Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson's first rematch

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,895-1,080
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I had brought this up in another thread, but thought it might be worth throwing it out there again to see if ya'all had any thought on the subject...

I noticed that Rich is Anderson's first rematch (please correct me if I'm wrong and throw out most of this thread in that case)... Normally I wouldn't have thought twice about this, but it keeps mulling around in my head...

first and foremost let me say, Anderson is one of the most dominant and exciting champs I have seen in a long time... He has a well rounded game and maybe the sickest MT in the MMA world...

With that said, I'd like to bring us all back to their first encounter and remember Rich's words... "I think I can beat him in the clinch"... As he and we all found out was a BAD GAMEPLAN... Now if we take into account a few things here...

1) Rich is a smart person and fighter... It's hard to imagine him making the same mistake twice

2) With the evolution of MMA, I think we've see from guys like Randy and Rampage that a sound gameplan is paramount to winning in octagon

3) Does Rich know what to expect and can he capatalize on this one little thing that might give him an advantage in this fight?

Sorry about the poll guys, hit the wrong button and now I can't edit it

I don't see Rich making the mistake of thinking he can dominate with power on the inside, but he will still suffer the same fate. Randy is able o game plan victories because he exploits a weakness in his opponents games that will allow him to utilize the part of his game that is better than his opponents. In Rich's case I don't think this applies because there is not one aspect of MMA Rich is better at than Anderson. The other problem is Anderson hasn't shown a weakness in about 4 years. His last real loss to Chonnan he didn't resemble the fighter he is today.

Rich is better at wrestling... even though Rich is not that great at it. Silva has never shown the ability to stop the takedown against an opponent who is as strong as him.

Post #16   9/20/07 3:07:20PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
I'm going to watch that fight tonight. Maybe we are underestimating Rich.

Post #17   9/20/07 6:37:48PM   

fightfann

Learning to Sprawl

fightfann Avatar

Career:270-186
Camp: Los Banditos Guapos
Chips:
i don't think rich will have success by staying outside and trying to jab/box Anderson out to a decision. Anderson, unlike chuck, isn't a counter punch, wait for you to come to me, style fighter. i think he will take it to rich, and if Rich tries to stand outside, he is going to be picked apart. Silva's striking is seemingly laser guided.

I think rich could do something if he tried some GnP, as long as he stayed away from the submissions. other than that, i see rich taking damage in the first round, and being overwhelmed in the second. he won't fall into the MT clinch again of course, so it will just take a bit longer.

I am ready for the UFC to get some more competition for A.Silva.

Post #18   9/20/07 7:50:28PM   

ColdCutCombo

Banned

Career:39-26
Chips:
im sorry guys but rich is getting KO'd, i like rich but hes an underdog no matter what anyone says, anderson is a possible reigning champ of the ufc in the middleweight division theres a few fighters i see beating him and one of them is not rich

Post #19   9/21/07 11:13:36PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
Gameplan is essential in winning your fight, in the NFL you always see in the playoffs a team beat the other that already beat them in the season and its because they know their strengths and weaknesses while the other team has to just keep working on their strengths. UFC is jsut the same, a rematch is hard for the winner because they still dont know much about what they should do in the next fight but the same thing simply because it won them the fight the first time. If Rich changes up his gameplan, Anderson Silva cant read his mind but I still think Silva is better

Post #20   9/22/07 12:27:00AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I'm sorry raindrop but I think you were watching a different fight from the rest of us. At no point was Silva anywhere close to being rocked and at no point was Rich winning the standup. The beginning couple of minutes consisted of nothing more than a feeling-out process with a couple of leg kicks here and there and at no point did rich land any sort of 1-2 combination that phased silva. You can claim that Silva's ground game isn't what people claim it to be, but even if that claim were true he would still far outskill rich on the ground, and has outskilled fighters who are far superior to rich on the ground. I don't really know what fight you were watching, and I think Rich has a better chance than most give him credit for, but your entire analysis of that first fight is ludicrous IMO.

Post #21   9/22/07 8:52:17AM   

raindrops21

MMA Regular

raindrops21 Avatar

Career:233-107
Camp: KTFO
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I'm sorry raindrop but I think you were watching a different fight from the rest of us. At no point was Silva anywhere close to being rocked and at no point was Rich winning the standup. The beginning couple of minutes consisted of nothing more than a feeling-out process with a couple of leg kicks here and there and at no point did rich land any sort of 1-2 combination that phased silva. You can claim that Silva's ground game isn't what people claim it to be, but even if that claim were true he would still far outskill rich on the ground, and has outskilled fighters who are far superior to rich on the ground. I don't really know what fight you were watching, and I think Rich has a better chance than most give him credit for, but your entire analysis of that first fight is ludicrous IMO.

Re-watch the fight.

I agree with you that the first couple of minutes were a feeling out process, that's how most fights are. But right before Anderson moved in and started clinching, Rich nails him with a nice punch (may not have been a one-two, I'll have to rewatch that part), and you can clearly see Silva shake his head to try and get rid of the cobwebs. He immediately closes the distance with him and starts the thai clinch.

And I TOTALLY disagree with you that Anderson would outskill Rich on the ground. Silva has ONE win by an actual submission. (By that I mean, not a submission from strikes). And it was against Lutter. Granted Lutter does have a good ground game, it was the upkicks that did him in. Lutter ate two or three upkicks and fell into the triangle.

Now, Anderson has lost two fights by submission and both to "gatekeepers". Ryo Chonan's I'll let slide, because that was such a strange submission. But Anderson didn't finish him off and he's really a 170lber.

His other submission loss was to Daiju Takase. Go watch that fight and see Silva get completely outclassed on the ground by far inferior fighter who also should've been fighting at 170. Silva's ground game in that fight was awful by a "BJJ Blackbelt."

IMO, everyone here is underestimating Rich's ground game. He doesn't have to have great wrestling to take Silva down, Silva's takedown defense is not great.

And as far as your comment about guys that are far superior on the ground than Rich, I see two and neither one of them would beat Franklin in an MMA match. Jeremy Horn and Travis Lutter.

I think Rich has the tools to beat Silva and I think if he has a solid gameplan it will happen. He needs to work some strikes from the outside to set up the take down and then proceed to pass the guard and ground 'n' pound his way to victory.

Post #22   9/26/07 1:56:54PM   

BigEvil

Standup Guy

BigEvil Avatar

Career:342-204
Camp: SC MMA
Chips:
I like both Franklin and Silva. I think overall Slva is the better fighter, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Franklin took this match to set up a really good 3rd swing match!

Post #23   9/26/07 2:01:16PM   

jeremygreen

MMA Regular

jeremygreen Avatar

Career:212-145
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
It will last longer but Rich will still loose, Silva is just too dang good.

Post #24   9/26/07 8:18:50PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2