Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Judging MMA vs. Boxing

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
It was barely four months ago and when Roger Mayweather-Oscar De La Hoya was being billed as the "fight that would save boxing," any right-thinking boxing fan shook his head and passed off the notion as absurd.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   9/19/07 9:21:10AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Another unoriginal boxing vs mma article where the boxing fan writes about how mma will never prevail over boxing, like it's even up for discussion. The truth is self evident no matter how much these sports writers want to deny it.

Post #2   9/19/07 11:01:40AM   

adamal

MMA Regular

adamal Avatar

Career:67-40
Chips:
LAME
I like boxing enough don't get me wrong, I tune in for title fights and even watch the contender fairly regularly, but this article was lame. It started off interesting enough and then the author's bias came through. I was not pleased that he made comments such as Randy Couture is a flavor of the month, and that he seemed to straight up disrespect the Shamrocks and Gracies by just dismissing them. Of course Boxing's history is richer...it's longer!
And what's with Hollywood hasen't even come up with the MMA version of Rocky? Ok so a sport that has only been popular for about five years hasn't had a movie based on it win best picture, shocking! Rocky came out in 1976, Raging Bull in 1980, and the author talks about boxing having its infancy at the turn of the century, well why does boxing get 76 years to make a movie and MMA is a fad because it doesn't have one in 5? Not to mention that this arguement is irrelevant to the whoe discussion of SPORTS!
Finally, there is the discredidation of the MMA auidence. Not in so many words but he basicallly called us droling technology blinded kids who have no respect for history or the way the world really works. We just sit at home drinking red bull and hanging out on MySpace. And since there are no prevelant MMA books we are most illiterate.
I implore boxing fans and writers to think about the things you write before I am forced to read another article as ignorant as this one. Neither Boxing nor MMA are going anywhere and that's just a fact. end the territoriality and paranoia that fuels these articles and try to give the sport a chance. God forbid you enjoy it and see great athletes competing for more reasons than money and fame. Boxing has a sacred place in American sport history and no one wants to mess with that, just don't trash something because it is new. Newer doesn't mean better the author says, but it doesn't mean worse either.

Post #3   9/19/07 11:13:58AM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I agree with absolutely everything said above. To add on to what has already been said, the man is clearley ignorant about the sport.

He said headbutts are legal in the UFC....unless Im mistaken you can not intentionally headbutt anyone and if you can, I have never seen it, and its not like there isnt at least 5 headbutts a match in boxing, they probably have more throughout the course of a match in all honesty.

And when there is a title on the line it is 5 five minute rounds, not 5 three minute rounds. And just cause it is in a "cage", which is a safety precaution, does not mean it is more brutal. At least you dont have to punch your opponent in the head 500 times to win, and no one is going to fall out through the ropes and break their neck.

I love boxing, i watch it on Comcast and ESPN all the time, but I prefer MMA and it doesnt make any sense why some boxing enthusiasts cant see through their ignorance and actually try to learn something new.

Post #4   9/19/07 12:08:40PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
what was the hotdog eating thing have to do with mma?

Post #5   9/19/07 12:12:32PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
I agree that MMA is the combat sport of the future, but at the same time, boxing isnt going anywhere... And when you compare the fight purses, those extra couple zeros on the fighters' checks tell the story. Boxing is nothing to sneeze at.

Post #6   9/19/07 12:17:09PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
This guy obviously has no idea what he is writing about first of all a keylock is not a choke, secondly headbutts are not legal, an third championship fights are five five minute rounds not three minute rounds. you would really think a jounalist would maybe do some research before making himself look like a complete ass. this was one of the most poorly written articles i have ever read. all of his lame metaphores and analagies did not even make any sence. i dont know how he can comment on mma fans when he doesnt even know anything out mma. next time try doing a little research before u make a fool of yourself.

Post #7   9/19/07 12:25:11PM   

CiaoBaby

MMA Regular

CiaoBaby Avatar

Career:688-482
Camp: The Fatherless Bastards
Chips:
If anyone reads these post before reading the article please let me save you some time and sum it up for you..."Boxing is the greatest thing EVER! MMA is alright I guess." Yet another ignorant article in which not one valid point is made on a topic that has been beaten to dealth. Don't waste your time reading it, nothing interesting said.

Post #8   9/19/07 12:45:41PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Always, and I mean ALWAYS, read what I post. That is a order.

Peace

Zep

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #9   9/19/07 12:46:50PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by wrona666

This guy obviously has no idea what he is writing about first of all a keylock is not a choke, secondly headbutts are not legal, an third championship fights are five five minute rounds not three minute rounds. you would really think a jounalist would maybe do some research before making himself look like a complete ass. this was one of the most poorly written articles i have ever read. all of his lame metaphores and analagies did not even make any sence. i dont know how he can comment on mma fans when he doesnt even know anything out mma. next time try doing a little research before u make a fool of yourself.

Hey, pot! This is the kettle calling you black!

Next time you berate a professional writer on his poor writing skills, be sure to use a capital letter or even spell check if you want... Might save you from repeating his "fool-making" experience...

Post #10   9/19/07 12:51:25PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
he says boxing is alive and well.. if this was a fight between boxing and mma, boxing would be on its back turtling while mma was raining down bombs. Only time will tell if mma can survive the test of time, but to put boxing off the map in 5 years has gotta say something

Post #11   9/19/07 1:10:17PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
sorry my grammer and punctuation is not up to ur standards. when i said it was a poorly written aritcle i was talking about his knowledge and content of the article. like i am really woried out capitalizing letters.............

Post #12   9/19/07 1:30:46PM   

moosejaw

Learning to Sprawl

moosejaw Avatar

Career:26-18
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
I have thought of a few analogies to put this whole Boxing vs. MMA into perspective.

It is really like comparing:

Baseball vs. Basketball vs. Soccer vs. Cricket (they all use balls, so one must be better than the other.)

Tennis vs. Golf

Boxing vs. MMA

Sure in Boxing and MMA you can hit eachother. There is the only resemblance.

They are two completely different athletic events...

More than likely if you put an MMA guy in a boxing match he would get throttled against a top pro.

More than likely if you put a boxer in any type of fighting match other than boxing, he will get SCHOOLED.

Now a superior boxer who chooses to fight in MMA and catch up with their athletic ability has the same shot at winning as any MMA fighter with a superior discipline(Judo, Wrestling, Jiu-Jitsu.)

Anytime I read or hear someone say that a Boxer could hold his own in an MMA fight I laugh. I will laugh equally as hard if an MMA fighter says they would put a beating on Floyd Mayweather in a boxing ring(proving they are the same weight class.)

Two different sports, with a couple things in common. That's it. MMA does not seem to claim that their fighters are superior boxers to boxing, they claim that their fighters would destroy any boxers in an MMA match.

Many boxers and boxing enthusiasts are attacking MMA, claiming that their boxers could kick an MMA fighters ass in an MMA fight. Get lost, shut up, or put your money where your mouth is.

Post #13   9/19/07 2:57:50PM   

buildingblocks5150

Learning to Sprawl

Career:58-19
Camp: Animal House
Chips:
MMA is more of an eye-grabbing fast paced sport that appeals to the younger genertions. This is why crochety old sports columnists dont like it in the same way that my parents dont like punk rock or rap music and my grand parents didnt like the rolling stones and so down the generations.

The truth of the matter is though that MMA can only help make boxing audiances larger. As MMA picks up fight fans that wouldnt have normaly have watched a boxing match those fans will become more interested in the different aspects of the game and some will begin to watch boxing.

Five years ago no one had any clue what jui jitsu was and now there are schools all over the nation. In fact i could point u to 4 of them within 20 minutes of my house. Now guess what else all of these gyms have,,,,,,,give up..... boxing instructors as well as kick boxing and judo and so on. The point im trying to make is that MMA is just a spring board for people to take intrest in combat sports and what is good for MMA is good for boxing.

As far as one sport being better than the other is a matter of opinion. Some people like to chase a little white ball across a field with a club and I like to roll around on mats with dudes. I dont think anyone wants to watch me play golf with Tiger Woods and putting him in a grappling match with me would be just as pointless. Apples and oranges.

Post #14   9/19/07 4:59:25PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
This guy said Roger Mayweather when its Floyd Mayweather......Wow what are you doing?????????????

Post #15   9/20/07 10:25:37PM