Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Leben

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Sheddy

MMA Regular

Sheddy Avatar

Career:95-42
Chips:
I thought he looked good.
I picked him to finish off Terry in the 3rd.

Terry may have gotten cocky, but tough shit.
You gotta win the fight.
If you rock someone, like he did Leben just before getting ktfo, you gotta follow up instead of throwing your arms up.

Post #16   9/20/07 10:14:58AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Posted by pharside

wow I'm not sure what fight some you guys watched but Leben looked really good to me here what sherdog pbp thought

Chris Leben (Pictures) vs. Terry Martin (Pictures)
Round 1
Leben kicks at the legs while Martin rushes in with a jab and right hands. Martin drops down a level and takes Leben to the canvas with a double-leg takedown. Now back on their feet, Martin lands with a left and a right. Leben answers with two knees to the chin. Leben looks to be the more refined striker but Martin has an obvious power advantage. Herb Dean takes a point from Leben for gripping the fence while Martin attempted to throw him to the floor. Leben gets busy with strikes and briefly lights Martin up with a right hand. Leben stomps the feet before the horn sounds. Close round. 9-9 for Leben (point deduction).

Round 2
Martin looks fatigued in the second. Leben attacks the legs and goes back to foot stomps from the clinch. Just when it looked as if Leben was close to putting it together, Martin scored with a takedown. Leben fires elbows to the head from the bottom. Triangle is applied from Leben, but he runs out of time. 10-9 for Leben.

Round 3
Martin starts to score in the third. He clinches and delivers some knees to the head. Martin crushes the body and follows with a right hand to the chin. Leben answers. Martin is completely gassed but he musters enough energy to sloppily tackle the TUF veteran. Lebe, now equally tired, eats two left hands. Leben tries to trip Martin but the Chicagoan stuffs it and takes the top position. Martin stands. Left hand staggers Leben. Unbelievable ... Leben digs deep and knocks Martin out with a left hand. The time is 3:56 of the final round.

now name 9 better MW's in the UFC

Not in any order
1-Silva
2-Franklin
3-Starnes
4-Macdonald
5-Marquardt
6-Okami
7-Grove
8-Cote
9-Kampmann
10-Lietes
11-McFedries
12-Tanner(maybe coming back)
13-Terrell
14-Herman

Post #17   9/20/07 10:41:01AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by thepunisher

Posted by pharside

wow I'm not sure what fight some you guys watched but Leben looked really good to me here what sherdog pbp thought

Round 1
Leben kicks at the legs while Martin rushes in with a jab and right hands. Martin drops down a level and takes Leben to the canvas with a double-leg takedown. Now back on their feet, Martin lands with a left and a right. Leben answers with two knees to the chin. Leben looks to be the more refined striker but Martin has an obvious power advantage. Herb Dean takes a point from Leben for gripping the fence while Martin attempted to throw him to the floor. Leben gets busy with strikes and briefly lights Martin up with a right hand. Leben stomps the feet before the horn sounds. Close round. 9-9 for Leben (point deduction).

Round 2
Martin looks fatigued in the second. Leben attacks the legs and goes back to foot stomps from the clinch. Just when it looked as if Leben was close to putting it together, Martin scored with a takedown. Leben fires elbows to the head from the bottom. Triangle is applied from Leben, but he runs out of time. 10-9 for Leben.

Round 3
Martin starts to score in the third. He clinches and delivers some knees to the head. Martin crushes the body and follows with a right hand to the chin. Leben answers. Martin is completely gassed but he musters enough energy to sloppily tackle the TUF veteran. Lebe, now equally tired, eats two left hands. Leben tries to trip Martin but the Chicagoan stuffs it and takes the top position. Martin stands. Left hand staggers Leben. Unbelievable ... Leben digs deep and knocks Martin out with a left hand. The time is 3:56 of the final round.

Not in any order
1-Silva
2-Franklin
3-Starnes
4-Macdonald
5-Marquardt
6-Okami
7-Grove
8-Cote
9-Kampmann
10-Lietes
11-McFedries
13-Terrell
14-Herman

now name 9 fighters who ARENT better than Leben..... .....good luck

Post #18   9/20/07 10:46:58AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by thepunisher

Posted by pharside

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Not in any order
1-Silva
2-Franklin
3-Starnes
4-Macdonald
5-Marquardt
6-Okami
7-Grove
8-Cote
9-Kampmann
10-Lietes
11-McFedries
13-Terrell
14-Herman

I agree as well lol

Post #19   9/20/07 11:07:09AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
[

that is tough

1-Abbadi
2-Rivera
3-Sell
4-Quarry
5-Martin
6-Dewes
7-Riggs
8-Lutter
9-Shonie

Post #20   9/20/07 11:47:19AM   

pharside

MMA Regular

pharside Avatar

Career:346-216
Chips:

Posted by thepunisher

Posted by pharside

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Not in any order
1-Silva
2-Franklin
3-Starnes
4-Macdonald
5-Marquardt
6-Okami
7-Grove
8-Cote
9-Kampmann
10-Lietes
11-McFedries
13-Terrell
14-Herman

You listed guys Leben's beat before, his best friend and guys that aren't in the UFC and a guy who have't fought in years great list.

Post #21   9/20/07 11:59:06AM   

fightfann

Learning to Sprawl

fightfann Avatar

Career:270-186
Camp: Los Banditos Guapos
Chips:
exactly. top ten all of a sudden? people have gone crazy.

He showed a large improvement, in that he was more patient and didn't throw everything he had with every punch. he was still gassed at the end of the fight though. Leben's biggest strength last night was still the same strength he had before, he is really hard to knock out, but obviously you put him up against people with precise, great strking (A. Silva, etc.) and he is going to get hammered. Leben did show some submission skills though, which we hadn't really seen much before.

Post #22   9/20/07 1:58:33PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
the guy looked much more focused and in control than ive seen him in the past, so id say all in all he seems to have improved. that being said hes a gatekeeper no more no less, and he can make for an exciting fight whether hes taking or giving the damage.
i wouldnt be at all surprised to see him in ICON for his next fight, now that hes the head trainer there it just makes sense, but who knows this wn might get him a new ufc deal.

Post #23   9/20/07 2:06:23PM   

pharside

MMA Regular

pharside Avatar

Career:346-216
Chips:
I think he and Robbie could get a good pay day in Icon and make for a great fight.

Post #24   9/20/07 6:53:37PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
The best part is that Leben said that is the best shape he's been in in his life!!! If thats the best hes been then he might as well retire now....

Post #25   9/20/07 8:59:47PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by thepunisher

[

that is tough

1-Abbadi
2-Rivera
3-Sell
4-Quarry
5-Martin
6-Dewes
7-Riggs
8-Lutter
9-Shonie

Riggs and Quarry would wipe the floor with Leben.

Post #26   9/20/07 10:12:00PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
I started the thread simply to state that Leben is growing and maturing as a fighter. I dont think he's in the top ten and I never said he was. I think he'll continue to improve and maybe someday he will be but not anytime soon.

Post #27   9/20/07 10:20:41PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
Yea ill give Leben one thing he looks like genius for taking the fight with Terry now. I mean he knocked him out when he contract is up and Martin was on his tear and pushing for title shot and Leben threw a wrench into Martins plan. No one is talking about how he traded Swick for Martin (though Swick ended up injured.) He comes out smelling like a rose. I think he looked a lot better then i remember him looking but i still think he has a long long long ways to go. I really wonder though what would of happened if he did in fact fight Swick.

Post #28   9/20/07 10:28:05PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:992-648
Chips:

Posted by loonytnt

leben did great and got me a won imo in the UFC leben is top 10

That is why it is YOUR oppinion and not EVERYONE's !!!

Post #29   9/20/07 10:40:45PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
He didnt look his best but he is seriously improving from the past four fights, which have been a bad time in his career. Im glad to see he willing to change up his fight camp, style and conditioning to make it in the UFC and it still makes him one of my favorite fighters. I mean, did you guys see how cut he was compared to past fights! thats a improvemnt in itself, I only see give getting more toned and skilled in the cage as he gets more fights, he can make it back up the middleweight ladder if he gives it his all and can become a contender in that weight division

Thank goodness for the revival of a new and better Leben.

Post #30   9/20/07 11:11:08PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3