Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lackluster becomes Spectacular

Print  
Posted By Message

Art_Vandelay

Learning to Sprawl

Art_Vandelay Avatar

Career:416-249
Camp: Vandelay Industries
Chips:
Pride 31: Dreamers

On paper, it was nothing special. A few HW stars taking on undersized opponents of lesser calibre, and a few LHW's moving up to a HW class that was likely a better fit. Top it off with a classic freakshow match-up involving a limited boxer giving up 100 lbs to a MMA and K-1 veteran.

During the event, I and fellow viewers complained of let downs, and the general consensus was that 31 was a B effort.

After watching several matches from this seemingly lackluster card tonight, I am forced to question the positive benefit unification has brought MMA fans, in terms of entertainment value. Yes, the top 10 lists will be ranked with greater ease, and there may be superfights under one promotion that were only dreams of the past.

Nothing the UFC has put out since the merger can rival this event in enjoyability.
The atmosphere created was simply superior.

Hunt-Nishijima alone makes nearly every post-Arlovski UFC HW title match and all but a few non-title match ups look like a borefest.

I am not rooting against the UFC. As the primary org, I have no choice but to hope for their success. Unfortunately, it's the things that won't change (format, presentation, rules) and not the fighters that presents my turn to apathy.

Here's to hoping that the Pokemon approach leads the UFC toward an enjoyable future.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   9/15/07 3:17:04AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
if i had to pick ufc or pride id go with ufc

Post #2   9/15/07 9:03:11PM