Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Fate Or Future Of The IFL

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Speculation on the financial health of the International Fight League is rampant. Depending on the source, the first-of-its-kind mixed martial arts team-based league is either on the verge of collapse or thriving. The problem with such speculation is that almost none of it is rooted in fact. But required financial documents filed last month by the IFL shows that it might have as little as 6 months left to live right now.

Article

I think they're doing some good things and they've made some right moves, but they've probably gone too far forward too fast in other areas, and it's resulted in them taking on more than they can handle. Hopefully they can still turn the ship around as it seems they have time to, if done properly they can still become a viable competitor to UFC for a nice slice of the MMA pie.

Post #1   9/20/07 9:11:14AM   

adamal

MMA Regular

adamal Avatar

Career:67-40
Chips:
Man I really hope they can stay in business. I really like the IFL and like that it is on TV so much. Chris Hordecki is one of my ten favorite fighters and the legends matches are cool. I also kinda like the team thing. It would also be a shame to see people like Pat Militich, and Ken Shamrock (even though I don't particularly like him) wihthout a prominent place in MMA on Television since I see IFL as the second most visible promotion to UFC on TV.

Post #2   9/20/07 9:47:01AM   

creativedestruction

MMA Regular

creativedestruction Avatar

Career:1,846-927
Chips:
They dont even air their events live, do they? There are so many things that I dont like about the IFL, I dont even know where to start..

Post #3   9/20/07 10:33:02AM   

EddieBowers

MMA Regular

EddieBowers Avatar

Career:126-96
Camp: TX Ground and Pound
Chips:
They are shown on FSN from what I know, they might be on a bit of a delay.

Post #4   9/20/07 11:00:28AM   

creativedestruction

MMA Regular

Chips:
I would really like to see the Rothwell-Ricco fight. I heard it wont even be shown live.

Post #5   9/20/07 11:35:02AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
The FSN broadcasts are usually taped. They'll air the IFL Finals in the next couple days before it airs on MyNetworkTV next week.

Post #6   9/20/07 12:01:32PM   

woodmo

MMA Regular

Career:488-255
Chips:
They are a publicly traded company. If you take a look at their balance sheet, it is not a pretty picture.

Post #7   9/20/07 12:53:17PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,207-1,505
Chips:
I hope the IFL can keep it together. I have been a fan from the start.
They have some great fighters, have had some great fights and rivalries etc.
I believe the main problem is the team format.
MMA it is a unique individual sport that doesn't translate well to a team sport.
They need individual, recognizable champions.
Lose the team format...the fans want champions and title fights.
With their Grand Prix tournament coming up soon it would be a shame to lose them...just as it is going to get good. They may have waited too long.
Hopefully it's not too late.
The announcers and commentary could be better...even though Bas Ruttan is unintentionally pretty funny.
They could use some televised live events...MMA is much more exciting live.
Last but not least...lose the ring please...cages are where it's at.
Pro wrestling is the only "sport" that should utilize a ring...even the dead horse that is called boxing doesn't really need a ring.
With a few changes the IFL could the next big thing.

Post #8   9/20/07 1:21:42PM   

creativedestruction

MMA Regular

Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I hope the IFL can keep it together. I have been a fan from the start.
They have some great fighters, have had some great fights and rivalries etc.
I believe the main problem is the team format.
MMA it is a unique individual sport that doesn't translate well to a team sport.
They need individual, recognizable champions.
Lose the team format...the fans want champions and title fights.
With their Grand Prix tournament coming up soon it would be a shame to lose them...just as it is going to get good. They may have waited too long.
Hopefully it's not too late.
The announcers and commentary could be better...even though Bas Ruttan is unintentionally pretty funny.
They could use some televised live events...MMA is much more exciting live.
Last but not least...lose the ring please...cages are where it's at.
Pro wrestling is the only "sport" that should utilize a ring...even the dead horse that is called boxing doesn't really need a ring.
With a few changes the IFL could the next big thing.

Good post. There needs to be some distinction, like you said. They even all wear the same shorts. The ring has to go. They need elbows. No live events is just dumb..

Btw, I'm near Oswego.

Post #9   9/20/07 1:46:20PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,207-1,505
Chips:
Agree and thanks!!

Post #10   9/20/07 7:12:30PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
i dont know where to watch the ifl if i did i would watch it alot

Post #11   9/21/07 12:08:09AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
I just found and posted here another story from last night-Kurt Angle now claims he and IFL can make a deal. Very intriguing, but if I'm IFL I do not take this chance now. He likely wouldn't be ready for over a year and given his wrestling background and name recognition it would be easy to overpay severely for him, which could cripple IFL's finances to the point of beyond repair. Seems to me of a case where the negatives would outweigh the positives for IFL.

Post #12   9/21/07 6:41:35AM