Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cigars?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Anyone smoke cigars around here?

I wanted something to do while out for walks before winter hits, so I got a sample box of cigars from a friend and have enjoyed them. Anyone have any favorites or recommendations?

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #1   9/19/07 4:02:33AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
I don't smoke Cigars, but the 3 things I hear from Cigar smokers are these...

1. Get Cuban (unless you are in the US)
2. Don't smoke acids (the flavoured cigar brand, apparently they taste crap and make all your other cigars that you store with them in your humidor)
3. Get a decent Humidor

Personally, I've never smoked one, never will, never even tried a cigarette, so I don't suppose I'll start now!

Post #2   9/19/07 7:17:11AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
I have been to Cuba Cohiba are the best IMO a close second is Monte Cristo and the 3rd is Romeo and Julieta
I have a Humidor if you dont have one most high end cigars come in a small metal tude with a cedar lining store them in your fridge in the crisper it helps them not dry out as quick.

Post #3   9/19/07 7:39:23AM   

EddieBowers

MMA Regular

EddieBowers Avatar

Career:126-96
Camp: TX Ground and Pound
Chips:
I have been smoking cigars for about 8 years. The one thing I have learned is it is best to just go in smell one.. If you like the way it smells buy it. The thing is one person may say that the Romeo y Julieta is the best (I love them personally), while others may say that a Partigas (spelling?) The thing is which one. Some cigars come in Light (mild flavor), medium, and maduro (again spelling) otherwise known for its bold or full bodied flavor. I like the mild to medium flavored cigars. Now when I say flavor I am not meaning cherry, or honey, although those are not bad sometimes. With that I say try the Romeo’s, also there is a brand called CAO, they are always ranked in the top 10 according to several cigar magazines. The size I like is the Torpedo; they are a nice 35 min smoke, maybe 45 min.

Post #4   9/19/07 9:13:59AM   

gspgnp

MMA Regular

gspgnp Avatar

Career:212-117
Chips:
By far the best cigars around are Cohiba Espléndidos. They are all hand rolled in the Cohiba factory and for extra shits and giggles, this is the only kind that Fidel smokes. Although they get pretty pricey if you are in the states as for some reason you guys still have that trade embargo on Cuba.

Post #5   9/19/07 11:10:48AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
Cohiba Espléndidos i hear they are good to

Post #6   9/19/07 12:19:32PM   

HulkRage

Standup Guy

HulkRage Avatar

Career:1,211-825
Camp: Mountain Top Fight Camp
Chips:
You can't go wrong with a CAO of any kind, they are on the pricey side, the Brazillia is great, has a small bit to it. The Italia is good as well, but the good old Gold is a good place to start.

The best cigar that I have ever smoked was a La Perla Habana.

I am not in to the darker wrappers like Oscuro, or basic Maduro, but I have had some good ones.

JR cigar is a good place to get cigars at a good price and you can get there brade of cigar as well and some are very good. It is worth looking in to.

Last edited 9/19/07 2:17PM server time by HulkRage
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   9/19/07 2:16:30PM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Posted by gspgnp

By far the best cigars around are Cohiba Espléndidos. They are all hand rolled in the Cohiba factory and for extra shits and giggles, this is the only kind that Fidel smokes. Although they get pretty pricey if you are in the states as for some reason you guys still have that trade embargo on Cuba.

I have been to that factory it is pretty cool. If the colour of the cigar isn't flawless they through them out and make cheaper cigars with them.

Post #8   9/19/07 2:32:56PM   

jnjjacob

MMA Regular

jnjjacob Avatar

Career:215-128
Camp: North Carolina Fight Team
Chips:
Cuesta Rey No. 9

Medium bodied at a very reasonable price.

Post #9   9/19/07 4:37:11PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Yeah can't get Cubans here, although my friends dad occasionally goes to the Dominican Republic and smuggles a box or two back, but last I checked he was all out.

I've got an Oliva Special S and a Punch Rare Corojo at the moment. Expensive hobby, but so far its been nice.

I learn towards medium cigars, although a Maduro is nice every now and again, but only the smaller sizes, as they get to be a bit much after an hour or so.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #10   9/19/07 4:57:37PM   

k_lup07

MMA Regular

Career:137-75
Camp: East Coast Top Team
Chips:
get a philly and bust it, fill it with that green tobaccy. thats a good cigar

i puff a strawberry cigarillo on some occassions

Post #11   9/19/07 6:02:44PM   

gspgnp

MMA Regular

gspgnp Avatar

Career:212-117
Chips:

Posted by thepunisher

Posted by gspgnp

I have been to that factory it is pretty cool. If the colour of the cigar isn't flawless they through them out and make cheaper cigars with them.

I didn't know that. That's pretty cool. It explains why they have such good cigars though.
A buddy of mine got me a full box of those when he went to Cuba for only $125. That's only 5$ per cigar and I got the cool cigar box that I still have. Because Cohiba Espléndidos are so expensive, I sold 5-6 of the cigars and covered my costs and then smoked the rest.
My buddy went for the world fencing championships in Cuba and his coach was good friends with the Cuban coach who just happened to work at the factory. His coach slipped the cuban coach the cash and he snuck the box out the back door for him.

Post #12   9/20/07 2:57:23PM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
Close, but Castro's cigar of choice is a Trinidad Fundadore. It looks a lot like an esplendidos.

I've been smoking cigars for about 7 years now.

Some good NC (non-cuban for us americans):

Just about anything by Fuente. They have a huge line of cigars and they are the #1 seller of NC cigars for a reason. Very consistant and very pleasing. If you have the budget, the Opus X line is top notch, even among cubans. Every cigar aficianado knows and smokes a few of these from time to time.

If you come across a Fuente Anejo, its a top notch cigar. Highly sought after by enthusiasts, they are only manufactured during the holidays, so they are slightly rare. This is a cognac barrel aged maduro from Fuente.

Padron makes amazing cigars as well. Their maduros are the best in the business, hands down. Check out their anniversario line in '64s or '26's. Both are outstanding cigars. Ranked as one of the best maduros in the world. (Maduro being a dark wrapper, the cigars smell and taste slightly of cocoa). Really, anything by Padron is awesome, but particularly their maduros.

Tatuaje is a new brand being produced in california from havana tobacco seed. These guys make some good cigars, very cuban-esque. If you can't get a hold of real habanos, these are the next best thing. Very close to cuban taste and smell.

CAO make very good cigars. I love their Cameroon cigars.

La Flor Dominicana make some really good, really STRONG cigars. Not for the novice, but they are good.

In the cuban world of cigars, everything changes. Cohibas NC cigars are terrible, but their cubans are the best in the world. Of course they are completely different companies using the same brand name. Monte's are very popular, as well as partagas, R&J, Ramone Allones, and others.

PM me if you'd like a little sample.

If you are going to keep cigars for longer than a few days, they need humidification. Cigar shops will sell a "humi-pak", which is basically a zip lock with a 2 way humidifier in it. The humidifier will last for quite a long time, making this a very good buy.

You don't need anything fancy. Most of the guys I know will put their cigars in a cooler and add some beads (called a coolerdor). Beads are the best things out there for keeping humidity, and easy too. You won't need a hygrometer or any other device. Coolers keep moisture in (almost too well), and the beads keep the humidity right at 70%.

Sorry for the wall o' text.

Post #13   9/20/07 5:56:14PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Picked up a CAO Brazil and a Monteterry Excaliber last night. Smoked a Rare Punch Cojoro, which I wasn't too into.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #14   9/23/07 7:55:26PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I have a box of Fuente Gran Reserva that I share with house guests. I always enjoy them.

Post #15   9/24/07 1:51:26AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2