621-1,406
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Yeah I'm with you on this , Kazu by UD or late Knock Out

PROPS FOR YOU

Post #3   9/20/07 8:32:39PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by Kastro

Kazuhiro took Shogun to a close decision, he got a split decision with Nog, he went in there and fought against Josh Barnett, he absolutely dismantled Kevin Randleman, and he stood toe to toe with Wandy and fared pretty well despite tripping up in his own gi, Kazuhiro Nakamura is very underrated and IMO is going to hand Machida his first loss...

Kazuhiro wasn't exactly beating Silva, but the end came a lot faster when he threw his Gi off, lunged and Silva then got tagged!

I'm glad you didn't include Kazu's win over Vovchanchyn on there. That was a terrible fight. If it had stayed standing Igor would have KO'd him so easily, but for some reason Igor kept going for the takedown, if he was standing and Kazu was on the ground, rather than having the ref stand Kazu back up he pounced on him and tried to get more GnP in. I have no idea why when Igor came down to 205lbs he got the idea he was a ground fighter and not a kickboxer. Who the hell was giving him those crap game plans? Kazuhiro is pretty good on the ground, but his hands are less than steller. It baffles me when I try to figure out why Igor thought that he had the advantage on the ground. It turned out to be a bust of a fight that Kazuhiro won by unanimous decision, when Igor could have taken it if he wanted too. Kazuhiro won because Igor kept making stupid mistakes. Kazu did little damage, less than Igor inflicted, but won because he had was passing guard, transitioning allover the place, whereas Igor was just clumsy on the ground. So dissapointing!

I still think Kazuhiro might win this one, I'll have to go and check my picks.

Post #4   9/21/07 9:24:39AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I can't figure out why there isn't more buzz about this fight either??? It's two top 15 arguably top10 LHW's fighting... How often have we seen that?

The fights tough for me to pick though... I like both fighters, and as I'm sure some will say, this fight has the potential of being on the slow side... But I think Nak'll take it in the end...

Post #5   9/21/07 11:06:29AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Probably because it's 2 Japanese guys well-versed in karate and martial arts, which on paper makes it sound a little boring because they don't sound like brawlers, GNPers, or "Im'a gonna whoop that guy" type fighters. It might be too scientific for those who want blood. Naturally that makes me interested in it.
For the record, I got Machida making Nakamura tap in round 2.

Post #6   9/21/07 11:52:07AM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I have seen a couple threads on this fight but I dont think there is a whole lot of talking going on about it because both guys are very highly respected i would say...most of the time threads are made saying Forrest is a can, or Jardine shouldnt be in with Liddell.

But this a matchup of two fighters who deserve to be in a high profile match, and for many people at the playground, i would say we consider this a high profile match. There is no controversy or "pre-fight hype" surrounding this cause both men just go in a do their job.

I believe Machida is taking this fight, maybe by UD, I havent really decided, but I think he is taking it.

Post #7   9/21/07 12:21:23PM   

posterboy

Learning to Sprawl

posterboy Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: UFCJunkie.com
Chips:
I'm glad you mentioned this.

Nakamura is a very tough guy and I think the current odds reflect people's ignorance of his skills and background. He, like the guy fighting Matt Wiman, comes out of Yoshida's judo school and these guys are not to be underestimated in terms of toughness, cardio and skills. The fact that he relies on his striking (in addition to his excellent submissions skills) tells you something.

I think this fight goes to decision with Nakamura edging it out. Based on Machida's last few fights (all of which went to decision) this result makes sense to me.

BTW, look for Wiman's fight to end similarly.

Post #8   9/21/07 12:41:27PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
i think this is going be a pretty good fight but, not one that id like to see, but i will watch it for sure because i love fights

Post #9   9/21/07 2:15:11PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by posterboy

Nakamura is a very tough guy and I think the current odds reflect people's ignorance of his skills and background. He, like the guy fighting Matt Wiman, comes out of Yoshida's judo school and these guys are not to be underestimated in terms of toughness, cardio and skills. The fact that he relies on his striking (in addition to his excellent submissions skills) tells you something.

Well, I somewhat agree with you, but I am keeping my mouth shut.

I picked Machida over Nakamura, but it was a tough call. I basically flipped a coin and put it to SD.

I picked Omigawa over Wiman though.

Post #10   9/21/07 3:04:34PM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Probably because it's 2 Japanese guys well-versed in karate and martial arts, which on paper makes it sound a little boring because they don't sound like brawlers, GNPers, or "Im'a gonna whoop that guy" type fighters. It might be too scientific for those who want blood. Naturally that makes me interested in it.

Lyoto is of half Japanese decent and half Brazilian, but was born in Brazil.

I think the main reason there isn't much buzz about this fight is most fans haven't seen either fighter. Lyoto has been in the UFC, but all of his fight have been prelims, and obviously Nakamura was a Pride fighter.

This is my fight of the night. I think it is the most evenly matched contest on the card. Their styles also make for an interesting fight. Nakamura will push Lyoto, so his counter punching style won't be as boring as usual. I am really undecided who will win. I took the odds on Nakamura for the betting part, but picked Machida for the game. I think the differince maker will be how good Lyoto is on the ground. It has been said his BJJ is just as good if not better than his stand up, but he hasn't had to show thus far in his carreer.

Last edited 9/21/07 9:46PM server time by johny_rotten
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   9/21/07 9:45:49PM   

taz3423

Learning to Sprawl

Career:1,911-1,115
Chips:
I'm just excited this has made it to the televised portion of the event. I was real afraid it wasn't going to make it. Machida's fights so far in the UFC has been real lackluster in terms of excitement. But he clearly dominated every aspect of each fight, barely getting hit even.

Nakamura is one of the better fighters no one seems to talk about. he is tough as nails and can take a ton of punishment. He is also a world class judoka. I think this has potential to be a great fight or a bore fest. I dont see a middle ground.

I got Machida by UD just based on his ability to hit and run...I don't mean that as a knock on Machida either I think he fights a certain way and it works well, It's just not very entertaining in the slightest.

Post #12   9/21/07 10:52:01PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Really? I was under the impression Machida was Brazilian. I think Machida's going to take it, probly by UD. He's a very good counter striker and knows what to do when he's on his back.

Post #13   9/21/07 10:58:55PM