Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Leben

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
Chris Leben is a totally different fighter. He learned from his losses and now is much more mature, patient, and crafty. Leben used to come into fights looking to brawl. Now in the Martin fight he was attempting submissions, didn't rush any of his striking, and was in the best shape we've ever seen him.
He also resorted to his old style by reacting to being hit by hitting back. Instead to retreating when he was rocked, Leben pushed forward and it won him the fight. He has a new training camp and moved to Hawaii and it's working for him. He did have the point deducted but Martin was looking for a big slam and Leben reacted quickly. Sure Chris looked tired in the 3rd but he proved he is always dangerous. I'm not even a big Chris Leben fan but I was very impressed and could see a change and improvement from the Leben we previoulsy saw.
I heard he trained with Nate Quarry before the fight and his striking looked similiar to Nate's style, very methodical, and technical. Chris also used some knees which I've never seem him work the clinch that way. In the post fight interview he spoke with more maturity instead of talking about partying.

Leben seems really focused on his MMA game and that can only mean he will be a force to be reckon with at middleweight.

Post #1   9/20/07 12:43:14AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
leben did great and got me a won imo in the UFC leben is top 10

Post #2   9/20/07 12:46:38AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
You guys are nuts! Top 10? Lordy. The man almost lost the fight! His only saving grace was Terry's cocky attitude. Was he patient? Yes, I will give Leben that, but he still stuck with is same old style of banging, hoping for one to land. I am fairly confident, if he fights the same way, that he will lose his next bout.

Post #3   9/20/07 12:53:58AM   

guru_of_grapple

Learning to Sprawl

guru_of_grapple Avatar

Career:590-333
Camp: Southern Maryland Crip Academy
Chips:
I think Leben looked to be in much better shape than I've ever seen him. He was gassed in the 3rd, but this was also a pretty tough fight. When you're getting hit by a guy like Martin (not to mention having him lean you against the cage like that), it's going to gas you a lot quicker. He showed a lot of heart and patience, while still having the killer instinct to take Martin out when he was in trouble. I think Leben's gradually gotten a lot better since getting KTFO'd by Silva. He looked good against Jason MacDonald before getting caught in the guillotine, lost a CLOSE fight to Kalib Starnes (I had him winning that fight actually) and now his most impressive showing against Terry Martin. I'm looking to forward to seeing how Leben follows up this performance. A lot of people hate the guy, but I think he's matured a lot and Hawaii seems to be a good place for him to be mentally.

Post #4   9/20/07 1:04:06AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm glad Leben looked leaner,he tucked his chin better early, and he did show some improved footwork in the beginning of the fight.Other than that he looked the same to me. I like watching him fight because he always throws down, but I think his reflexes are to slow to ever make the top 10 as a standup fighter, Maybe if he focused on his ground game he could make it that route . I'm glad his attitude has changed some, and I hope he's grown up a little . Still, I think if Martin just went and finished him instead of showboating he would have lost again. Props to him for taking advantage of Martin's mistake, but top 10? I respectfully disagree.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #5   9/20/07 1:07:19AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
He was probably definitly the most improved fighter of the night. Even though the old Chris Leban would have given us a 1st or 2nd round KO for him or Martin, but still, he showed great improvement on the ground almost submitting Terry with that Triangle that looked like was about to tap Martin if the round would have lasted 5-10 seconds longer...

He was patience(Which the lack of got him in trouble against Silva) & He improved his wrestling(Which got him in trouble against starnes) and his ground game in submissions....

Major props to Leban....

Post #6   9/20/07 1:09:11AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
Leben fought like he always does, nothing changed whatsoever. Based on styles I had Chris winning in the 1st place.

Post #7   9/20/07 1:13:50AM   

Vokes

Learning to Sprawl

Career:34-22
Chips:
Yeah he did look a lot leaner, smarter & determined. After that last big blow to his face by Martin something must have triggered in Leben's mind. Be it caveman survival instincts or Leben plan B a.k.a. rush n attack , whatever he changed it seems to be working. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Post #8   9/20/07 3:36:36AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Didn't impress me what so ever.He won fair and square, but the only thing that seemed different to me was he was more focused this time around.He throws so punches and does so foot stomps.He was able to slap on that triangle though.That was nice.

My biggest complaint on Leben was his cardio.He said he had trainded realy hard on his cardio and he still came out and got winded way too fast.

Leben,train on that cardio harder!
It reminded me of one of those fights between Frank Mir and Wes Simms.Fun to watch,but you kind of cringe at the same time.
Congradulations to Leben though.

Post #9   9/20/07 6:54:27AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
Based on what you seen you think his is top 10 now, Christ Quarry looked better them him by your logic Quarry must get the winner of Silva VS Franklin.

I know the UFC MW division is about as deep as a redneck gene pool but there are 10 better guys in the UFC then Leben IM0.

All that being said I don't hate Leben as much after that fight, mostly becuase of his post fight interview

Post #10   9/20/07 7:39:08AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
Ok i ll give it to you guys, he was more patiente but thats about it all the rest is still the same, he always tries to rellly on his chin to save him. He was lucky that Martin did not slam him in the first round but hein s#$t happends right. But leben being in the 10 middleweight in the UFC man you guys are nuts, who has leben fight (except for Silva and we all know how that finish) that was real competition ?

Post #11   9/20/07 7:40:50AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Wonder if he is still going to stick with UFC or go to ICON since that was his last fight on his contract.

Well now that martin lost maybe we can see Cote vs Martin

Post #12   9/20/07 7:58:58AM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I was very surprised that the fight ended that way...Leben was getting owned all the way up until then and then hit him with a haymaker (that I don't even think he was aiming for haha). He won fair and square and ko'd martin, but there's no way this puts him in the top 10.

Post #13   9/20/07 8:29:41AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I like his quote that he has a "button on his head" and when you hit it, he punches. He said himself that he was rocked and was just reacting, not aware of what he was doing really. It made for a great 3rd round.

I think he looked a little more composed and he stayed out of Martin's range for most of the fight. I think that was about as good a performance out of Leben as we are going to see.

Martin, while I believe he will do a lot more improving, needs a ground game.

Post #14   9/20/07 9:23:33AM   

pharside

MMA Regular

pharside Avatar

Career:346-216
Chips:
wow I'm not sure what fight some you guys watched but Leben looked really good to me here what sherdog pbp thought

Chris Leben (Pictures) vs. Terry Martin (Pictures)
Round 1
Leben kicks at the legs while Martin rushes in with a jab and right hands. Martin drops down a level and takes Leben to the canvas with a double-leg takedown. Now back on their feet, Martin lands with a left and a right. Leben answers with two knees to the chin. Leben looks to be the more refined striker but Martin has an obvious power advantage. Herb Dean takes a point from Leben for gripping the fence while Martin attempted to throw him to the floor. Leben gets busy with strikes and briefly lights Martin up with a right hand. Leben stomps the feet before the horn sounds. Close round. 9-9 for Leben (point deduction).

Round 2
Martin looks fatigued in the second. Leben attacks the legs and goes back to foot stomps from the clinch. Just when it looked as if Leben was close to putting it together, Martin scored with a takedown. Leben fires elbows to the head from the bottom. Triangle is applied from Leben, but he runs out of time. 10-9 for Leben.

Round 3
Martin starts to score in the third. He clinches and delivers some knees to the head. Martin crushes the body and follows with a right hand to the chin. Leben answers. Martin is completely gassed but he musters enough energy to sloppily tackle the TUF veteran. Lebe, now equally tired, eats two left hands. Leben tries to trip Martin but the Chicagoan stuffs it and takes the top position. Martin stands. Left hand staggers Leben. Unbelievable ... Leben digs deep and knocks Martin out with a left hand. The time is 3:56 of the final round.

now name 9 better MW's in the UFC

Post #15   9/20/07 10:03:02AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3